2012 Style Resolutions

softgrey

flaunt the imperfection
Reaction score
Better late than never...
^_^

what personal style resolutions are you making for the year ahead?!...

anything new you want to try...
old habits you want to break...

???...

B)

As always, great post Softgrey!

This 2012 I´m going to try to keep my wardrobe MINIMAL, that is resist the temptation to add more of the same thing. This works like this, when I like something I tend to get too much items more or less identical. Bottom line, I end up bored of the look I started loving.
So I´m telling myself: You already HAVE a piece like this, wear it!!

Of course it´s only logical to have some rotation on clothing but sometimes too much is a waste of money and also, unnecesary, because you can, yes I CAN wear the same thing many times in different ways. I really don´t need 5 jeans sooooo similar I can only discern. One or two is just enough.

So, my resolution is RESISTING the urge of buying lots of similar pieces. And also, don´t be afraid to repeat clothes, nobody cares, nobody notices. If I like something, why "save" it why wear another one, similar, but not the same.

I have a lot of clothes I like, and I gotta urge myself to add only when there´s a gap, and not to hoard clothes that are more or less the same.
It´s like I fear I´ll never find any other piece like that, a fear that´s ABSOLUTELY ridiculous, because every year million of clothes are thrown to the market. Only once in a while you can be sure that an item is unique and it´s wortwhile to lay hands on an extra.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree great thread. ^_^

First of all, I want to clean my closet, I have too many things that I never wear, and know I never will wear again. I also have too many things that needs to be customized. :wacko:

Secondly I'm on the lookout for nice tops, preferably blouses or shirts. That means no t-shirts but no fancy things either, just nice ones for everyday use. I don't really have enough of those.

i think my style resolutions are to continue to build a sense of 'uniform' with my wardrobe....to buy less cheap items and more investment pieces...to take better care of my clothes....and to once in a while try something new (i just bought a plaid shirt - something i thought i'd never wear - and i love it). :heart:

Similar to the posters before me I hope to edit my wardrobe down to the pieces I love, give or take a few fancy "Art pieces". I have already found a uniform that varies slightly each season so my style can only be added upon by more men's staple pieces necessary for the minor occasions where sneakers are better than shoes, suit superior to leather jacket. I do hope to buy more Geller and other "American Designers" as I rein in my spending I find that European and Japanese designers are hurting my savings.

Secondly I'm on the lookout for nice tops, preferably blouses or shirts. That means no t-shirts but no fancy things either, just nice ones for everyday use. I don't really have enough of those.
This!, I'm the same as you, I always seem to have a shortage of tops that are just okay in any context and not too informal or too fancy.

1. Do more second-hand shopping. I don't know why I slowed down so much, my favorite pieces that I wear all the time are all vintage finds.
2. Wear more feminine dresses.
3. Learn how to wear rings (sounds so silly but I always get so anxious I take them off anywhere I can and consequently lose them, I can't even remember the last ring I bought..).
4. Make a top or a dress myself. I've realised I will never find the perfect white linen top and white/printed dress, so I decided I should buy some fabric, watch some tutorial and try my luck.. but I'm so scared of being horrified by the result that I keep leaving it for another day, and I really want to try it!.
5. Buy more eveningwear. I don't go out much so I've stopped adding fun pieces to my wardrobe and when I really need to go out, I'm always turned off by my lack of choices or the idea of thinking hard on what to wear.
6. Find the perfect white/cream/black leather tote where I can fit my laptop.
7. Last but probably the more important one and related to how I feel when dressing up: t-o-n-e u-p!. :muscles:

Due to my previous resolutions to stop spending so much on clothes and to wear what I already have, combined with the physical deterioration over time of much of said existing clothing, I am currently looking to perfect a new amalgamated style from the remnants of the three motifs most present in my wardrobe (metaphorically speaking, since I don't have an actual wardrobe).
  1. Streetwear/skater (mostly represented by sneakers)
  2. "Americana" (mostly represented by jeans in various cuts but of sturdy denim)
  3. Gothninja (Rick Owens, Number (N)ine, Guidi, M.A+, Carpe Diem, et. al., mostly meaning boots, jackets and jeans)
I will call this style Gothninjameriskater. I have been experimenting with it. It's tricky. It doesn't always work, but I am encouraged by the fact that what I am doing appalls the "brand synergy" police. So if I am able to pull it off, it will be a coup. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
tangerine, isnt vision street wear supposed to be making some sort of hipster come back? i used to think the line was cheesy faux skater back in the day - but who knows the brand could ressurect itself in a cool way. so could some other cool skater brands.

here are my style resolutions:

1, like mulletpproof, i need to wear more jewelry. i got my ears pierced for the first time at 24. (i'm a late bloomer, LOL) since then i only wear earrings occasionally. sometimes i dont have time to put them on in the morning before work. i need to make time. this is an easy way to complete my look and look more polished.

2. stop clinging to the same items again and again. too often in the summer time i resort to a "screw it-its too damn hot out-i'm going to wear cutoffs and tanks" sensibility (then again i dont have AC in my hot-as-hell house:blush:)

3. wear the designer runway stuff i actually have. otherwise its a terrible waste.

