2012 Style Resolutions

To say no to polyester! It's not good value if you iron through it. Good quality investment pieces give me so much more confidence in day to day life.

you should declare sock bankruptcy. find a bunch of the same brand+style of sock on sale and buy 20 pairs. then throw away all the ones you have that cant be matched. lifes too short to spend time hunting for sock matches if you ask me!

Sock bankruptcy :rofl: I've started making a toy for my dog out of my worn-out and castoff socks ... just tying them together with ribbon. But somehow I gather it doesn't have the appeal of my real socks :brows: Possibly it was a mistake to wash the socks first :innocent:

1) Invest in my cold weather wardrobe for a change
2) More Lanvin
3) Something Alaia
4) Must replace black oxford flats

This year, I want to consume far less fashion media ... particularly blogs, tumblrs, street style pictures, that sort of thing. It sounds weird, but I found I suffered a bit of inspiration overload last year, and I ended up for some reason not being able to distinguish between the things I admire and the things that are truly my style. In addition, seeing items again and again made me covet things that I didn't truly need. I recently spent a few months mostly "offline", and I found I naturally gravitated back to a style that I had several years ago. I'm hoping to keep that up this year.

My goal is to buy a few really nice pieces, and not spend the money on many cheap iterations of the same clothing. We'll see what kind of success 2012 brings in this respect!

Invest in quality pieces even if i come a across a supercool high street item. Damn you h&m...

~ Get more and interesting pieces for winter. I have plenty of things for warm weather but during winter I seem to be stuck with a few cardigans and a couple of coats.

~ Wear heels more. I love buying them but I'm quite lazy when it comes to wearing them. That said, I should buy more 3 and not 4 inch heels, they're just so much more manageable.

~ Have more fun with clothes. In the last couple of years my style got a bit boring and plain, I need to fix that.

~ Pay attention to cleaning instructions of a garment when shopping. I bought a few things that were dry clean only when I really shouldn't have.

~ Get more good quality underwear.

This year, I want to consume far less fashion media ... particularly blogs, tumblrs, street style pictures, that sort of thing. It sounds weird, but I found I suffered a bit of inspiration overload last year, and I ended up for some reason not being able to distinguish between the things I admire and the things that are truly my style. In addition, seeing items again and again made me covet things that I didn't truly need. I recently spent a few months mostly "offline", and I found I naturally gravitated back to a style that I had several years ago. I'm hoping to keep that up this year.

this is actually really good advice, i should try this too! :smile:

Brilliant thread..:heart:

At the moment, my biggest style resolution is to really be careful with what I purchase and to make sure it's not going to sit in my closet for years on end. I have an awful awful habit of purchasing something I think I like and then doubting myself and not returning it, but never wearing it. An endless cycle that must stop!

Also I would like to try and experiment with some colour. Spring is approaching and I guess it's time to let go of the black a little... :P

and I agree completely with what newprincesita said about keeping a minimal wardrobe.

*Be braver. If I want to wear it,I'm going to,no matter what people might think. I've put this into practice so far this year by clashing prints. Wearing them loud and proud! I think this is my only style resolution for 2012,just to have more confidence to wear what I want.

1. learn how to properly accessorize
2. get rid of a lot of my wardrobe that's weighing me down
3. invest. period. (you know, buy what i really really like... don't buy something that's "ok" or ONLY "a great bargain)
4. buy more quality casual items. items that i can walk to the grocery store in but still feel good about.
5. nicer underwear.
6. invest in better hair & makeup product.

but mostly just carefully curate my wardrobe.

:wink:

I guess mine should be work on getting more spring/summer clothes I would really like to wear. I feel like those seasons need more work than Fall/winter.

as the year comes to a close...
i wonder how everyone fared this year with their resolutions...

how'd you all do?
:P

:lol:

Gothninjameriskater is still a work in progress! :D

I did buy some new clothes, but was able to keep spending down better than in recent years.

tangerine, isnt vision street wear supposed to be making some sort of hipster come back? i used to think the line was cheesy faux skater back in the day - but who knows the brand could ressurect itself in a cool way. so could some other cool skater brands.

here are my style resolutions:

1, like mulletpproof, i need to wear more jewelry. i got my ears pierced for the first time at 24. (i'm a late bloomer, LOL) since then i only wear earrings occasionally. sometimes i dont have time to put them on in the morning before work. i need to make time. this is an easy way to complete my look and look more polished.

