Books / Sites for Fashion Designers: Sewing, Draping, Patterns, Etc.

I have just gone back through this thread and picked up more stuff I forgot so thanks once again everyone!

has anyone purchased/read startingaclothingline.com book??

Hey all

I just wanted to know if anyone has purchased or read the books from http://www.startingaclothingline.com. If so is it any good, i mean is it worth buying, or is it pretty much useless? The site has some of the worst customer service ever, i sent them an email asking if they could lower the shipping price as i live overseas, and it is like $55 shipping for 2 books, and they just replied with "sorry we cant", thats it a 3 word reply, no from/best-regards nothing . I am a student so at the moment US$55 for shipping is kind of harsh :cry: .

I also found another book while i was searching online at http://www.fashionforprofit.com has anyone read this one, and would they recommend it?

I know you's guys are probably thinking that i should just buy the books and see for myself, but i have purchased so many "starting your own brand" fashion design books in the past, and alot of them were completly useless. Also if anyone can recommend me any good useful books/information for starting your own brand, I would be very grateful as i want to start making samples by the end of this month hopefully. Any help with making samples/manufacturing etc. will also be greatly appreciated. I have been studying/reading and trying to get as much knowledge in the industry as i can for over a year now, and i decided it is about time to actually start making the samples, and see what happens from there.:D

hmm havent read those, but they sure sound interesting
thanks for the topic allvogue and welcome to tFS :flower:

Have you tried amazon.com? they have lots of selection for fashion/retail business :smile: You will also get to read reviews from customers who bought the books you're interested in. :smile:

Hi, yea i have tried amazon. I just wanted to purchase this book, and see how good it is :D

I would say fashion for profit is not worth the money, I bought it expecting clear cut directions in terms of manufacturing, pattern making, etc. If you are just starting off and need very basic info such as how to write an invoice or info on how to deal with a sales rep then it is fine.

It covers your basics, I just expected it to be more direct. It is a good reference book, but I would say that is it.

It also has typing erros and has not been edited.

I haven't seen the books and that is the first time I've seen that website but my personal opinion is that if you have to hype an industry book up that much it probably isn't worth it. Afterall you don't see ANY hype for the really good patternmaking and draping books. I wouldn't waste my money on it.

I'm not sure what books you're looking at buying but I'm sure you can find all the information, and probably more detailed, just by reading these forums and doing your own research. As far as presenting to buyers I doubt much has changed, just go to the library and find some older fashion industry book and also look at the thread in here, there was some good advice. For industry contacts the ones they are giving you you can easily get yourself from your local apparel organization. It's not like they are telling you how to contact big name designers personally, it's is just contacts for manufacturers and whatnot. For the step by step guide to starting a clothing like you can totally figure that out yourself. I mean first you need to draw your designs, then you need to price them but if you are not experienced in that yet you make the samples first so that you can price them, once the samples are made you find a manufacturer, then you find buyers, then you get them manufactured.

I mean that's really breaking it down simply but I doubt those books are meant for anyone who already has some knowledge and if you have been researching for a year you probably already know almost everything in them. They're meant for people who don't know anything about the industry and have some half ***ed idea they're going to go out and start a clothing line and so they spend this money on an all-in-one get-rich-quick gimick package and then probably never do anything with it.

Of course that is just my personal opinion...take it or leave it. But if you are concerned about the cost I'd say you are better off buying a book that was published by Fairchild Books as they make most of the textbooks used in schools.

www.fairchildbooks.com is the address, you can download their catalogue and then if you see a book you like and you can't find it anywhere your local university may be able to or you can try calling one of the big schools and asking if they can order it in for you and mail it (assuming there are none in your city that is)

Books on knowing the industry. Please help!

I started a brand with no previous knowledge of designing and surprisingly it's been doing pretty well but, I really don't have a clue on what I'm doing or how to run a company. I NEED HELP FAST!!!!!

Can anyone recommend book's on:
1. Everything you would learn in a designing program (or close enough!) I'm doing clothes on a street fashion level but, I would like to expand on some cut & sew and I'm really interested in learning more. I know how to sew and make a few amateur patterns but, that's about it.
2. How to run and manage your own clothing company. An outline of who does what. If my company expands pass my living room then, I would have to hire more people.

I'm willing to learn and wish I had learnt it when I was in school. Unfortunately where I live, they don't offer any college level programs in English so, I would have to learn it through books.
Thank you so much in advance and bare with my "Sewing for dummies!"

i'm not necessarily sure this is would help you, but i think this book is fantastic!
Fashion Brands: Branding Style From Armani To Zara

The Fashion Designer Survival Guide : An Insider's Look at Starting and Running Your Own Fashion Business

^ me too, although I haven't yet read it, I've heard nothing but good things and it has helped many people start their own business

I'M sooooooo EXCITED!!!!
So, did all of you go to school for designing? If so do you feel that it really helped your career?

In true honesty, design school is simply design school. Majoring in fashion design teaches you nothing or at least not enough to run your own business.

If you want to run your own business you'd be better off majoring or studying business before majoring in fashion design. Fashion design just teaches you how to be a designer working for someone else and gives you the skills to sketching/designing, patternmaking, draping, garment construction. That's all you really learn in design school.

Ok,
So what do you guys think is the most helpful book on how to sew.
I found two that I was interested in...
"Sewing secrets from the fashion industry"
"High fashion sewing secrets from the worlds best designers"
Anybody read any of these?

Books for Fashion DESIGN, Sewing, Draping -- technical side of Fashion

Hey everyone,
I'm new here. I did a search for similar topics but I didn't really find any that hit the nail on its head.
I'm finishing secondary school this year and I want to have a career in fashion design. I wouldn't really say that I'm a beginner at garment construction, because I've taken some basic sewing classes and have taught myself other things apart from that (from the handy dandy internet, of course! :smile:. I'm in the process of preparing a portfolio for the eventual university of my choice, so i just wanted to know what text books I should buy now that would help me improve skills now as well as be handy later. Should I buy a book on draping as well as fashion illustration? What other books would help me with a portfolio? Any recommendations that you can't live without?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imi
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->