82nd Academy Awards

She wore a Yves Saint Laurent Edition Soir gown by Stefano Pilati.[/quote]
Thanks

I like Hilary Swank but wtf is she wearing?!?! you've got to have that body to put on a dress like that but it just doesn't goes with her personality

It is all about the image. "Who are you wearing", "shoes by .....", I think that she may be taking advantage of the world's press to do a little image promoting. She is not usually looked upon as a sex-pot actress. She is known for being a very good, talented and serious actress. Maybe she just wanted potential producers to consider her image in a different way.

Opinion:

One complaint the "fashion police" frequently had was about height. They said that Amanda Seyfried, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Diane Kruger were all poorly dressed because they thought they could wear directly off the runway dresses when they just don't have the height for it. Do you agree?

I thought all three looked great; the only times I've ever felt like height was a real issue were the times Eva Longoria Parker chose Atelier Versace dresses- but she's 5' at most, and Atelier Versace is usually a whole lotta dress. And honestly, if Sigorney Weaver, Gena Davis, and Nicole Kidman wore those three dresses, they'd still catch flack; Jennifer Lopez isn't the tallest and the mainstream critics loved her look.

Thoughts?

^well, they do have a point, because all these girls were wearing sample couture dresses. The point of wearing couture is to have things made to measure but since they're not real clients they can't have the dresses altered, which indeed kind of throw the proportions off.

However, I think they did pull off their dresses, especially Diana, who used to be a model anyway.

Opinion:

One complaint the "fashion police" frequently had was about height. They said that Amanda Seyfried, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Diane Kruger were all poorly dressed because they thought they could wear directly off the runway dresses when they just don't have the height for it. Do you agree?

I thought all three looked great; the only times I've ever felt like height was a real issue were the times Eva Longoria Parker chose Atelier Versace dresses- but she's 5' at most, and Atelier Versace is usually a whole lotta dress. And honestly, if Sigorney Weaver, Gena Davis, and Nicole Kidman wore those three dresses, they'd still catch flack; Jennifer Lopez isn't the tallest and the mainstream critics loved her look.

Thoughts?
Diane Kruger isn't short by any means. She's around 5'7" if I'm not mistaken. Isn't that the same height as Sasha P (who happened to be the model who wore that dress on the runway)?
If anybody was wearing a height-inappropriate dress, I'd say it was Carey Mulligan(sp?). The length of the dress looked weird on her.
SJP's gown wasn't height-inappropriate. Its shape was the problem -- it made her look pregnant.
And Jennifer Lopez chose the wrong Armani gown. The color went well with her complexion, but her body looked weird stuffed into that gown. Any one of these gowns would have been better choices for her:

catwalking.com

^ I thought so, too. The shortest I've seen Diane listed is 5'5, which is still taller than J. Lo, who they lauded. Honestly, they just had a problem with the gowns- Diane's Chanel was just too high fashion. And yeah, plenty of top catwalkers- Sasha, Hannah Holman, and Marina Perez to name a few- are around that 5'7 area. Height was NOT Diane's problem.

I agree about Jennifer. Her body is banging, that dress is gorgeous, but the combo was unsuccessful for me.

Carey's length was just... awkward. I still thought she looked good though.

I think Jen's dress looked different depending on the angle of the shot, but overall was beautiful on her. I notice most people didn't like it after seeing the pic where she's standing with her hip stuck out.

I thought Lopez's dress looked really good on TV, but there seem to be only unflattering pictures of her from what I've seen. She and Amanda wore similar dresses from the same collection. It kind of reminds me of SJP and Marion Cotillard in Dior HC last year. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
When I saw this pic, I liked it. Apparently Jen is 5'6.

getty

Attachments

• 97535407.jpg
    97535407.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 9
See that picture is a really flattering shot of her outfit. I usually hate her outfits, but she always seems to raise her game at the Oscars.

^ I thought so, too. The shortest I've seen Diane listed is 5'5, which is still taller than J. Lo, who they lauded. Honestly, they just had a problem with the gowns- Diane's Chanel was just too high fashion. And yeah, plenty of top catwalkers- Sasha, Hannah Holman, and Marina Perez to name a few- are around that 5'7 area. Height was NOT Diane's problem.

I agree about Jennifer. Her body is banging, that dress is gorgeous, but the combo was unsuccessful for me.

Carey's length was just... awkward. I still thought she looked good though.
I thought Diane's dress was the fashion-height of the evening. I know the average TFS'er knows a lot more about fashion (or atleast what's going round) than other people do, so a pretty dress equals couture to them. :ninja: Which is not necessarily a bad thing. It is when it's Marchesa though.

One complaint the "fashion police" frequently had was about height. They said that Amanda Seyfried, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Diane Kruger were all poorly dressed because they thought they could wear directly off the runway dresses when they just don't have the height for it.

I think Diane pulled it off perfectly, better than the model. And I think the measurements suited her perfectly as well. If she didn't pull it off, I don't know who can.:rolleyes:

I thought Lopez's dress looked really good on TV, but there seem to be only unflattering pictures of her from what I've seen. She and Amanda wore similar dresses from the same collection. It kind of reminds me of SJP and Marion Cotillard in Dior HC last year. :lol:

You're right, I loved her dress on TV but on some of the pics definitely not. It depends on the angle but overall I thought she looked amazing.

And Christopher from Fashionism had the most stupid list ever. (IMO)
Worst Dressed included Diane Kruger, Zoe Saldana, and Kathryn Bigelow.
It's almost excusable that he wouldn't understand the means of couture...but Kathryn's dress was pretty damn gorgeous.

What the bloody hell is Peaches Geldof doing at the Vanity Fair party with Eli Roth?

apparantly they were kissing in his car after the party..

she's 20 and he's 37! I was looking around online for pictures of him because I think he's darn cute but this maybe puts me off him a bit!

Best dressed
Susan Levine
Zoe Kravitz
Maggie Gyllenhaal
Amanda Seyfried
Katy Perry

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derpies