Balenciaga S/S 2006 Paris

To this day it remains as one of the most dreamweaving and awe-inspiring shows I’ve seen. It’s just amazing how Nicolas and his team managed to make such lavish, ornate clothes look so light and ethereal. Another thing that I cannot help but praise is how despite the amount of different silhouettes and references, in the end everything comes together in perfect harmony. The jacket on Gemma is everything one could wish for.

I'm sure a lot of people would be in utter shock and disbelief if they knew that this collection came from the same man that designs for Louis Vuitton. He could easily put out collections of this caliber with the resources and money available at LV. Why he's become so cautious and commercial remains a mystery to me.

To this day it remains as one of the most dreamweaving and awe-inspiring shows I’ve seen. It’s just amazing how Nicolas and his team managed to make such lavish, ornate clothes look so light and ethereal. Another thing that I cannot help but praise is how despite the amount of different silhouettes and references, in the end everything comes together in perfect harmony. The jacket on Gemma is everything one could wish for.

It's true.

In the current fashion climate where oddness and a sense of bad-taste are very much en vogue, a collection like this feels unapologetically 'pretty' in the best way possible. Not only because of all the embellishment but also the cutting itself. This collection really nailed that Ghesquiere is at his best when he cuts a lean, elongated silhouette and is testament to the fact that no matter where fashion is headed, this will always remain pleasant and aspirational. Definitely the better part of his work, unlike the collections he produced towards the later part of his Balenciaga tenure.

An awfully expensive collection.
The prices of those pieces were insane! This collection was literally haute couture. This is back when Balenciaga was very exclusive.
The quality of those garnments was untouchable.

Later i had the chance to buy some pieces from the daywear part but those eveningwear pieces were insane.

It's very interesting to see how Glamazon-esque oriented Nicolas was. There are a lot of sexy girls in this show and today, not even half of the cast could walk in a Nicolas show.

His clothes today are more gentle. They are maybe more edgy in their taste than in the cut. Balenciaga, maybe pre-2008 was very edited, very parisian, very black & white, very sophisticated. It was very Total-look oriented and later, it was more about pieces and the clash of influences.

It's kinda amazing to see that they did this show and they weren't even profitable at the time.
This was the time right after Tom Ford left and PPR basically wanted to get rid of Nicolas and he was just proving that he was the right guy who was able to deliver clothes to die for.
And Balenciaga became profitable maybe 2 years after the presentation of this collection...

One of my absolute favorite Ghesquiere collections. It hasn't aged a day - who wouldn't be still bowled over seeing this shown even tomorrow? Work of this level lives beyond time.

It's almost freakishly perfect. So much so that the impression is almost that of some advanced alien intelligence replicating Baroque influences through some future technology - the opulence is treated with such a clinical precision it's absolutely mesmerizing. The detail is almost microscopic. A true feat of genius.

What I also love about this period of Ghesquiere's work was how glamazon it was - as Lola mentioned. This era of casting was so excellent - industry wide. These were excellent models who could walk Prada, Versace, Balenciaga, Marc Jacobs, Galliano, Givenchy, Dsquared2, etc....and become a different character in each show. Models today don't seem to understand the subtle nuances of walking for these different brands and being able to project and portray many different ideas. Here, these sexy girls were able to make these often far-out, extreme clothes look not only realistic, but desirable...erotic, even. Today's girls seem to only do one thing - make everything look awkward. ESPECIALLY at a Ghesquiere LV show.

Very different times.

Thanks for posting and reviving this wonderful collection.

^^ME TOO!!!! This and FW 06 are my absolute favorite Balenciaga collections. 2006 was a very good year for fashion.
This is so true tho. Not trying to say this was the be-all end-all best time in history but it really was in a full stride. This ^^^ is "fashion". Ofc nothing stays the same, things change and get redefined, but I really wish now there was ~more~ that could run parallel to this level of not even style but just effort and honesty and integrity. Altho, there were a couple shows this past season and the one before that actually made me feel good and positive more so than the previous few years, so it's not all bad I guess lol.

Twenty years from now, when someone has an obscure question about Balenciaga S/S 2006,
Almost 20 years later (which is insane to say), I wonder if the black lace dresses went into production?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justafyck
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->