Ann Demeulemeester

Yeah, that is true about Antwerp. I know my Belgian fashion design pretty well, since I've been wearing it for over ten years now. I did see some pieces just walking around but I was just expecting to see more.

It was great seeing all the fashion in the stores though. It's amazing a city that size with such a wide selection of luxury, high-end and avant-garde fashion. I'm really hoping that I'll get to spend a lot more time there in the future.

not so much anymore, with the flux of online stores that carry her line.

from le choc du chic ...

my snaps.
what happend ?

first image = 2nd
2nd image = 3rd
3rd image = 1st
!

sorry.

Attachments

• IMG_3158.JPG
    IMG_3158.JPG
    417.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3159.JPG
    IMG_3159.JPG
    239.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3157.JPG
    IMG_3157.JPG
    346.9 KB · Views: 19
I'm terribly excited to see what she comes up with for SS12. The current season's collection would have to be my favourite right now. I'm a sucker for black, leather and theatre so of course it would be.

^i can't wait for the show either, especially because i think i liked her SS collections more than the FW ones these past years.

2ppa51v.jpg

Ann Demeulemeester’s dreaming of a black Christmas. For the holiday season, the designer created a capsule collection of four black pieces, for men and women, in collaboration with the online retailer TheCorner.com; Ann Demeulemeester (the corner), as the collection is known, will go online on November 22.

To celebrate the capsule collection—which consists of a leather and cotton waistcoat, a cotton cashmere tank top, a pair of pants, and a shopper bag, ranging in price from $430 for the top to $1,290 for the waistcoat—Demeulemeester commissioned artist Erik Madigan Heck, who has worked with Kenzo and Mary Katrantzou, to shoot an 8mm short film in Antwerp featuring the collection. “It’s beautiful how a human being brings a garment to life,” Demeulemeester tells Style.com. “The inexplicable mystery and contrast of a man and a woman and how they intrigue. My aim has always been to incorporate authentic feelings in my work. Erik Madigan Heck’s short movie is a beautiful expression of this.” For his part, Heck described the film earlier this year in conversation with Style.com. “I’m in love with it,” he said at the time. “It’s very blown out, and the models look like angels appearing and disappearing.” The film premieres exclusively below on Style.com.

—Matthew Schneier for style.com

that is beautiful and utterly romantic. kind of has a bronte sisters feel about it and the 8mm style compliments the whole narrative exquisitely.

Lovely, thank you for sharing.

I just took a look at the collection and only wish I could have the pleasure of owning it.

thanks HeatherAnne!...:heart:

amazing film---
i love the adrogyny theme...and the way it's filmed...
i think i would like it even without the narration...

i thought some of the locations could have been better, though some were amazing...
*like the wall they run by and the giant willow tree...
unfortunately, the subtitles are a bit difficult to read, so it's hard to look at the pictures at the same time...
they are both so involved that one really finds it difficult to absorb everything all at once...
and then there is the complicated music, as well...

don't get me wrong, i think it's very good...
it's just a little complicated...
:P

Last edited by a moderator:
ANN DEMEULEMEESTER - MONOGRAPH

"This book tells the whole story of my work in pictures and is dedicated to all of the people who have believed in me and helped me to bring my work into the world and to all of the women and men who have added their personalities to my clothes to make them complete"
- Ann Demeulemeester

14th October 2014 was a significant date for the combination of fashion and literature, as it witnessed the release of the Ann Demeulemeester monograph published by Rizzoli. The closing chapter on a gripping "novel" of a career.
The book is a first and highly personal perspective into the work and processes of Ann Demeulemeester, one of the most influential and inspiring fashion designers of our generation. With her husband Patrick Robyn responsible for most of the early photography and the assistance of her son Victor for the design and layout of the book, it became a much loved family affair. The cloth-bound book in black features a matching cloth-bound slipcase and Demeulemeester's signature double black tassels serving as bookmarks.
The only text in the book is a short introduction titled “The Girl of Flanders” by the singer Patti Smith, who has been a close friend of Demeulemeester’s for years. Aside from a few biographical details the introduction paints the perfect picture of Demeulemeester and her exceptional career ending on a befitting note, “The girl of Flanders has walked her own path, in her own black boots.”
Graduating from Antwerp’s Royal Academy of Fine Arts in 1981, Ann Demeulemeester (and her contemporaries in the Antwerp Six) transformed the global fashion scene with an aggressive restatement of traditional fashion design and a polemical approach to luxury trends.
Influenced by punk, she founded her label in 1985 and imbues her designs with a strong narrative and rebellious spirit. For Demeulemeester, fashion is a form of communication. Her complex language of contrasts covers a whole gamut of emotions. The tension is highly poetic, and her clothes reveal many layers of soul. Known for her elegant tailoring and dark yet glamorous aesthetic, she created a serene and darkly romantic world with an intriguing mix of edgy rebellion and sophistication.
This book is a true tribute to Demeulemeester’s historical career, with over 1,000 images there is a treasure trove of early photography, virtually impossible to come by in the pre-Internet era, approximating some of the mystery and detailing associated with her brand.

About the Author
Ann Demeulemeester was born in Waregem, Belgium, in 1959 and graduated from the Royal Academy of Fine Arts in Antwerp. She and her husband Patrick Robyn established her label in 1985.

