Books / Sites for Fashion Designers: Sewing, Draping, Patterns, Etc.

i don't think there's a dvd which does that. although, if there is,i'd love to get my hands on it to learn!!!

beautiful picture^...

The dress is two parts
You have a full dress underneath
and then there is a separate fabric placed on top of it, attached from the waist going to the one shoulder, down the back and coming back to the front from the sides... and then tied

A lot of her work is so fine, the pleats... She must be using a pleating machine. You can also do it by hand--the technique can be called "ruching". I learned this in an intro to draping course.
What about a draping DVD??? It's like the white elaphant I've heard it exists but I've only found the super basic year one stuff nothing advanced.
Did you take a year one basic course? I wonder what they taught you... Right now actually I felt my course was so basic, but I have yet to find a draped design I can't figure out... I might look at the Japanese designers...

are there any books/dvds on how to design shoes and anything to do with fragrances?

Id never come across a book about draping, but id love to! I learned at school, but found it was more useful to experiment on my own once i bought my own dressform. However, trying different styles suggested on a book would be really nice, getting new inspiration from there,etc

Looking for books in patternmaking, portfolio creation and fashion drawing

I am looking for something that would be accessible for beginners but wouldn't mind if it contains advanced topics as well. Simply put, I am not merely interested in learning only the basics. I am looking for something that I can build on.

Any books you would recommend?

Many thanks! :flower:

Merged with existing thread ... please do a search before starting new threads. Thanks!

Here are a few good books which I have read, that might be applicable to some:

Vogue- Easy Sewing

Metric Pattern Cutting 4th Edition - Winifred Aldrich

The Fashion Handbook- Tim Jackson and David Shaw

Retail Store Leadership- Graham R.Little

I started a brand with no previous knowledge of designing and surprisingly it's been doing pretty well but, I really don't have a clue on what I'm doing or how to run a company. I NEED HELP FAST!!!!!

Can anyone recommend book's on:
1. Everything you would learn in a designing program (or close enough!) I'm doing clothes on a street fashion level but, I would like to expand on some cut & sew and I'm really interested in learning more. I know how to sew and make a few amateur patterns but, that's about it.
2. How to run and manage your own clothing company. An outline of who does what. If my company expands pass my living room then, I would have to hire more people.

I'm willing to learn and wish I had learnt it when I was in school. Unfortunately where I live, they don't offer any college level programs in English so, I would have to learn it through books.
Thank you so much in advance and bare with my "Sewing for dummies!"

I was actually looking for something else and ran across this post... Look into a book called Fashion For Profit, by Frances Harder Fashion schools use her book as a reference...
Hope this helps, Good Luck

I started a brand with no previous knowledge of designing and surprisingly it's been doing pretty well but, I really don't have a clue on what I'm doing or how to run a company. I NEED HELP FAST!!!!!

Can anyone recommend book's on:
1. Everything you would learn in a designing program (or close enough!) I'm doing clothes on a street fashion level but, I would like to expand on some cut & sew and I'm really interested in learning more. I know how to sew and make a few amateur patterns but, that's about it.
2. How to run and manage your own clothing company. An outline of who does what. If my company expands pass my living room then, I would have to hire more people.

I'm willing to learn and wish I had learnt it when I was in school. Unfortunately where I live, they don't offer any college level programs in English so, I would have to learn it through books.
Thank you so much in advance and bare with my "Sewing for dummies!"

I was actually looking for something else and ran across this post... Look into a book called Fashion For Profit, by Frances Harder Fashion schools use her book as a reference...
Hope this helps, Good Luck

The pattern drafting book actually used in industry is "Patternmaking for Designers of Womenswear and Mens Casual Wear" by Jack Handford. Ditto for his very hard to get pattern grading text.

For construction you should get "Guide to Fashion Sewing" by Connie Amaden-Crawford.
Ditto for her draping text.

Most importantly avoid home-sewing books. They will just teach you bad habits you will have to unlearn later. Go right for industry books.

I'm not in fashion school (yet?), but I do have a suggestion for those looking for fashion-related books. Check museum shops!

Books for Pattern Construction

Hello everyone :smile: Great forum!

I am studying fashion design and i would like to ask if anyone has any suggestion on books about pattern construction womens-mens wear.

(I'm sorry if this is not the correct section to post this, but i didn't know where to post it! :/)

Thank you :D

I was wondering the same thing but on internet... though if there's any great books I think I would go for them too. My sewing teacher has one that showed how to make one of Dior's collars. (I should ask him what it's called. He actually makes pattern for a magazine here in france.)

I found this http://www.coupecouture.fr/2009/11/patron_de_pantalon.html
but it's just the simple stuff for people that sew as a hobby. ^_^'

There's a book I worked with recently called 'Pattern Magic' 1 & 2 by Tomoko Nakamichi... until recently they were only published in english, previously they were in Japanese... I loved working with it... only problem is its abit like being given a map and having the route plan missing, there aren't any instructions, just picture diagrams... but aside from that I got alot of enjoyment out of the process of working through various patterns.

Help ugrently!!!!!!!!!!

Hello guys I need help for a personal project.

do one of you happen to know of any good books about 'knitwear, fleece and jersey designing'??

I am not looking for a book for knitters ( hand or machine). Nor am I looking for knit patterns and stitches

I am looking for a book for knitwear&jersey designing, different types of raw materials used, knitwear/jersey development and finishing( stitches and details to finish these types of garments). Something like a practical day to day guide for a knit/jersey designer.

PLEASE HELP URGENTLY!!!!!!!

Can anyone tell me review or personal opinion about Draping: The Complete Course by Karolyn Kiisel?

Welcome to the Fashion Spot, Tanyasri! I can't answer ... just wanted to welcome you. I hope that someone else can help ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->