McQ Alexander McQueen for Target

MissMagAddict

Reaction score
Source | WWD | Thursday August 7th

It looks like Alexander McQueen could be the latest designer name — and one of the most prestigious — to link up with Target’s Go International program, which showcases capsule collections by guest designers. According to industry sources, the British designer is in talks to work on a collection for the Minneapolis-based retailer. A spokeswoman for McQueen declined comment Wednesday.

If the designer does ink a deal with Target, he would join an ever-growing lineup of marquee names who have produced collections for the brand, including Luella Bartley, Alice Temperley, Proenza Schouler and Richard Chai. In addition, Anya Hindmarch and Sigerson Morrison both have collections in the pipeline for the retailer.

While McQueen launched a denim-based diffusion line, called McQ Alexander McQueen, in fall 2006, he’s not yet notched up a collaboration with a mass retailer during his career. As well as his ready-to-wear collection, McQueen designs a footwear collection for Puma and a capsule luggage collection for Samsonite’s Black Label.

That would be fantastic for customers....crappy for his prestige.

I know it sounds bad, but I kind of wish he was in talks with H&M instead of Target. I feel like H&M would afford him more liberties with pricing.

perhaps,a PR stunt to coincide with his recent store opening in LA? would really seem like a way of tapping into the american market on a grander scale. often,people know his name but generally many of them can't really distinguish his work.

All of Target's Go International collections have been really underwhelming to me and horrible in quality compared to similar things from H&M and Kohls. If I want cheap, polyester clothing designed in an hour by someone's assistant I'd go to the sale rack at Mandee...

But if he does do a collection it will look cute in the promo pictures and sell out quickly which is I'm sure what they're going for.

That would be fantastic for customers....crappy for his prestige.

I know it sounds bad, but I kind of wish he was in talks with H&M instead of Target. I feel like H&M would afford him more liberties with pricing.

I agree, but I gotta say this would be interesting... perhaps it's just a proposal and he will go with some place like H&M! That would be a dream

Even though its WWD, I just can't believe it.

It's just so out there :o

im all for cheap clothes and i have purchased items from targets go international line but mcqueen just wouldn't be right. i thought they were only working with newish designers for this anyway.

Why does every designer I like have to do this sort of thing! Nothing puts me off like a collaboration!!!

yes! yes! he needs to make me a kama sutra scarf for 20 dollars! i need it! NEED IT!!!!

He should consider H&M instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see this happening...
McQueen's aesthetic is much too complex to be translated
into a $49.99 dress at Target...
It's just nonsensical...
I've only ever liked Target's partnership with Rogan..
It was rly nice for what it was...
& of course the Justin Giunta collab... best yet.. :heart:

i would actually prefer for him to make his own line thats significantly cheaper. it doesn't even have to be a diffusion line. maybe just like a collection. that way he has his own limitations on what he wants to do and whatever. i agree that he just won't translate well for target.

No...not Target. If he's going to do a collaboration with a mass market store...H&M is the only one.

Oh ... McQueen is spot on ... I mean .. I so can see girls wearing a version of the multicolor butterfly-skull cotton tee ....

I know its crappy for him ... but hey ... its good PR

I don't see this happening...
McQueen's aesthetic is much too complex to be translated
into a $49.99 dress at Target...
It's just nonsensical...
I've only ever liked Target's partnership with Rogan..
It was rly nice for what it was...
& of course the Justin Giunta collab... best yet.. :heart:

i dunno....mcqueen does do pretty simplistic things for mcq and i can certainly those particular aesthetics translating into something like target.

btw,don't forget libertine :wink:....they did a fantastic job,imo. it was really appropriate for the kind of work they did.

I'm not sure it would really hurt his prestige too much and where he's trying to go with the brand. He's definitely trying to be known GLOBALLY and expand his brand to be more of a household name.

This could be good for him but I don't want to see skull scarves anymore. lol.

moments like this i wanna shoot myself for not being a girl. grrr!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->