Academy Of Art University, San Francisco

I think I'm attending in January. I obtain my Associate's in November. So I'd be moving to San Francisco in December.

I don't recommend Academy of Art. Not trying to steer anybody away from it but their whole goal is just trying to get you in. My sister attended and finally left even before the semester ended. Some people do really well and a lot of people leave. Most of the Academy's money is spent on advertising (if you haven't noticed). The year my sister attended they didn't have enough housing and stuck the students in hotels for the majority of the semester. Her dorm was in the Tenderloin, which is one of SF's worst neighborhoods. The elevators in her dorm were horrible and break down all the time. Their administration is not organized at all and wouldn't withdraw her from any of her classes so she almost got all F's on her report card. My dad finally sent them a nasty letter and message to the president and they finally withdrew her.

And San Fran is NOT a nice city at night (daytime as well). My sister was grabbed by some random guy with a knife in broad daylight, with her friends, outside a major mall. One of her classmates was held at gunpoint for his lunch and another was stabbed 7 times at bus stop. I'm a pretty positive person about society but living in SF is not for the faint of heart.

I know this all sounds a bit depressing but I'm just telling people what I know about the Academy from my sister's and her friends' experiences. If you're a really dedicated art student, willing to live in stressful, city situations, and willing to be a lot of debt, then go ahead. I know some people that have done really well there and go on to do great work. And they have a majority of good teachers.

April 25 fashion show in SF

Are you going to the April 25th show? They are honoring James Galanos and Ralph Rucci with honorary doctorate degrees. Michael Fink from Saks Fifth Avenue and Cameron Silver from Decades in LA are also going to be there. All four are going to speak to the students on a panel discussion.

Attachments

• Ralph Rucci and James Galanos low res.jpg
    Ralph Rucci and James Galanos low res.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Michael Fink, Saks Fifth Avenue.Photo Bob Nittoli.jpg
    Michael Fink, Saks Fifth Avenue.Photo Bob Nittoli.jpg
    433.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Cameron Silver low res.jpg
    Cameron Silver low res.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 0
Fashion internships

I do know that when the fashion department has guests of honor that they choose interns at the end of the fashion show. I know the intern Zac Posen chose last year and she is there now as he hired her fulltime. Another one I know who studied textiles went to Galliano and is now working for Christian Lacroix. Here are some pics from his show of her textile work that made it on the runway. The same with who Alexander McQueen chose.Christine Ligan Galliano 1.jpg

Christine Ligan Galliano 2.jpg

Christine Ligan Galliano 3.jpg

SF Safe city ....

horrible that your sister did not have a good experience in SF aggie but to be fair like any city these things happen whether we try to be safe walking in broad daylight or stumbling home after a night out. the sad thing about SF is the homelessness problem and that is scary. Nothing has happened to me here and I have been splitting my time between SF and NYC for 2 years. I have been scared my some of the more vocal homeless people though.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Yeah, the homelessness is the problem. But like every city you have to use common sense. I've never had a problem in SF but I guess some people are just in the wrong area at the wrong time.

aggie, I'm so sorry to hear about your sister (and her classmates) experiences. I lived in San Francisco for years, and still have many relatives and friends there. I was never a victim of a crime, nor do I know of anyone who was a victim. I remember being harrassed outside The Mint on Market in the late 90s by a drunken homeless man but that was the extent of any type of interaction I ever had with them. I left SF (grudgingly...I loved it!) in 2001 but perhaps it's changed for the worse...?

The homeless were always a problem. A city with decent weather (no excessive heat, rarely gets below freezing) with an overabundance of services is like a magnet for the homeless.

Like Press Pimp mentioned, this could happen in any city. I'm currently in Chicago and I could tell you some stories...!

Incidentally, I also worked for the Academy for a few years, but not in the fashion department. I can say that in regards to advertising, you're exactly right - they most certainly do spend!

^I can't say for sure if it's worse but it seems like shootings and stabbings are on the increase. I love SF too and only recently changed my mind into going to school in LA instead of in SF. I will miss the city though. It has a lot to offer.

press pimp , was the intern at galliano, helping design textiles or create them ?
that's awesome she could work with them
Lacrois for textiles would be a dream !

AAU... thumbs down :/

When I was a kid it was my dream to go here, I would see the signage everywhere and it made me just dream about the place. Once I graduated from highschool I applied to AAU, FIDM, Art Institute.. and well got into each one.. AAU actually even gave me one of the largest grants for their portfolio grants competition. And I was thinking about it, but the school isn't just that great. I've taken their highschool courses (Advertising and Advanced Advertising) But the thing is that its about the same price to study at AAU and to study at CSM as an international student. And also, I just didnt think that AAU was challenging enough, they pretty much accept anyone as long as you got the money . And myself I am looking for a school that has a good alumni/ gets my money's worth/ and is challenging. Unfortunately for AAU, I would rather study in London and be backed by one of the best colleges/alumni in the world and have competition from around the globe.