4. this is silly, but i'd like to go vegas or texas and find some sort of western outfit. B)

My resolutions:

• Wearing my dry denim jeans until they are faded to make a personal worn pair of jeans.
  • Wear more bracelets, since I got my new watch I stopped wearing those. I need to get some new ones because the ones I have are mostly cheap crap.
  • Grow my hair.
  • Get a suit.
  • Buy more socks, because I've got way to many singles.. :innocent:

1. Like most here, cleaning out my closet even more until I only have perfect pieces that really suit my style.

2. Stop buying black as a neutral color and buy more navy, grey and camel. They've proven to be way easier to combine - plus they look softer and more flattering on me.

3. Buy one piece with a print. I'm usually a girl of solid one color pieces but I'd like to have a print for a change. It has to be small scale though and should fit my color scheme. Oh, and I don't want to go overboard with prints though. I don't think I'll jump the combine-print-with-print-bandwagon.

4. Buy less colorful nail polish. I get tired of it so easily. I'll focus more on nudes and Rouge Noire.

5. Try to follow my style rules in at least 95% of my pieces, even if they are LOTS of things I feel attracted to :D

My style resolutions are the same every single year - less black, more skirts, learn how to accessorize - and year after year I fail miserably :lol:
I recently saw the Dries van Noten Spring collection is store and my goal is to own everything from that collection because every piece is stunning beyond belief. So if my budget allows me to buy a few of those pieces I suppose my motivation to break out of my all black urban gothic comfort zone a bit would increase a lot :P
I must say I find my style has evolved a lot in the last 2 years, which I believe is mainly due to me doing all my shopping in the sales in London and discovering fantastic online shops, and I feel great and always very much myself so it's not like I'm in for any drastic changes this year. I'll just continue adding nice quality pieces to my wardrobe that I get a lot of wear out of and make me feel good and I will try not to follow trends or be held back by what other might think about my outfit and look ^_^

Love this post! I guess my biggest style resolution is to buy more causal options rather than wearing the same tshirts and shorts all the time so I literally don't look as though I rolled out of bed...I need to look my best at all times even if it is going to the grocery store!

Best wishes to everyone in 2012! <3

-Find a pair of jeans that I like. I have an ongoing feud with denim pants (not jackets oddly)
-Wear more separates rather than dresses all the time!
- Experiment with different textures and materials rather than colour or print (I have plenty variety where this is concerned)

To dress more like the 20 something adult that I am and less like a teenager.

My resolutions
  • Buy more socks, because I've got way to many singles.. :innocent:

you should declare sock bankruptcy. find a bunch of the same brand+style of sock on sale and buy 20 pairs. then throw away all the ones you have that cant be matched. lifes too short to spend time hunting for sock matches if you ask me!

lucy- you might find this interesting...
manuel made a lot of elvis presley's clothing...
he's based in nashville..
:flower:

http://wearitoutmanuel.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_12

yup, i'm familiar with him! i also want to stumble upon a Nudie item!!! i've always liked the nudie suit nudie made for gram parsons back in the day!

1. to invest more in beautifully made chelsea boots. i only have 2 at the moment. but they are the only shoes i want to wear for 8 month of the year. i realize they are classic, timeless, both feminine and masculine, sleek but rugged. i never feel either too dress up or too dress down in it. just the perfect shoes for me, really. forget about other shoes, chealsea boots are the shoe investment for life.
2. to wear more dresses. i'm really not a pant/jeans person, no matter how hard i try. i just find them boring. dresses give more structure to my tiny body. focus on the shape, the waistline, the silhouette. i need some structure to look good. shapeless things will drown me into a sack.
3. to make a little more effort. not to be afraid to make a statement. try not to look too boring or plain. go for a little bit excitement here and there, yet stay comfy and true to myself. i'm a casual dresser, so to dress up a little bit takes some effort. but i do realize wearing a beautiful dress instead of a plain v-neck sweater does makes me a happier person in the end of the day.

more chelsea boots, more...

pic: yoox

Attachments

• 44351262sf_12_a.jpg
    44351262sf_12_a.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 5
you should declare sock bankruptcy. find a bunch of the same brand+style of sock on sale and buy 20 pairs. then throw away all the ones you have that cant be matched. lifes too short to spend time hunting for sock matches if you ask me!

That's exactly what I'm gonna do :lol:
Only bad thing is that I like colouren and printed socks. So I might have to keep a few of those.. :ninja:

As always, great post Softgrey!

This 2012 I´m going to try to keep my wardrobe MINIMAL, that is resist the temptation to add more of the same thing. This works like this, when I like something I tend to get too much items more or less identical. Bottom line, I end up bored of the look I started loving.
So I´m telling myself: You already HAVE a piece like this, wear it!!

Of course it´s only logical to have some rotation on clothing but sometimes too much is a waste of money and also, unnecesary, because you can, yes I CAN wear the same thing many times in different ways. I really don´t need 5 jeans sooooo similar I can only discern. One or two is just enough.

So, my resolution is RESISTING the urge of buying lots of similar pieces. And also, don´t be afraid to repeat clothes, nobody cares, nobody notices. If I like something, why "save" it why wear another one, similar, but not the same.

I have a lot of clothes I like, and I gotta urge myself to add only when there´s a gap, and not to hoard clothes that are more or less the same.
It´s like I fear I´ll never find any other piece like that, a fear that´s ABSOLUTELY ridiculous, because every year million of clothes are thrown to the market. Only once in a while you can be sure that an item is unique and it´s wortwhile to lay hands on an extra.

i do the same thing...totally illogical i know....this is my resolution as well

Only wear what fits.

I need to pay less attention to the size tag and if I need to, swallow my pride and go up a size. Oh, and I need to remember to take things to the dry cleaner (and pick them up) :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adspttsa
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->