All About Retail: Sales Associates, Management, etc.

I'm wondering if I call in sick, and I need to use the job as a reference, will I be in trouble? I wonder if they can consider me no eligable for rehire if I do that.

Diorling said:
Very hard, it's Barneys, you have to have some serious experience, not even my interviewing skills can break past my inexperience ...

Aw, if you can't do it, I guess I don't have a very good chance then. You worked for Coach for some time, right Diorling? I don't have any retail experience at all :blush:. I'm enthusiastic, though. Does that count for much?

Diorling said:
Hm, I dont know if you should be jumping on the Jimmy Choo bandwagon that quickly. Uhm, Saks, Saks is insanely dignified at all times, you never find a customer falling out of perfect dispositon. I find Saks to be classier, than say, Neimans, which ironically has gotten more common (I sound so bad!), but really, thier whole concept of AmEx making them more exclusive is wrong! It makes people who *want* to be exclusive flock to them...It is the truth! You find Footballer's Wives at Neimans and Senators Wives at Saks...whom would you rather shop with?

Well, I think Neiman's has been that way for awhile ... who but the nouveau riche would ever buy their his & hers gifts, right?

I remember when I first got a Neiman's card some years ago now :ninja: going in there, and just as I was about to ask for something, in strolls a woman in a full-length fur coat with more than full-length red claws, and I still have never seen anything like it ... it seemed like 7 or 8 SAs flocked to her like filings to a magnet. I don't know who she was ... looked like someone's mistress to me, but I'm sure they knew her and her spending habits. I think I left without what I came for that day ...

Velouria said:
I work at Victoria's Secret (also a Limited Brand Company)and my manager searches through my bag with her hands...is she not supposed to do that?

at my store they just look through, but they make you move the stuff around yourself. well, it depends on the manager really, some just look in, others want to know what the entire inside of your purse looks like

on the subject of VS (and limitedbrands), it doesnt have the best discount (20 percent for the first 60 days, then thirty if you are part time and nohting on sales. It also can apply to all limitedbrand stores except for of course Henri Bendel's) but they do give a lot of deals and stuff to the employees. free lipgloss recently, and when they launch a new bra or whatever, you get a great discount.

but its a good job in the sense that, when i applied, i had never had a job before, no experience, and i got hired. and a lot of stores dont do that.

as for high end, my sister makes ridicuolous money working high end boutiques. shes worked at Kitson, Scoop and is now at Theory and she makes massive commission plus being paid like 13 bucks an hour. im so envious, but shes a really really good SA

are there any people on this board that work at high-end luxury stores? or concept stores like opening ceremony or even seven in new york? I'm curious about getting a job there and eventually at a place like maison martin margiela. I posted earlier about cdg, but everyone just keeps talking about discounts :( is there anyone that can help me out?

shoexgal said:
I'm wondering if I call in sick, and I need to use the job as a reference, will I be in trouble? I wonder if they can consider me no eligable for rehire if I do that.
What store is it? Is it a chain or is it a boutique (one of?). In my brief history of retail they never check your references, seriously, noone Ive worked for or applied at has checked my references. I doubt it. If you feel nervous about it, just go

SprialSnowman, when I first started at Coach I was like 'OMG people think very highly of Coach' No, noone thinks highly of Coach, they see it just above Banana and J.Crew but just below Energie and Diesel...In terms of retail training...

^ thanks for the tip. I'm still debating because I have a closing shift *YUCK* 3-9:30 *Shoots herself*

^ Personally I would bite the bullet and do it, unless it's a hostile work environment, in which case I wouldn't go. In that case I would have already said "my resignation is effective immediately" ...

Diorling said:
SprialSnowman, when I first started at Coach I was like 'OMG people think very highly of Coach' No, noone thinks highly of Coach, they see it just above Banana and J.Crew but just below Energie and Diesel...In terms of retail training...

