Academy Of Art University, San Francisco

they overprice their dorms. you'd be better off finding your own studio/apt., you'll just have to take the time to do it.
the school is all over the city but i think the best place to find an apt., that is still close and walking distance to the main campus (which i think has the fashion classes) is in nob hill area or even in the financial district if you wanna be really close by.
i know people in nob hill and its a really nice residential area that's only a few blocks from downtown/union square. good luck!

Thanks for the Nob Hill suggestion! I see apartments listed in that area all the time on craigslist, so it's nice to know that that area is relatively close to where the fashion classes are.

There's so many different districts within San Francisco that I wasn't quite sure where to focus in on. The only place I heard to avoid was the Tenderloin. Is it really that bad? The apartments are so much cheaper (obviously since it's prob not the best area), but how bad is it? I am a female and will be living on my own so I probably shouldn't take any chances....but any insight on it would be great.

^ Yeah, dorms can be awfully dangerous too. You never know who you're getting involved with and their background and what not...
Dorms aren't my thing either... I heard the Academy provides apartments where you can live independently without dorm-mates, am I mistaken?
They don't provide much information on it (at least in their huge catalog you can request to be sent to you)... I'm going to check on their website right now and see.

I talked to my counsler guy about that and he said they do offer single type apartments/dorms/whatever, but you aren't guaranteed to get one. Then when I was looking at the prices, they were a lot more expensive than just getting your own studio in the city. Seems worth it just to do your own thing.

Do not live in the dorms if you can avoid it! The food is icky (which wouldn't be an issue, but most dorm agreements come with a meal plan) and last semester my friend got shuffled out of her room because the building had bed bugs. So uh...yeah. If you can find your own room or studio, do it.

Does anyone know if it's safe riding a Vespa or any other form of electric bike over in San Francisco? :ninja:

Does anyone know if it's safe riding a Vespa or any other form of electric bike over in San Francisco? :ninja:

As long as you keep you eyes open :P It's just like riding a bike in any city...lots of dumbasses to watch out for. There's a lot of bike parking though. Makes me wish I rode one 'cause then I might actually be able to find a parking spot!

Aau Mfa Fashion Merchandising

I am just finishing my 1st semester at AAU online for my graduate degree in fashion merchandising and have absolutely no complaints:woot:. I got my undergrad from AIU and felt well prepared. I can say that the online program is organized well and very intense. I have a great connection with instructors and I am excited to start the fall semester.
I'm skipping the high stress:blink:7-week summer program to catch my breathe, but will return in fall ready to go. Anyone else attending fall 09? online?

Does anybody know which neighborhood of San Francisco the AAU fashion classes are in? It appears the University is spread out all over the city, but I'm trying to narrow it down to just where most of the fashion classes are held. I'm enrolled for summer and it appears that most of my classes are on Montgomery St. 180 New Montgomery, and 79 New Montgomery. Which neighborhood would this be considered?

that area is south of market, soma, by the financial district and embarcadero.

there are buses the schools uses to take students from class to class.
oh, and your classes are like a 5 min walk from each other, it's literally across the street from each other.

So what "neighborhood" would that be? Civic center? Financial district? I'm trying to find the best spot to look for an apartment in. I've been told a lot of students live in Lower Nob Hill. My advisor also told me to check out Richmond. He said it's a little further away but is a nice area and has lower rents. Do you have any suggestions?

So what "neighborhood" would that be? Civic center? Financial district? I'm trying to find the best spot to look for an apartment in. I've been told a lot of students live in Lower Nob Hill. My advisor also told me to check out Richmond. He said it's a little further away but is a nice area and has lower rents. Do you have any suggestions?

The neighborhood is called SOMA. Look for something there, or around Union Square/Embarcadero if you want to be really close to the classes. However, San Francisco has very good public transportation so even if you get an apartment in Richmond or the Mission or something, you're not going to have a problem getting to classes. The Mission is another good spot...it's not the best area, but it's right on the BART line which will take you directly to the main school buildings.

i like lower nob hill. its walking distance to new montgomery.. maybe 15-20 min walk which isn't bad.

I am just finishing my 1st semester at AAU online for my graduate degree in fashion merchandising and have absolutely no complaints:woot:. I got my undergrad from AIU and felt well prepared. I can say that the online program is organized well and very intense. I have a great connection with instructors and I am excited to start the fall semester.
I'm skipping the high stress:blink:7-week summer program to catch my breathe, but will return in fall ready to go. Anyone else attending fall 09? online?

Hey Jade,
It's Jai from your marketing class. I am doing the summer program. I am a little nervous but whatever. I am also doing the Fall 09 program as well.

