Academy Of Art University, San Francisco

What's your opinion on AAU? I think I'm gonna apply to this school as for my back-up school but I'm kinda skeptical b/c of the fact that it's open admission. Also, how's their fine arts department? Is it as good as their fashion department?

Can someone please tell me about the MFA program in Fashion Design?

I'm a sophomore studying journalism and art history at UC Irvine at the moment but I have taken classes at AAU and will be going to Parsons for more fashion design this summer. I'm not sure if I want to pursue fashion journalism after graduation or study more design at AAU.

My question is: Are people still accepted to the MFA Design program if they have a BFA from a non-art school, as long as they have a good portfolio?

Can someone please tell me about the MFA program in Fashion Design?

I'm a sophomore studying journalism and art history at UC Irvine at the moment but I have taken classes at AAU and will be going to Parsons for more fashion design this summer. I'm not sure if I want to pursue fashion journalism after graduation or study more design at AAU.

My question is: Are people still accepted to the MFA Design program if they have a BFA from a non-art school, as long as they have a good portfolio?

Oops, I meant BA, not BFA.

yes, they are...
i got a MFA in graphic design, but my BA was in advertising...
after they do a portfolio review, they will assess your skills and see if you need to take any "prep" classes to prepare you for the MFA program...
since i had been working as a designer and had a pretty good portfolio, i went right into taking MFA classes...

What's your opinion on AAU? I think I'm gonna apply to this school as for my back-up school but I'm kinda skeptical b/c of the fact that it's open admission. Also, how's their fine arts department? Is it as good as their fashion department?

I am working on my degree there right now. The great thing about the fashion department are the connections that the administrators have within the industry. The fine arts department is still good education-wise, but the connections aren't there.

I am interested in going to this school in a few years. It's a perfect set-up for me because I already live so close to San Francisco and am familiar with the area. Although I'm a senior in high school, I have no choice to go to a community college first and take transferable classes to save money before I transfer into the Academy.
This thread is incredibly insightful though! I checked out their blog and am truly amazed. Their design department seems pretty strong, but what about marketing and merchandising? Ultimately, that's what I'm considering pursuing in the fashion industry.

So I've been looking through all of the major US art schools recently now that deadlines are approaching, and when I got to AAU, I got very confused.

There's no portfolio requirement? They'll let anyone in? (Which is nice because my fine arts aren't my strength, but doesn't this mean their teaching quality would be lower?)

Apparently the school used to be a lot better than it is now. Reputation's important, especially if I want a good internship or job afterwards.

But I guess if it's easy to get in, I should just go ahead and apply? I definitely need a back-up school. But is this a nice enough place to begin with?

i think it depends on the department you are looking at, ilaughead...
i know the advertising, graphic design, animation, and fashion departments are very strong, and the professors are working professionals in their respective fields...
i suppose the teaching might not be seen as lower quality, because the professors aren't "teachers" per se, but i'd rather be taught by someone who is working right now than someone who worked years ago and isn't familiar with the current landscape...

all of these departments also have strong connections to the industry both locally and abroad, which helps after college when you are job hunting...
they aren't very strict in their acceptance policies, but the classes are tough across the board, and it acts to kind of "weed out" those who aren't up to it...

i will say, if you are looking for a place that has a college feel with a nice campus and all that, this isn't the place...
it is an urban school, and the campus is spread out across the city...
but by the same token, because you're in a city, there are other art schools, lots of museums and things to do as a student and young person...

Thanks for all of the insight, but one more thing, when you say the fashion department is 'very strong', in your opinion, is it anywhere near the category of Parsons, RISD, etc?