Oy. I've always thought of Coach as fairly high-end as well. :doh: Ok, so I need experience at a high-end shop? But how do you get experience if the high-end shops won't hire you unless you already have experience>... :unsure:

my experience with coach is that if you don't walk in carrying a louis vuitton or coach bag, they have no idea what/who your bag is by. the sales people (at several i've been to throughout the nation, as my mom loves coach) really don't seem to know much about high fashion, because coach isn't.

that said, my mom had a bag for over 10 years, the strap broke and when they sent it off only to find out it couldn't be fixed, they sent her a pretty good sized voucher towards any of their bags. that's service.

I'm a college student in Chicago and am, for the first time since high school, considering working. I have about a year and half's worth of retail experience at a relatively upscale shoe boutique (the rest is restaurants, which I can't imagine looks impressive on a resume). I have a couple of Q's:

What kind of questions do they usually ask in interviews for retail jobs, and what are the most preferred answers?

Any other tips for interviews?

Also, should I be intimidated away from places like Barneys, Saks, Neimans (because of my relative lack in experience)?

Also, can anyone give me advice based on their experience working at the following: Saks, Neimans, Barneys, JCrew, Anthropologie, Nordstrom, La Perla?

And finally, is working at a makeup counter (MAC, Bobbi Brown, etc) completely out of the question for someone who only wants to work part time? I hear they tend to be intense jobs??

Thanks in advance!:heart:

Last edited by a moderator:
thesiren said:
my experience with coach is that if you don't walk in carrying a louis vuitton or coach bag, they have no idea what/who your bag is by. the sales people (at several i've been to throughout the nation, as my mom loves coach) really don't seem to know much about high fashion, because coach isn't.

that said, my mom had a bag for over 10 years, the strap broke and when they sent it off only to find out it couldn't be fixed, they sent her a pretty good sized voucher towards any of their bags. that's service.
Ya, none of my coworkers know a Birkin, Kelly, Spy, Muse, et al. Except for two whom I befriended, Coach isn't at all fashionable, Coach likes to think that they are fashionable...:innocent:Seriously, in thier videos (SA only) they'd talk about how high-fashion one bag is and how it would look so great with the most expensive couture piece or dressed down with jeans...IM SERIOUS...And I think, if I didnt actually know a little bit about fashion, customers would think I was so full of sh!t...

I agree about that. Coach does have that going for them, they give you a credit worth the Full Price of the bag, which is pretty nice, it also keeps a loop of bags going...

Gah, I WANT A JOB AT SAKS NOW

Fabulyss said:
I'm a college student in Chicago and am, for the first time since high school, considering working. I have about a year and half's worth of retail experience at a relatively upscale shoe boutique (the rest is restaurants, which I can't imagine looks impressive on a resume). I have a couple of Q's:

(1) What kind of questions do they usually ask in interviews for retail jobs, and what are the most preferred answers?

(2) Any other tips for interviews?

(3) Also, should I be intimidated away from places like Barneys, Saks, Neimans (because of my relative lack in experience)?

(4) Also, can anyone give me advice based on their experience working at the following: Saks, Neimans, Barneys, JCrew, Anthropologie, Nordstrom, La Perla?

(5) And finally, is working at a makeup counter (MAC, Bobbi Brown, etc) completely out of the question for someone who only wants to work part time? I hear they tend to be intense jobs??

Thanks in advance!:heart:

1 - Very straightforward, why do you want to work here, et al. The higher end the more random and crazy the questions are. Ive heard some nutty questions...

2 - Be yourself, always be confident, these people work in retail, they can smell fear. Eyecontact, seem cheery at all times...GREET EVERYONE (you never know who will be the decision maker)

3 - No, it means you have to interview 10x harder, be totally water-tight. Barney's Co-Op is a good suggestion, you get the Barney's name but not the stodgyness, also it's a great in to getting to Barney's...

4 - Well, my good friend works at Saks and she loves it! She makes 4 digits in her weekly paycheck so she's very happy, works about 30 hours-a-week and very little labor (can you close a sunglass case? Or put on a dustbag?)

5 - I have no idea. I personally shy away from those jobs because I dont believe I have the talent for that job, also I dont *love* makeup and cosmetics enough to try...

