Shopping on eBay

I am new to the eBay community and what I have read so far about the scams people are trying to pull off just makes me more weary of using eBay to sell handbags I sell in my store. Can anyone offer advice if you have been in a similiar situation with scams and if it is worth the hassle?

I've never been scammed. But then again , i would never buy anything from a seller w/ zero feedback, same item out in different sizes, or negative feedback about selling fakes.

Can someone please answer this question: How do you switch the payment method info on paypal? I want to use a credit card instead of a debit, but I don't know where I can make that change.

thanks in advanced!

LoveMyBoots said:
Can someone please answer this question: How do you switch the payment method info on paypal? I want to use a credit card instead of a debit, but I don't know where I can make that change.

thanks in advanced!

1. Under "My Account", click on "Profile".
2. Under "Financial Information", click on "Credit Cards".
3. Bottom right corner, click on the button "Add".
4. Enter your information.
5. Then you can either make this your primary method of payment, or when you go to pay for an item, click on "More Funding Options" in the blue "Payment Method" box, and then you can choose the credit card.

Hopefully this makes sense! Let me know if you have any more questions. :flower:

thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind the next time I make a payment since I couldn't wait, and just paid with the debit. Thanks again! :smile:

novella said:
^ That's a good tip and I always do that before I list an item. It does get tricky when no one tried to sell the same item(s) within the last 30 days. I also think it's a good idea to list either how much you paid for it/its retail value, whichever is higher, but to have a low starting bid because it'll encourage more people to bid for a possible deal. :wink:

I definitely second starting your listing at a low bid. Has always worked best for ome.

Also, the time you list your item is very important. I usually list my items on Sunday nights - and if during the week, a time when people of all time zones (in your country or area) will still be awake. In the U.S. I time my listings to end 7:30 pm Eastern, 10:30 pm Pacific.

However, as a buyer... it's pretty cool when an item ends at an unusual time, such as during the day... a lot of people aren't waiting around the computer placing their last bids. I know I often forget about auctions if they're ending during the day or in the middle of the night.

onepiececherry1.jpg

Photo:ebay

I just bought this (brand new of course) on e-bay! Mine is white though by Esther Williams

Pic from eBay.ie

Just got this Dior Monsieur dress shirt for just over a tenner, euro that is! Harharhar, am so chuffed.

I usually buy my bags in reputable stores – designer boutiques, Saks, Barneys, etc.

BUT, a few months ago I was trolling eBay and saw a current season YSL Downtown Bag in Ivory listed by a seller with nearly all positive feedback, and lots of it. This is a bag i love, but I couldn't part with $1500 for it. So, when I found it on eBay for about a third of the price, I was so excited. As I said, the seller had great ratings, so against my better judgement, I went for it.

Holy @*#*, what a nightmare. The bag was fake. A good fake, but fake, nonetheless. The seller (starry88888) swore up and down that it was real, saying her friend is a buyer at Saks and she gets her merch from her, but I know for sure it was fake. I already had two other YSL bags – and this one was not equal in quality – sloppy glue, poor stitching, etc. It was real leather, but it was not real YSL. The seller agreed to take it back, but it took nearly 10 weeks to resolve the entire transaction. This woman makes a business of selling fake bags and pretends they come from Saks.

My husband bought me a gorgeous AUTHENTIC red YSL Downtown from Bergdorfs for Christmas

Anyway, just be careful. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is. I like to buy from sellers who have receipts for the merchandise. For the most part, I think the popularity of fake handbags make buying them on eBay too risky. I'm not sure if I'd buy another.

On the other hand, I've had great luck with LV and Hermes scarves, CL shoes and tons of other things.

/\ i wouldn't say most, but definately the majority of auctions that use stock photos or if they are located in asia. there'a quite a lot of authentic MJ, BCBG, LV on there. a lot of people who sell shop outlet stores, nordstroms rack, discount places and clearance on NM, BG And places like saks. i window shop a lot to see whats in my local discount places and almost always there's the same thing listed on ebay, with the sellers attempting to get retail and not the clearance price they paid for it.
That's what I was going to say. I've been lucky having never bought a fake off eBay, but I can spot a fake pretty well. I always ask questions and for pictures of the original item---never ever buy something based off of a stock image. I also never buy anything out of Hong Kong. And if it's super, super cheap, there's a reason for it, so I only bid on things that are reasonable. I also don't bid on any item if the seller has even ONE feedback that says "FAKE." Sometimes there are retaliatory assholes (I had one myself one time) but I won't take the chance with my money. You gotta have 100% feedback and have sold many items throughout the years!!! If they have then you pretty much now they're real because someone would have said something by now.

