All About Retail: Sales Associates, Management, etc.

Diorling said:
Iana, so wierd, I was just thinking that too, I have one week left and I dont have a job! I mean, I can survive about 1-2 months jobless in NYC, but I dont want to do the uneccessary. It's getting me nervous...I might have to get a job at like The Gap or something (well, then quit after I get another job). What I really want is a job on commission at Barneys, Saks, Bergdorf, et al. I have a rack of malls to choose from, Short Hill, Garden State Plaza, Manhasset...All of which have uber-expensive high-commission stores...Okay, Ill give myself till next Tuesday then Ill put in more applications at those malls...

I did a test actually. Because of my experience in hair, skincare and makeup, I can easily find something.

I applied at Bloomingdales and within 8hours was called for an interview. So Im not worried about getting a retail based job.

I just REALLY don't want to.:cry:

But I guess if it's temp...........till I find something else, I can do it. I just HATE giving up my nights and weekends.

I defintely want to go more upscale in the department store/boutique/store/whatever and the line that I work for though. I'm going to at least be choosy about that.

I had a friend who managed the Nars and Prada counters at Neimens at Tyson's Galleria. She started out making over $20 an hour for them. And she told me that some of the women that worked at the cosmetic counters there were making between $60,000 and $90,000 a year. COMMISION???!!!:shock:

I'm planning on applying to a few small boutiques in my city. I have SOME retail experience, and several jobs where customer interaction is obviously key, however, i really want to translate these onto my resume in a way that looks VERY good for retail. Does anyone have an example of their resume for an entry-level position in retail (preferably one that got you the job)?

High-End Retail and Botiques

i worked @ Bloomingdale's from last december to the end of June this year..we got standard 20% off and on certain days 40%. I've applied at D&G and various botiques but never got any responses back. One of my co-workers used to work for Neiman Marcus and said it all comes down to client lists, that is what will get you those jobs...

xDandGx said:
i worked @ Bloomingdale's from last december to the end of June this year..we got standard 20% off and on certain days 40%. I've applied at D&G and various botiques but never got any responses back. One of my co-workers used to work for Neiman Marcus and said it all comes down to client lists, that is what will get you those jobs...

Exactly!! That's why those women make so much in cosmetics. The client lists. They have been there so long that they have worn trenches behind their counters. Build up relationships with the old, retired, plastic-ratti housewives.................and can quarantee a sale.

pinkpalm said:
how strict is polo ralph lauren on hiring?
They consider themselves a boutique, along the lines of Dior, Chanel et al. They're very particular.

I was actually approached by the girl that is in charge of hiring, who stated I had the right look...I found this a little off, but agreed to an interview. i guess what I'm wondering is how to go about acing the interview.

pinkpalm said:
I was actually approached by the girl that is in charge of hiring, who stated I had the right look...I found this a little off, but agreed to an interview. i guess what I'm wondering is how to go about acing the interview.
Oh, so you're already in. She already has a good impression of you then, just show them your customer service skills, they work on commission at Ralph Lauren, they want you to be able to build a client book. Where have you worked previously?

a small boutique that specializes in contemporary lines (trina turk, milly, tibi, 7, R and R; plus luxury accessories. I am just wondering what she'll ask me as I have only interviewed at Neiman's before and I think that was way over my head (the other people interviewing with me were in their 40's, I'm 24). Thanks for all your help!:flower:

pinkpalm said:
a small boutique that specializes in contemporary lines (trina turk, milly, tibi, 7, R and R; plus luxury accessories. I am just wondering what she'll ask me as I have only interviewed at Neiman's before and I think that was way over my head (the other people interviewing with me were in their 40's, I'm 24). Thanks for all your help!:flower:
Oh ok, so you're already in a concentrated high-end enviroment, I think you're fine. Also what they want is style, so you can give your client tips and possibly become thier stylist (big $$) it's just about the next level, selling, styling, relationships...

just finished the interview, went really well, their standard hiring procedure is 2 interviews, whicxh IO schedualed the next for Friday. I was there for about an hour and a half, does anyone know if they actually call the references and or really use the background checks? I mean, its retail...I always thought retail was something pretty much anyone could do, it's not like I've had any arrests or anything to hide. I guess the hiring process is more stringent than I thought...

Also, does anyone know what the average comission rate is for high end retail sales reps? Or even a weekly sales number, like merchandise total?

pinkpalm said:
just finished the interview, went really well, their standard hiring procedure is 2 interviews, whicxh IO schedualed the next for Friday. I was there for about an hour and a half, does anyone know if they actually call the references and or really use the background checks? I mean, its retail...I always thought retail was something pretty much anyone could do, it's not like I've had any arrests or anything to hide. I guess the hiring process is more stringent than I thought...
They never call, THEY NEVER CALL, though background checks, yes. They don't want an axe murderer folding the cashmere.

pinkpalm said:
Also, does anyone know what the average comission rate is for high end retail sales reps? Or even a weekly sales number, like merchandise total?
Ralph Lauren is 10% - 13% comission plus free wardrobe. What do you mean sales numbers? At Coach Id average about 15k a week...

Burberry

Just got a callback from Burberry. Has anyone worked there? I was told they pay a base plus 1-2 percent commission. Doesn't sound like a lot, but their merchandise is pretty $$$. Anyone know if there is good earning potential? Also any specifics on dress code? Thanks.

Marla

MarlaLP said:
Just got a callback from Burberry. Has anyone worked there? I was told they pay a base plus 1-2 percent commission. Doesn't sound like a lot, but their merchandise is pretty $$$. Anyone know if there is good earning potential? Also any specifics on dress code? Thanks.

Marla
That's nothing!! 1 - 2%. Higher end stores like that normally have 7% and up...Unless the hourly rate is really good...Burberry's not that expensive, think of it this way, a 1k bag, you will make...$20 off of? They dont have many thousand dollar bags..wow

Diorling said:
That's nothing!! 1 - 2%. Higher end stores like that normally have 7% and up...Unless the hourly rate is really good...Burberry's not that expensive, think of it this way, a 1k bag, you will make...$20 off of? They dont have many thousand dollar bags..wow

Right, so I'm thinking it must be a pretty good hourly wage. Even at Macy's I generally made 5 percent commission, although that was draw vs commission. I'm supposed to go in on Friday so I'll guess I find out then.

Does anyone know if any high end boutiques hire people on a part time basis? I'd really like to work at a nice store while I'm at school but I can't commit to a full work week. Thanks!

Ianastar said:
Exactly!! That's why those women make so much in cosmetics. The client lists. They have been there so long that they have worn trenches behind their counters. Build up relationships with the old, retired, plastic-ratti housewives.................and can quarantee a sale.

Those ladies really make some of the makeup counters impenetrable for new MAs.

Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with this situation? Their hostility at the thought of new blood scares me away!!

Diorling said:
They never call, THEY NEVER CALL, though background checks, yes. They don't want an axe murderer folding the cashmere.

Ralph Lauren is 10% - 13% comission plus free wardrobe. What do you mean sales numbers? At Coach Id average about 15k a week...

ahhh...thanks! yeah, the interviewer asked me what my weekly average sales number was, so I est. and figured out my weekly averages of what i was ringing up. Hadno idea it was free wardrobe, I just figured it was a discount. I wonder what they will want to cover on the second interview:innocent:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cg1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->