I'm starting AAU this June (on campus) and recently got an email about the AAU online virtual bookstore. This appears to be the only way to order books...is that true? Is there no actual bookstore anywhere on campus?

If online is the only way to order the books I find that really ridiculous. What if you don't want to order your books until the first day of class to see what the instructors say you really do and don't need...or what if you want to find out if you can use an older edition or something? If you wait until the first day to order online, then you have to wait 7-10 business days for your books to arrive. Well that's already 2 weeks into classes with no books. I also don't like this because there is no way to see the exact book name and edition (by using the ISBN numbers) since the online bookstore doesn't tell you that. That don't even tell you the edition or all of the authors. It's like you're forced to buy their overpriced books, when if you knew the exact book you could order it for a fraction of the price from amazon or somewhere else. The online bookstore gives a picture of the book, but it's so teeny tiny that it's hard to match up when you're trying to browse on amazon...and it also makes it hard because like I said, the "bookstore" doesn't give you the edition or really any other information.

I haven't even started classes yet and I'm already annoyed with this school. Is there really no physical bookstore?

I'm starting AAU this June (on campus) and recently got an email about the AAU online virtual bookstore. This appears to be the only way to order books...is that true? Is there no actual bookstore anywhere on campus?

If online is the only way to order the books I find that really ridiculous. What if you don't want to order your books until the first day of class to see what the instructors say you really do and don't need...or what if you want to find out if you can use an older edition or something? If you wait until the first day to order online, then you have to wait 7-10 business days for your books to arrive. Well that's already 2 weeks into classes with no books. I also don't like this because there is no way to see the exact book name and edition (by using the ISBN numbers) since the online bookstore doesn't tell you that. That don't even tell you the edition or all of the authors. It's like you're forced to buy their overpriced books, when if you knew the exact book you could order it for a fraction of the price from amazon or somewhere else. The online bookstore gives a picture of the book, but it's so teeny tiny that it's hard to match up when you're trying to browse on amazon...and it also makes it hard because like I said, the "bookstore" doesn't give you the edition or really any other information.

I haven't even started classes yet and I'm already annoyed with this school. Is there really no physical bookstore?

There is a bookstore less than a block away from campus that stocks everything. But don't buy books until you actually see your teachers assign reading from them...most of the time you just end up wasting money on books you never use.

Do not live in the dorms if you can avoid it! The food is icky (which wouldn't be an issue, but most dorm agreements come with a meal plan) and last semester my friend got shuffled out of her room because the building had bed bugs. So uh...yeah. If you can find your own room or studio, do it.

I lived in the Clara Stephens building this past Spring, and I just want to mention that the food in that dorm's Café is beyond good. I know in the past, this school has gotten bad rep for poor food and housing. While the housing still sucks complete ***, the Café in 620 Sutter. (Clara Stephens Building) is at least more than tolerable. I, unfortunately, am dorming again - this time, in the 1080 Bush st. apartments in the Fall.

By the way, I'm majoring in Menswear & Applied Textiles.

I spent the summer in the AAU pre-collage program. Truthfully it was one of the best experiences of my life. I made a lot of friends, the classes were amazing(fashion) but very intense, made a lot of really good friends, and I didn't think the dorms were that bad. I had a really nice room in the Howard Brodie building. Second floor. Lots of space. The kitchen was really nice and large, we had to steal silverware from the kitchen though, and go buy bowls and cups from Japan town. The I-house had the better of the foods, although I didn't get to eat there much dew to the fact that I don't eat breakfast and that half of my classes were scheduled so I missed lunch. But that was ok, there were some really good cafe's and restaurants by 180 NM.
My classes were Ineradicable My two favorite were Fashion Design and textile design. My fashion design teacher Johnathan Kyle Farmer was quite an interesting fellow. He did a good job of teaching and has a really interesting(good interesting) style. And he had a very funny bluntness about everything. My Textile Design teacher did a really good job as well. But I really thought the class needed to be longer than 3 hours.

I really Recommend AAU to anyone interested in it. I had friends in a whole bunch of diff. departments in the school and they really loved it as well. Also AAU has amazing exhibitions. Also, It is expensive but bear in mind it is one of the top art schools in the US and it's a Private school.

Random AAU facts- 1: AAU is the biggest land owner in SF. 2: AAU owns two Churches.

Edit: also about the foods, on bush 600 block same there was a reeeeeeealy good and cheap ramen place. and on on the oppisite corner same side of the street is Pirrate(sp?). Their pizza and soup is really yummy. Didn't try anything else. They have free delivery until 10 PM

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gathee123
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->