You said you were looking for part-time, most highend shops are not interested in giving part-time short-term unless you are so amazing, or you are a previous employee.

I was working at Rampage and this Sales Associate came in and she said she's on her break from Saks.
I say, wow you are lucky!

She says, "hell no. I hate it!" and walks away
Diorling said:
Ya, none of my coworkers know a Birkin, Kelly, Spy, Muse, et al. Except for two whom I befriended, Coach isn't at all fashionable, Coach likes to think that they are fashionable...:innocent:Seriously, in thier videos (SA only) they'd talk about how high-fashion one bag is and how it would look so great with the most expensive couture piece or dressed down with jeans...IM SERIOUS...And I think, if I didnt actually know a little bit about fashion, customers would think I was so full of sh!t...

I agree about that. Coach does have that going for them, they give you a credit worth the Full Price of the bag, which is pretty nice, it also keeps a loop of bags going...

Gah, I WANT A JOB AT SAKS NOW

Seriously...most the SAs at Neimans and Saks are older people with no real fashion knowledge...most people that I encountered are poorly dressed, lack knowledge, old, pushy, ugly, commision hungry, and have poor customer service skills. They just don't fit the image of the store very well...I have seen some SAs at Barneys with great fashion sense but their customer service is nothing to write home about...I work in retail and I know that these people do not have great skills...I have seen much better SAs at cheap stores then luxury boutiques...it seems that the more expensive the merchandise are, the worse the service you get

Well, I agree partly. But occassionally there is a gem, with spectacular taste! One I found is John at Saks in Chevy Chase, omg, he has a J12 and that's all you need to know!!

I've applied for over 60 Marketing jobs in Orlando and have not heard back from one.:cry:

I move next week.:shock:

I've given myself enough time and money to go without working till August. If I don't get a Marketing job by then, it's back to retail for me.

I just can't figure out if I want to go back to doing hair, or skincare/makeup in a department store, or clothes in a department store.

Luckily the Millenia Mall in Orlando has some great choices (I checked last night). Im actually shocked that some of those stores are in Olrando.

Makeup is pretty easy job. It actually gets rather boring. I worked at Chanel (among other companies) and pretty much I would get customers who knew what they wanted already.

I very rarely actually did a makeover.

Maybe you should try MAC? MAC sounds like its funner than other counters, more traffic..

*Groan* I'm going to my last day at Rampage tommorrow. Wish me luck closing!

shoexgal said:
Maybe you should try MAC? MAC sounds like its funner than other counters, more traffic..

*Groan* I'm going to my last day at Rampage tommorrow. Wish me luck closing!

I don't think Im MAC material. Im not a drag queen:lol:

What I mean is............most of the guys I see working at MAC look like ******** or something. Plus their music is always blaring.

I want to go with something a bit more upscale if I wind up going back to retail. I'd love to work for Chanel again. Or Dior, Prada, Nars

Ianastar said:
I've applied for over 60 Marketing jobs in Orlando and have not heard back from one.:cry:

I move next week.:shock:

I've given myself enough time and money to go without working till August. If I don't get a Marketing job by then, it's back to retail for me.

I just can't figure out if I want to go back to doing hair, or skincare/makeup in a department store, or clothes in a department store.

Luckily the Millenia Mall in Orlando has some great choices (I checked last night). Im actually shocked that some of those stores are in Olrando.

Makeup is pretty easy job. It actually gets rather boring. I worked at Chanel (among other companies) and pretty much I would get customers who knew what they wanted already.

I very rarely actually did a makeover.
Iana, so wierd, I was just thinking that too, I have one week left and I dont have a job! I mean, I can survive about 1-2 months jobless in NYC, but I dont want to do the uneccessary. It's getting me nervous...I might have to get a job at like The Gap or something (well, then quit after I get another job). What I really want is a job on commission at Barneys, Saks, Bergdorf, et al. I have a rack of malls to choose from, Short Hill, Garden State Plaza, Manhasset...All of which have uber-expensive high-commission stores...Okay, Ill give myself till next Tuesday then Ill put in more applications at those malls...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cg1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->