Their application procedure is so vague it's making me skeptical. :ninja: I'd really really appreciate it if someone answer me these following questions....
First, when applying for the undergrad program to AAU, has anyone sent a portfolio? It's not required but I'd like to try to skip the foundation course if I choose to attend there. How many & what kind of piece should I send them for fashion? And do you get it back if you choose to not go there?
Second, What is this $500 for "tuition deposit"? If I choose to not go to AAU, can I get it refunded? When would I have to pay this bill? When I'm applying online, or when I get the acceptance letter?
Third, what's their approximate cost per semester? It only says that their current tuition rates are $670 per unit. I know I sound really dumb, but I'm clueless of how to calculate these stuff. I don't even know how many units I'd have to take per semester. :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
^I'm curious about that $500 too. And deadlines, too. I can't find anything on the website, but I'm probably looking in the wrong parts...

i would contact the admissions department about sending a portfolio...
i sent in slides when i applied to the graduate program, but that was a while ago and their policies may have changed...
a portfolio isn't required for undergrad, but if you want to skip some foundation classes, i would send one...

the $500 tuition deposit basically holds your spot and is credited towards your first semester...here's the blurb from the site:

The $500 tuition fee will be credited toward tuition for the first semester and is non-refundable.
since you can't be rejected for admission, they assume if you are applying (as an international student), that you are going to come...
if you have other schools you're applying to that have a traditional admissions policy (where you are accepted or rejected), i would apply to those schools first and see where you stand, then apply to AAU...

ilaughead...AAU accepts applications all year round, which is why you don't see a deadline...
if you apply now, you could start this spring or in the summer or fall...

Thank you, kimair. Just to make sure - I CAN attend AAU for fall 2009 even when I apply there around march or april, yes?

I for one love the fact that they don't have a portfolio requirements because the school beleives that everyone should have an opportunity to become the artist they want to be no matter how advanced or not their abilities are. You truly grow as an artist if you put the time and effort in. I became so confident with my drawing abilitiy after only about a month into the semester ( as far as fashion sketches go, I'm a fashion major btw ) because it's such an incredibly positive and supportive environment. Those who don't try hard enough are weeded out after the first semester in most cases. The only problems I have with the school are the housing department and the fees that always seem to come up. The tuition itself is relatively inexpensive, especially for an art school, but housing is pretty pricy even for San Francisco. Many people commute, and others end up renting apartments in groups so it ends up working out very well. I met a girl there over the summer who attended previously attended Central Saint Martins. She assured me that the fashion department's curriculum was basically exactly the same at the Academy which is great to hear! AAU was recently featured in W magazine in an article that I beleive was called " The best fashion school you've never heard of." I love that the school is still a hidden gem. The alumni list may not be very impressive, but I'm sure that will change very soon.

I applied and got accepted. Will be attending for fall 2009. Anyone else currently or will be attending? :smile:

Their application procedure is so vague it's making me skeptical.
ninja.gif
I'd really really appreciate it if someone answer me these following questions....
First, when applying for the undergrad program to AAU, has anyone sent a portfolio? It's not required but I'd like to try to skip the foundation course if I choose to attend there. How many & what kind of piece should I send them for fashion? And do you get it back if you choose to not go there?
Second, What is this $500 for "tuition deposit"? If I choose to not go to AAU, can I get it refunded? When would I have to pay this bill? When I'm applying online, or when I get the acceptance letter?
Third, what's their approximate cost per semester? It only says that their current tuition rates are $670 per unit. I know I sound really dumb, but I'm clueless of how to calculate these stuff. I don't even know how many units I'd have to take per semester.
unsure.gif

No, you do not need to send a portfolio. I applied for the fashion program and got my acceptance letter a week later. I did not even send in any past transcripts. You just fill out the application online, pay the $100 app fee, and someone contacts you (I got an email) within 48 hours about financial aid. Then, about one week later, I got my acceptance letter and details about how to apply for housing.

I got accepted for summer 09, so I'll be starting then :smile: I'm doing the masters program for fashion merchandising.

I have no idea where to live, though. I'm not going to do student housing because I already went to a "regular" 4 year university and did the whole dorm/roommate thing, so I'm over that lol. I'm going to get my own apartment (studio) but I don't know where to start looking. I'm assuming craigslist will probably be best.

^ Yeah, dorms can be awfully dangerous too. You never know who you're getting involved with and their background and what not...
Dorms aren't my thing either... I heard the Academy provides apartments where you can live independently without dorm-mates, am I mistaken?
They don't provide much information on it (at least in their huge catalog you can request to be sent to you)... I'm going to check on their website right now and see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gathee123
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->