1883-1971 Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

Thanks for posting the documentaries , I envy so much to french speakers now :(:(:cry::cry:...

Actually I don't see much resemblance to Anna Wintour , Anna in my eyes is a bit scary....:flower: and also their styles are different and I think there is no one who can remind of Coco since she was a very strong personality with a style different from anyone else (but it's my conclusion of course)

If there is any French speaker who would be willing to write English subtitles on the youtube video please let me know and I can send a link :flower: That would be great. I can't understand much :(

Thanks for all of those Sethii- very nice of you to go to this trouble...! B)

I read everything about her I can find, and I have to agree with Karl- I don't think I would have liked her very much in person...:huh: She was a difficult woman to be around by all accounts demanding, rude and judgmental-although with her rather average looks and string of world class friends and lovers, she must have been able to be quite charming when she was in the mood (or when it was in her own interest...) Very complex woman... Thank God for Karl- I imagine her legacy could be all but forgotten by now if he had not understood and taken her concepts forward all of these years! :wink:

Scans from Couture: The Great Fashion Designers by Caroline Rennolds Milbank

Captions:
1st photo: Horst portrait of Chanel in the Thirties.
2nd photo: Detail of a Chanel suit from the Twenties
3rd photo: Chanel suit, May 1935.
4th photo: Gloria Swanson dressed by Chanel for Tonight or Never, 1931
5th, 6th, & 7th: (On the pages).
8th photo: A white charmeuse evening dress, summer 1935.*

*The last photo was posted in #255, by DosViolines. My scan of this dress is not of great quality, but you can see more of the details. :flower:

Scanned by Flyme2themoon

i watched an older movie called Coco Chanel a few nights ago -young Chanel as Barbora Bobulova and late Chanel as Shirley MacLaine. There was the war with the Nazis and at the hospital Coco volunteered to design the new nurse's uniforms.. Did that really happen, does anyone know? Right after she had gone into a fabric shop to buy a lot of jersey...
I liked the uniforms a lot, as I did with the uniforms for the workers at her atelier. I can't find pictures of any of this online though

BTW, are there any "rumors" already about how this movie is?

It has not been getting great reviews... :( Gius, I'll check the books about this event...sounds vaguely familiar though...

from L'Officiel ...
1932 ...

weird enough, i cannot seem to find anything before the 1930s ...
why that ?

- jalou archives -

by the way, they are from different issues of L'Officiel, but I forgot to add the issue number ...

- jalou archives -

^ Fantastic!! Thank you so much!! B) Which brings me to one of my big questions: Granted, Chanel is a private company owned by a single family, granted they have been secretive for decades, but: they evidently have massive archives, and given that Chanel may well be the greatest force in the history of fashion- why have they not at least started doing some coffee table histories of the company and it's products?? I have pretty much all the published material (assembled over several years due to the cost...) and I am sure they have a hundred times as much in their files, not to mention that Karl is said to have a like amount in his personal collection!! It is time guys- get publishing!! :woot: :flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
The back of the wedding gown on the right is impressive, I'd love to see the real thing.

advertisments ...

from 1946 to 1953
- date can be found in the image file name -

- same source -

Wonderful new book- "The Gospel According to Coco Chanel" by Karen Karbo- Highly recommended! Very entertaining and fun to read with some great insight to the whole world of Chanel! B)

Some Chanel from the 1920s !!
^_^

on the first image, it is said to be 2 models from Chanel on the right. Drawings by Olga Thomas, from Vogue Continental Edition, 15 feb. 1920
on the second image, two models of Chanel on the right - on the left is Lanvin.
photos by Steichen, from Vogue (France) oct. 1924

ebay.fr

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->