Pub Date: October 14, 2014Format: HardcoverCategory: Design - FashionPublisher: RizzoliTrim Size: 6-1/4 x 9-1/4US Price: $100.00ISBN: 978-0-8478-4350-3
theunconventional.co.uk

Ann Demeulemeester's Heavy Career in a Heavy New Book
by Eugene Rabkin

A long-awaited and very weighty monograph on Ann Demeulemeester (Rizzoli, $100) is being released in November. When we met in Antwerp in April, the influential Belgian designer had just sent off the final draft to the publisher, and she spoke of it as if it were the perfect closure to her body of work in fashion, an exclamation point on the last sentence of her career, a tome in itself.

The cloth-bound book is, obviously, black and comes in a matching slipcase, with Demeulemeester’s signature two thin and long black tassels serving as ribbon markers. Her husband, Patrick Robyn, is responsible for much of the early photography, while her son, Victor, helped her design and compile the volume. It’s not a regular, large-format coffee table affair, but its thickness is a physical reminder of how rich Demeulemeester’s career in fashion has been. As a matter of fact, if not for the thin paper stock, the 2000-page tome might prove unwieldy.

The only text in the book is an introduction by Patti Smith, who has been a close friend of Demeulemeester’s for years. Poetic, as usual, it begins with Demeulemeester discovering Smith’s Horses album. She was passing by a record shop when she was struck by the image of a young Smith in a plain white shirt. Years later, Demeulemeester summoned the courage to send Smith a package with three of her own white shirts. WIth that, their friendship was born.

In a few strokes, Smith's introduction paints the raison d'être of Demeulemeester’s work. It was not a preoccupation with fashion that drew Demeulemeester to it, but a deep-rooted interest in clothing as an expression of character. She ends on a fitting note: “The girl of Flanders has walked her own path, in her own black boots.”

The rest of the book consists of images, over 1000 of them. They occupy the center of each page, surrounded by plenty of white space. The first part is a treasure trove of early photography, virtually impossible to come by in the pre-Internet era. From these you can glean how early some signature elements of Demeulemeester’s aesthetic appeared: the predominantly black and white palette, the use of feathers, Edwardian cuts, and those famous tassels. The influence of menswear, too, becomes apparent, even though Demeulemeester did not present a men’s capsule until 1996.

The images continue on to the runway shows, starting in 1992 in Paris. There are no breaks of any kind to separate one collection from the next (you can refer to the index in the back) — a reminder that Demeulemeester sees her work as one continuous, undivided series of chapters.
hintmag blog

Reviews
“Even if you don’t have many of the designer’s pieces hanging in your closet, you can celebrate her work with a new permanent fixture on you coffee table.” –Fashionista.com

"Though the wave of sadness felt after Ann Demeulemeester's departure from her eponymous label endures, the fashion set should find some consolation come fall. Demeulemeester has announced that she's penned a hardcover tome from Rizzoli....which is due out in October. The book promised to be "the first and highly personal perspective into the work and processes of Ann Demeulemeester," will boast more than one thousand images. Though springs' only just arrived, well be counting down the days until autumn." -Style.com

"Ann Demeulemeester, who dispatched a hand-written letter last November to reveal her exit from fashion, is now working on a book. The hardcover Rizzoli tome, written by the Belgian designer and with an introduction by musician Patti Smith, is due out in mid-October, and billed by the publisher as “the first and highly personal perspective into the work and processes of Ann Demeulemeester, one of the most influential and inspiring fashion designers of our time." -WWD

"The book is already boasting buzz for its features. The project's introduction will reportedly be written by musician Patti Smith, who was a longtime muse and friend of the designer. For $100 price tag, you'll be able to feast your eyes on more than 1,000 photographs from the designer's long and eventful career in fashion." -FashionTimes.com
rizzoliusa.com
(Time for tFS to review books, isn't it ?)

Nice "beau-livre" (coffee-table book) for a XMAS gift ...
:flower:

sorry i posted both texts, but at first i wanted to see what words were being copy/paste from the PR, where, how etc. ... sorry to drag y'all in my stupid thing ...

photos: fallowstore + hintmag blog

Attachments

• e1c36c132320dd7859eae69689792a8f.jpg
    e1c36c132320dd7859eae69689792a8f.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 4
  • tumblr_ndu277z8c11tw4buoo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_ndu277z8c11tw4buoo1_500.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:
and here's a shot from her book signing with patti smith at dover street a couple days....patti also did a special performance with pj harvey :heart: :heart:

Demeulemeester_27ed%20Ann%20PJ%20Harvey%20Patti%20and%20Chris%20Dercon%20copie_1026_770_resize_90.jpg

purple.fr

Has anyone bought the book yet?

I was hoping to find it in store somewhere to flip through it before buying it, but seems like it's 'special order' everywhere. What's the quality like of the photos? Is it all b/w?

same here. i wanted to pre-order, but actually forgot about it. now i see amazon's telling me they're not sure when they're gonna have it in stock. i wish there would be images on the inside somewhere

I just got the book as a surprise present from a special someone :woot::heart:

The format of it is kind of like a bible, small but tons of pages, very thin paper. But it looks beautiful, it's getting a special spot on the shelf above my desk. The introduction by Patti Smith is marvelous, of course :crush: The rest is all pictures, b/w and color. The pictures are pretty small and all the same size as in the above posted preview. The highlight are all the photos of her early work, of course.

Here's a few crappy phone camera snaps:

my photos

I need it! I hope it's not just photos though, does it have a lot of text apart from the intro?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crinklechiffon
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->