McQueen Comments on Celebrity Designers

stylegurrl

Reaction score
ALEXANDER MCQUEEN was in San Francisco this week to receive an honorary doctorate degree from the Academy of Art University. As well as catching up with his fellow Central Saint Martins grad Simon Ungless, who is the director of graduate fashion at the university, McQueen made it clear that he doesn't approve of the trend of grooming fashion designers out of celebrity. "Something isn't quite right there, because fashion just becomes a commodity," he said. "It doesn't come down to the concept of good design. It comes down to the concept of bad taste and how good looking the designer is. That is a very Americanised ideal."

From Vogue.com

btw, Congrats to Lee on the honorary doctorate :flower:

WHAT THE FVCK. I WAS JUST IN SAN FRANCISCO AT THE ACADEMY OF ART COLLEGE, for my cousins graduation...they gave an honorary doctorate to some random old woman...OMG OMG OMG, I feel ripped off...

Finally, Alexander bears his claws again...

Amen,Lee!! Thank you for saying this :heart:

Congrats to him,indeed :clap:

Last edited by a moderator:
Is McQueen really the enfant terrible....

But he's dead on anyway..... glad SOMEONE pointed out the obvious.....

:clap:^Yes! And it's great that an actual designer is saying this! Take that, Puffy.:boxer:

^I think that's wearing thing,actually. He's alot more grown up now and doesn't use absurd shock tactics anymore.

Thank goodness someone said it. I feel the same way about the music industry. It's like.. once you're famous, you're automatically cut record deals and movies and clothing/perfume lines. It's annoying :(

ultramarine said:
heheheh .. just to remember him as the enfant terrible ...

Im confused....was he as one point in his career referred to that??? Im a fairly young fan of fashion :blush: so im not very well rounded on some "history".

Arturo21 said:
:clap:^Yes! And it's great that an actual designer is saying this! Take that, Puffy.:boxer:
I think puffy has a good line going there. He is being received well from the fashion industry and it looks like he really loves fashion. he takes his time. And I see alot of people wearing his clothes, from the street to his suits, I love puffy:cry:
I think this should be directed to jennifer lopez, jessica simpson, nelly, bow wow............

Last edited by a moderator:
susie_bubble said:
Is McQueen really the enfant terrible....

But he's dead on anyway..... glad SOMEONE pointed out the obvious.....

My thoughts exactly.

I completely agree with him as well. However, the investments these people make into 'their' namesake brand is just a business venture. It is an acquisition that will make consumers buy into the celebrity name and status. It is a good business and marketing tool, however it is not good for fashion.

Ilovelefashion said:
Im confused....was he as one point in his career referred to that??? Im a fairly young fan of fashion :blush: so im not very well rounded on some "history".

Now that I think of it,maybe it was just Gaultier who was explicitly being dubbed as such. McQueen was always "the British bad boy". Still,it's a shame that McQueen has grown up and moved on(still pushing boundries and breaking rules in his aesthetics,of course!)but the rest of the industry and media still refers to him as this. I think McQueen these days is all about mesmerising and sending one on a whirlwind of imagination and fantasy. Before it was really about causing a stir and making blunt statements. He's alot more emotionally derivitive now.

I believe it was Gaultier who was referred to as "enfant terrible" - actually, I'm almost 100% sure...

Anyway, MARRY ME MCQUEEN! I feel so little in this world. I've been screaming that every chance I get! Finally, someone with a voice speaks the truth.

yeah and every body wants a box of chocolates and a long stem rose. i love mcqueen and all but, yeah, the whole concept of celebrity brand extension is nothing new. nothing most celebrities do contributes much to a good end product. fashion is a commodity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amywhiffen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->