Are you going to the April 25th show? They are honoring James Galanos and Ralph Rucci with honorary doctorate degrees. Michael Fink from Saks Fifth Avenue and Cameron Silver from Decades in LA are also going to be there. All four are going to speak to the students on a panel discussion.

i went to the fashion show and it was very, very good...
the designers that come out of there are so talented...
my two favorite collections received internships with ralph rucci...

they are the only school to show in the tents during nyfw (parsons, fit, etc. do not), and the placement rate for grads is at or near 100%...

aggie, i have to echo the comments of the other sf residents...
i have also lived here for almost 10 years and never had any incidents...
there are alot of students here that have never been to a large city (for any length of time) and are shocked by the homelessness, etc., but it really could happen in any city...
sf's crime rate is lower than many other metropolitan cities...

i do know that they are growing at a rate that's much faster than what they have the infrastructure for, so they are trying to make sure everyone has housing, resources, etc.
(i got my mfa from aau in graphic design)...

I got a degree in advertising from this school and all in all, I am happy with my education. I also have a degree from a traditional university and as far as starting a job, AAU prepared me for that without question.

There are definitely pluses and minuses to the school but overall, I have been happy. Yes, it is expensive but honestly, what private art school isn't? There are some issues with real estate but I found that didn't effect me all that much and I never lived in the dorms.

If you're serious about this school, I'd post here http://community.livejournal.com/aac where a bunch of the current and former students are members. We can give you more to go on but all in all, I can say the education was pretty solid.

As far as SF as a city, bad things can happen anywhere. Yes, there is a homeless problem but the majority of them are harmless. I have never felt unsafe here in all my years. I am female and I walk alone quite a bit without any incidents. Bad things can happen anywhere so don't let that turn you off. I personally think SF is a great city.

Hey guys , I'm really considering in getting my second degree at AAU in San Fran, any one go there or know some who went there who can tell me how they liked it?

the people?
classes/structure??
education quality???

Hey guys, I'm a senior in high school trying to apply to AAU, but I'm so confused with the whole degree thing... I want to major in fashion design, and attend the school just for 2 years so I can decided whether I'd stay there or not. What should I choose among AA degree, BFA degree, and Second bachelors degree? Also, they asked me if I have a 4-year degree and I don't know what that is. Can someone explain what those are? I'd really appreciate it!

butterfly, if you're a senior in high school, you should either do the 4 year BFA program or the 2 year AA program...
since you haven't attended college before, it would be your first bachelor's degree...
the second bachelor degree program is for someone that graduated college with a degree in something other than design...

I am a little confused regarding portfolio submission for aau-sf.

I want to apply for the MFA - Merchandising. Along with the application, resume, letters of recommendation, etc. it also says you need to submit a portfolio. I am a little confused about this because, 1. I don't have a portfolio, and 2. how are you suppose to have a portfolio for merchandising? A portfolio seems to be geared towards more design type majors.

It also says on the website "if you hold a bachelor's degree (which I do), but do not have a portfolio, we encourage you to apply." Of course they are going to say that, because they probably want you to apply (along with your $100 application fee, lol), but how important/necessary is it to submit a portfolio, especially for something like merchandising? I could possibly see having a portfolio for visual merchandising.....but this isn't visual.

Any insight would be great, thanks.

Academy of Art University in San Francisco

Can anyone please tell me if Academy of Art university in San Francisco is good to go to to study Fashion Merchandise? Or any other comments on this school are always appreciated! :smile:

I am a little confused regarding portfolio submission for aau-sf.

I want to apply for the MFA - Merchandising. Along with the application, resume, letters of recommendation, etc. it also says you need to submit a portfolio. I am a little confused about this because, 1. I don't have a portfolio, and 2. how are you suppose to have a portfolio for merchandising? A portfolio seems to be geared towards more design type majors.

It also says on the website "if you hold a bachelor's degree (which I do), but do not have a portfolio, we encourage you to apply." Of course they are going to say that, because they probably want you to apply (along with your $100 application fee, lol), but how important/necessary is it to submit a portfolio, especially for something like merchandising? I could possibly see having a portfolio for visual merchandising.....but this isn't visual.

Any insight would be great, thanks.

You should call the Master's Admission Department at 415.274.2222. They can answer this question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
christyshaw61
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->