A Lasting Impression : The Influence of Classic Icons

^ That's wonderful! I feel kind of useless in the thread but I just have to say thank you! :heart:

I simply cannot get over how beautiful this thread is. Right click + save has never been used this much. ^_^:blush::heart:

Dance Marathon
The Inspiration:
They Shoot Horses Don't They? The 1969 film starring Jane Fonda.
Gloria (Jane Fonda) is a young woman of the Depression. She has aged beyond her years and feels her life is hopeless, having been cheated and betrayed many times in her past. Fantasizing about movies, she sees herself as an actress and decides to head for Hollywood, having got the idea from a movie magazine while recuperating in the hospital from a suicide attempt which resulted from another unhappy love affair. Robert (Michael Sarrazin), a desperate Hollywood citizen unsuccessfully trying to become a director, never doubting that he'll eventually make it. Robert and Gloria meet and decide to enter a dance marathon, one of the crazies of the thirties. The grueling dancing takes its toll on Gloria's already weakened spirit, and she tells Robert that she'd be better off dead, that her life is hopeless - all the while acting cruel and bitter, alienating those around her, trying to convince him to shoot her and put her out of her misery. After all, they shoot horses, don't they?

The Inspiration...

943917453_177790500e.jpg

image sources | ebay amazon tvguide & barewalls

The Inspired...

Vogue Italia March 1997
Models: Karen Elson, Amber Valletta, Naomi Campbell, Kristen McMenamy, Michelle Hicks, and Carolyn Murphy
Photographed by: Steven Meisel

image source | foto_decadent

Hollywood & Vine
The Inspiration: Jodi Foster as Iris in the 1976 film Taxi Driver
Set in early post-Vietnam Era New York City, the film stars Robert De Niro as Travis Bickle, a lonely, isolated taxi driver and Jodi Foster as the teenage prostitute he attempts to save.

The Inspiration...

image source | amazon & imdb

The Inspired...

W Magazine December 2004
Model:
Natalia Vodianova
Photographed by: Glen Luchford

image source | hfgl

Last edited by a moderator:
MMA you are on an absolute roll!! :clap: All of these are absolutely incredible! Thank you so much for sharing them with us all!!!

^Thank You Luxx & everyone else who commented & gave me karma
flowers.gif
heart.gif

I had fun doing it
happy.gif

Luxx
heart.gif
is always my inspiration with her fabulous threads & I even remember that today is Sunday Luxx so I don't lose a day like last time you did this to me
whistling.gif
rofl.gif
lol.gif
wink.gif

Una Storia Rock
Inspiration: Debbie Harry
Bio: Deborah Ann Harry (born July 1, 1945, in Miami, Florida) is a Grammy-winning and Golden Globe-nominated musician most famous for being the lead singer for the punk rock/new wave band Blondie.
Photographer: Patric Shaw
Fashion Editor: Laura Ferrara
Models: Fanni Bostrom, Harry Kinkade, et. al

The Original:

The Inspired

Image Credit | Corbis & KoModa

Continued:

I think this edit just completely gets Debbie Harry down to a tee. Fanni is the right model, Harry makes a great Chris Stein and the clothes, the settings the overall mood just scream Debbie. Its all very laid back almost punk glam - total only girl in a group of boys. Plus I think it stands well on its own - even if you didn't know who Debbie Harry was you'd still be able to tell this was about a 70s rock chick ^_^

Image Credit | Corbis & KoModa

Love love love the sets of Debbie Harry and They Shoot Horses, Don't They? (and this thread entirely pretty much), such a brilliant thread :heart:

Diva
Inspiration: Maria Callas
Bio: Maria Callas (December 2, 1923 – September 16, 1977) was an American born, Greek dramatic coloratura soprano and perhaps the best-known opera singer of the post-World War II period. She combined an impressive bel canto technique with great dramatic gifts. An extremely versatile singer, her repertoire ranged from classical opera seria to the bel canto operas of Donizetti, Bellini, and Rossini, and further, to the works of Verdi and Puccini, and in her early career, the music dramas of Wagner. Her remarkable musical and dramatic talents led to her being hailed La Divina.
Photographer: Miles Aldridge
Model: Sasha Pivovarova

The Original:

The Inspired

I think this edit is really just a testament to what a great model Sasha is. In real life she looks nothing like Callas but in this editorial she's amazing. Take a look at her screaming portrait and the picture of Callas shouting down federal agents. The resemblance is uncanny. I love the styling on this shoot as well - they've gotten it all down; the red lips, the drawn brows, the very dramatic sensuality - that whole over the top decadent glamour that only a true diva can produce. I also think the colors of this shoot really help heighten that drama.

