Apple's iPhone

Just to share a couple of points with fellow iPhone owners...

Upgraded my 3G to iOS4 last night. Can't say it looks a lot different at first glance, looks like the biggest/most noticeable new features have been reserved for 3GS and up only. Which really makes the upgrade for 3G phones just a gigantic waste of time. I kinda knew that already before I started, but had to see for myself anyway.

The upgrade itself went pretty well, though. No errors, though the upgrade + backup restore took several hours (and do let iTunes do the backup before the upgrade, because you will need it). Though it did make my transferred photos (i.e. the photos that haven't been taken with the iPhone Camera) really craptacular quality-wise, but un- and resyncing the photos was an easy fix (even if syncing now takes over an hour for me -- thanks, Steve!). It's maybe a little slower than it was, and e.g. Mail and the iPod look a little different visually but other than that it doesn't feel that different. Some people have been complaining that Safari slows down to a borderline intolerable speed in 3G with the upgrade, but really Safari's always been slow as snails on at least my phone so nothing new there. :lol:

I'm sure it's a great upgrade for anyone with 3GS or better, but 3G owners needn't bother. If it gives you anything at all, it'll probably just be trouble.

Does anyone Know where I can watch tv shows and movies online for free using my iPhone? I know YouTube but I mean sites thY show latest movies. I don't have a jailbrocken phone btw.

Another thing if anyone hS a jailbrocken phone can u tell me the pros and cons of you expirence with the phone? I'm thinking of jailbreKing just for the watching of movies online

Well i dont have an iphone but the ipod touch, and its jailbroken. I love it, you get all the apps for free, and get to personalize the different features as you want. At one point i noticed my ipod was going slower but once i got it jailbroken i couldnt go without it. :smile:

I got screwed. I got the touch last year, then six months later changed my phone and figured that my parents had used a lot of money for me to keep my ipod so little, so i got a nokia n97 mini, now six months later, im having n urge to finally get a iphone and its driving me crazy because my dad and sister just got some.
My best friend has the 4 but what i dont like and makes me not want to buy it is the design, i prefer the 3gs.
Just wondering if any french person knows where/how i can get a 16go not too expensive? :P

well, unless you are living in japan or south korea, where you would be able to properly stream video to your phone, i suggest d/ling the movie/show
and then converting it to iPhone format

that's actually what i do....

download a series, use visualhub to conver to iPhone format,
enjoy on the subways on the way to work.

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm without hbo & Internet at the moment because I'm living with my sis for a month or two until I go off to school again so I can't watch my beloved true blood, entorage and a slew of other shows I've grown accustomed to through my Internet. I'm worried about jailbreaking my phone because I won't be able to trade up next year.
I guess I'll wait till I get Internet or maybe buy a iPod touch used and jail break it or just find one one eBay already jailbroken!

Just wondering if any french person knows where/how i can get a 16go not too expensive? :P
Locating a 3G
I'm not French but I can tell you that I don't think they make the the 16gb or 32gb models of 3gs anymore since it could eat away at the iphone 4 sales at least from what I heard. Thus they only have the 8gb models of 3GS.

In any case, you might want to try a classified ad or online auction site since I know plenty of people would like to sell their 3gs in order to afford the new iPhone if their contract is not up already. At least a lot of people do in the US in any case I don't know what the Craigslist/eBay equivalents are outside of the US and Brazil. If you go through auctions check seller ratings and ask lots of questions and for classifieds make the transaction in person!

About Jailbreaking
For jailbreaking. It's now just ridiculously easy. You just go to the jailbreaking website and flip a switch! I've been jailbroken for a while (1st gen touch and iPhone 3gs), and I cannot say that I have experienced too many problems.

The only thing is that you must be careful to not update it in iTunes unless you know that that version can be re-jailbroken right away.

A lot of people accidentally upgraded from 3.1.2 to 3.1.3 and weren't able to safely unlock for MONTHS. So be wary of those updates that don't seem to be fixing any problem that you know of.

In any case, I haven't experienced problems, but to be safe, make sure to back up your SHSH Blobs (you can Google instructions). It's not required, but just do it in case you accidentally upgrade and need to downgrade again.

Oh and if you decide to jailbreak:
-Restart after you use Cydia for the first time you can download stuff before you do, since most likely you might find an app that needs a reboot. It helps with stability.
-Download Backgrounder on Cydia so you can keep track the apps that are in background mode. I don't know why developers thought I need to keep TomTom's GPS app on all day, but it's good to be able to kill it instead of letting it eat my battery all day!

Locating a 3G(s) - try eBay. As a former Apple tech I know they're not bringing them in for people to purchase. You can buy a service part but you have to trade in a broken iPhone for it at an Apple store.

Jailbreaking: Always, always, get the stuff from the Dev-Team. Sh17 like Blackrain, things that promise a jailbreak faster, are always crap. :smile:

Is it true that the iPhone 4 is really hard to find? I want the new one but I have a 3Gs right now..is the upgrade worth it? or should I just wait for a few months?

Not really about the iPhone but is anyone getting the new iPod touch.. which is basically like an iPhone without the phone part and not as great camera?

mum and I both got iPhone 4s on friday.
Last two in our city luckily, the shipment only comes once a week and they sell out immediately.
I love it, so gorgeous. Coming from having a sidekick for the past two years the difference is incredible.

i think it's not as hard to get one now because they've figured out their production line/costs. the one that's probably not gonna come out is the white one.

Got this skin for my iPhone:
SNV18905.jpg

I am a violinist so... :D

Totally, I think my whole family sold they soles to Apple. We have the old ipod shuffle, three ipod nanos, an ipod touch, three iphones 3GS and an iphone 4...
They are just so practical and you can personalize it how ever you like. :smile: Love it!
What kind of apps do you guys have?

i must be the only one in the world (it feels like it at least) who does not understand the iphone craze.....it just hasn't appealed to me at all.

^It didn't really appeal to me either, but then I got furious at my Nokia 6700 because I made a software update and it deleted all my messages. As a "revenge" I bougth the iPhone and I must say now I don't understand how I could live without it.

^^^angry birds, angry birds halloween version, and cut the rope are my 3 faves!!:heart::D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojopupra
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->