2. stop clinging to the same items again and again. too often in the summer time i resort to a "screw it-its too damn hot out-i'm going to wear cutoffs and tanks" sensibility (then again i dont have AC in my hot-as-hell house:blush:)

3. wear the designer runway stuff i actually have. otherwise its a terrible waste.

4. this is silly, but i'd like to go vegas or texas and find some sort of western outfit. B)

here's how i did:

1. yes i bought a lot more jewelry! mostly sterling silver, bronze and one gold plated piece. i also bought a big jewelry box from the container store to house it.

2. i failed miserably on this point. i rewore a lot of my items continuously due to heat/cold extremes. the good news about this is that i am so sick of some of these items that i am ready to donate them.

3. failed on this as well. in fact i bought more runway/designer items. so the ratio to worn vs unworn items has increased.

4. i didnt get a western outfit. :doh: and when i did go out west in 2012 i didnt wear anything remotely western. i did buy some feather jewelry with medicine wheels on them however.

and on aside, i was right about vision streetwear making a comeback. opening ceremony carries a logo'ed t shirt with VSW on it. :lol:

This year I have bought relatively few clothes and especially shoes.
In the past years I learned that cheap clothes usually don't deliver decent quality so I stopped shopping at H&M and Zara, because their quality got
worse and the prices increased. Because of my relatively small budget I still shop for the highstreet and not designer things, but I can evaluate what is worth buying and what is not.

I bought quite a lot casual and sports clothing because of my current livestyle, and from the more formal clothes I selected the things that I wore
and will be wearing for a longer period, that means I didn't go for trendy but
rather classic pieces in more minimalistic style that I am more and more fond of.

This year I also limited shopping of lingerie, which I have bought too much a year before. :blush:

And I am running a list of clothing I buy per season, just that I have an
overview. And I really consider a lot, before I buy/order anything, so all the pieces are worn a lot.

Sock bankruptcy :rofl: I've started making a toy for my dog out of my worn-out and castoff socks ... just tying them together with ribbon. But somehow I gather it doesn't have the appeal of my real socks :brows: Possibly it was a mistake to wash the socks first :innocent:

1) Invest in my cold weather wardrobe for a change
2) More Lanvin
3) Something Alaia
4) Must replace black oxford flats

1, 2, and 4 accomplished. Didn't find anything Alaia to buy this year.

Well, I've already dumped %80 of my wardrobe to Goodwill so it's time for an overhaul.

-More crop tops
-more boots, maybe even heeled ones. I need to be more ladylike and grown-up
-no more printed tees
-a better winter wardrobe, lots layering pieces
-only buy what I love

My resolutions:

• Wearing my dry denim jeans until they are faded to make a personal worn pair of jeans.
  • Wear more bracelets, since I got my new watch I stopped wearing those. I need to get some new ones because the ones I have are mostly cheap crap.
  • Grow my hair.
  • Get a suit.
  • Buy more socks, because I've got way to many singles.. :innocent:

I got three out of five. I got sick of my in between-cut somewhere around june so I went shorter again. And I decided that just a watch is enough, I like the simplicity.

My jeans turned out ok, hope my next pair will have more contrast. I bought a suit in a great deepblue shade for my graduation. And well, turns out the single-sock-issue isn't solved by buying more socks.. :innocent:

... I'll just continue adding nice quality pieces to my wardrobe that I get a lot of wear out of and make me feel good and I will try not to follow trends or be held back by what other might think about my outfit and look ^_^

✔ added a few nice quality pieces to my wardrobe and even wore some of them :lol:
✔ definitely didn't follow any trends!
✔ didn't worry about what others think; my style has been way too neutral to provoke any weird reactions anyway

- Find "my" tailor
- Stop shopping so much. I've been reading the 4-5 piece/season thread and it's making me want to throw out most of my clothes and not buy more!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adspttsa
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->