I don't think this post would be complete without some of Callas' music - such a beautiful voice. :blush:

Image Credit | Corbis.com, Maria Callas Fanclub, Foto_Decadent

^Luxx:heart: Thank You for both of those! I'd never seen that Debby Harry inspired edit & I think it's spot on. I remember I used to sing Heart of Glass with my hair brush as a microphone:rofl:And the Callas:heart: inspired is amazing too...that's always been a fave of mine...it was on my list to post but I decided to get some sleep:lol:^_^

Jeune Fille
Inspiration: Sue Lyon in the 1962 film Lolita
Sue Lyon was fourteen years old when she filmed to the role of Dolores Haze, the sexually charged adolescent and the object of an older man's obsessions in Stanley Kubrick's 1962 film, Lolita. She was chosen for the role partly because her curvy figure suggested an appearance of an adult. Based on the Vladimir Nabokov novel of the same name, Kubrick's Lolita, although a toned-down version of the story, was nonetheless one of the most talked about films of its day. Only fifteen when the film premiered, Sue Lyon became an instant celebrity and won a Golden Globe Award for most promising newcomer - female. When Lolita was released in 1962, Sue Lyon went to a movie house to see her own picture, but she was not permitted to enter the theater because she was a minor.

The Original...

953202354_d8bfa3a281_o.jpg

image source | amazon kubrickfilms & artnet

The Inspired...

Flair November 2005
Model: Vlada Roslyakova
Photographed by: Alexi Hay

image source | livejournal.modelcouture

Nero
The Inspiration: Madonna
Madonna Louise Ciccone Ritchie (born August 16, 1958), better known as Madonna, is an American singer, dancer, songwriter, record and film producter, actress, author, and fashion icon. She is noted for her ambitious music videos and stage performances as well as using political, sexual, and religious themes in her work.

The Original...

953867346_dcc9342207_m.jpg
953012675_256ffef943_m.jpg

It should be noted that Madonna's corset shot (right) in her Vogue video was a
homage to the photograph Mainbocher-Corset (left), by Horst P. Horst 1939.

image source | madonnalicious & wwwcs.unipaderbom.de

The Inspired...

Italian Flair February 2007
Model: Cameron Russell
Styled by: Gavin
Photographed by: Alexi Hay

image source | bwgreyscale

'80
The Inspiration: Grace Jones
"I'm not perfect, but I'm perfect for you," she sang—and there was no denying Grace Jones (real last name: Mendoza). Her forceful presence and intimidating, angular beauty (you could lacerate yourself on those cheekbones) propelled her out of Jamaica and into the New York underground at breakneck speed. She performed at Studio 54 and became known as Queen of the Gay Discos, and not just because of catchy and surprisingly durable hits like "I Need a Man." Her unique persona—overtly sexual yet deliberately androgynous—inspired both Andy Warhol, who painted her portrait, and Keith Haring, who painted her body for a 1985 performance at Paradise Garage. But it was her collaboration with Jean Paul Goude, which is chronicled in the artist-photographer's new book, So Far, So Goude, out this month from Assouline, that made her a legend.

The Original...

"I wasn't born this way," Jones once said. "One creates oneself." And how.

954467274_574ea1f5ae.jpg
953613479_0a8f024ad2.jpg

image source | celebritywonder & style

The Inspired...

Italian Flair March 2007
Model: Kinee Diouf
Photographed by: Polo Cometti

image source | KoModa

Christian Dior Resort 2008
The Inspiration: Doris Duke in the 60's at her Hawaiian Estate ~ Shangri La
America's original "million-dollar baby" was born in New York City in 1912. Doris Duke won her nickname as the only daughter of the tobacco and energy magnate, James Buchanan Duke; when he died before her 13th birthday, she became one of the richest—and most independent—young women in the world. She was married twice, to James Cromwell and the Dominican playboy Porfirio Rubirosa, and her company was sought by the likes of Errol Flynn, Truman Capote, Elvis Presley, and Jackie O. Although she eventually donated upwards of $400 million to charities, one of the best-loved stories about this avid traveler and collector of Islamic art involves a Middle Eastern businessman and a jet plane. (She wouldn't agree to his price until he sweetened the deal with two camels; Duke named them Princess and Baby and ordered custom-made trailers for their transport.) She was just as lavish when it came to couture: Cristobal Balenciaga, Christian Dior, and Madame Grès were among her favorites. At six feet tall, with wavy blond hair, a pronounced jaw, and piercing blue eyes, she was a designer's dream.

The Original:

Shangri La is the name of the Islamic-style mansion built by Duke near Diamond Head just outside of Honolulu. Construction of Shangri La began in 1937, after Duke's 1935 honeymoon which took her through the Islamic world. For nearly 60 years afterwards, Miss Duke commissioned and collected artifacts for the house, forming a collection of about 3,500 objects. The mansion is now owned by The Doris Duke Foundation and is open to the public for tours.

image source | nysocialdiary peakofchic & style.com

The Inspired...

image source | style

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->