I also find that a good way to tell is to tell the seller that as soon as you receive the bag you will be bringing it into a local boutique for authentication. If they never reply to you after that (which some haven't) you know it's a fake. :lol: Some may be sly but I've found that that scares of a loooot of sellers.

I also like to buy from people who post receipts or say that they bought it but have no need for it anymore. I've gotten some beautiful bags from women who just didn't have a need for it, didn't sell a whole lot on ebay except for a few of their items. Those items are usually real. It's the "stores" that are hard to trust.

Of course you don't want someone with NO feedback, but... you can just tell. Most of the time anyway.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, when it comes to LV, there's a FANTASTIC website that with authenticate the bag for you for a very small fee. Some REAL sellers also post this in their listing to prove that their bag is indeed authentic. I always look for "mypoupette" authentication when it comes to LV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes there are retaliatory assholes (I had one myself one time) but I won't take the chance with my money.

don't you hate that? I think it's the one thing about the ebay feedback system that is faulty. in my case stated previously, i did not want to take the chance with leaving negative. i knew the seller would leave me neg in return if i did so for her. in the end, she's got thousands of positives (99+%) and people don't know she's selling fakes. she does have quite a few "mutually withdrawns" though, so that could be a sign. it is so frustrating.

i got a negative once for leaving someone neutral (the box on a collector's item arrived crushed becasue it packed really poorly). can you believe?

overall, i LOVE ebay though.
there are just some bad apples out there. :yuk: :argg: :evil:

^ Yes, the feedback system is a bit faulty, I will agree on that.

Ebay is great - I don't know what I'd do with it. :heart:

I do not use it buy or sell designer merchandise, but it's just so fun anyway.

For me, eBay is a fantastic source for "all things sold out in stores".:lol: You just have to know your sellers ... I've been eBaying for six or seven years and 99.9% of my buying/selling experiences have been great. One thing that bothers me though is the wait time between the time you purchase/paid for something and the time it takes for the item to arrive.

^ That can get frustrating.

I know that as a seller, who is also a buyer, I try to ship items out the next day and if not, the day after.

^ tuffy's is REAL! they've one of the biggest ebay sellers of AA items. :smile:

Love$2shop said:
For me, eBay is a fantastic source for "all things sold out in stores".
lol.gif

totally agree on that. and you can usually get it for way cheaper than in the store (unless you end up in a bidding war with other buyers). :P i think ebay is also pretty good for affordable vintage items...

I am addicted to buying and selling. If the price seems to good to be true, don't go for it - it's probably fake. ALWAYS check the seller's feedback, a great tool to see all the negatives at once is Toolhaus.org. Also, I hate to say this and don't mean to sound prejudgice or anything, but check the country of the seller. I find that a lot of fakes are coming from Hong Kong....just be careful. Never do a wire transfer for payment or anything like that - you may never see your money again if you end up getting a fake. Some people say PayPal is unsafe but I think its the best method because you can always do a chargeback if you end up getting a fake item, or not receiving your item.

Have fun!!!

your comment cought my eye because i thought i was the only one who did that.

i just scored these past few days

american eagle hoodie $6
gucci tan logo loafers $ 25
ralph lauren vintage looking lace up leather boot's:heart::heart: $20

minus the S&H

i'm on a roll wining all the thing a really wanted now i can't stop

I'm actually very iffy about Ebay and don't shop on it. Certain things I just can't use if someone else had it. Like a purse. I don't know but I don't know who they are and what they put in there. And same thing goes with clothes and everything else. I can be a "clean freak" sometimes and that would be out of my "comfort zone", lol.

has anyone seen this from beckm07 ? if anyone has access to these site plz share with the rest of us

http://cgi.ebay.com/List-of-23-discounted-AUTHENTIC-MIU-MIU-PRADA-sites_W0QQitemZ130203215229QQihZ003QQcategoryZ63852QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Guys and Gals, you are purchasing a list of 23 sites at which you will find DEEPLY DISCOUNTED & AUTHENTIC MIU MIU PRADA purses and other accessories! ******I DO NOT HAVE A PURSE FOR SALE!!!!!!***THIS AUCTION IS NOT FOR A PURSE!!!!
I, too, have spent many many hours searching auctions for a great deal on MIU MIU PRADA products. I have narrowed down your search and I am sharing with you all of the best kept secret finds available online.
It is WELL worth the extra $ and time to invest in this handy information.
**Winners will receive an email at their PAYPAL acct email within 24 hours of receipt of payment.- ~PAYPAL ONLY~
Thank you and have a great day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misanita
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->