Books / Sites for Fashion Designers: Sewing, Draping, Patterns, Etc.

I have a book called "Portfolio Presentation for fashion designers" by Linda Tain that I'm using right now to help me get my portfolio together. Also you may try getting a book on flat pattern. An old one would be fine since it hasn't really changed. The one I lerned from is by Norma R. Hollen and it's an old copy from the 80's. As far as fashion illlustration, I love "fashion illustration next".

Thanks alot everyone. Went prodding around amazon and many of the books mentioned have received great reviews. Oh, and I know I sound like a total newbie, but what exactly is flat pattern making? If I drafted a simple a- line skirt on a sheet of paper, is that flat pattern making? And flat as opposed to what other kind exactly?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that is^
The other is the draping method, where you use a dress form (mannequin) and put the fabric over it and create the garment that way.

Good luck!

Seems some of these books have been mentioned here before but I'll post them again since I think they are worthy of being bought.
Fashion For Profit (Perfect Paperback)

by Frances J Harder

Couture Sewing Techniques [ILLUSTRATED] (Paperback)

by Claire B. Shaeffer (Author)

High Fashion Sewing Secrets from the World's Best Designers: A Step-By-Step Guide to Sewing Stylish Seams, Buttonholes, Pockets, Collars, Hems, And More (Rodale Sewing Book) (Paperback)

by Claire B. Shaeffer (Author), Glee Barre (Illustrator)

The Fashion Designer Survival Guide, Revised and Expanded Edition: Start and Run Your Own Fashion Business (Paperback)

by Mary Gehlhar (Author), Diane Von Furstenberg (Author)

Details Men's Style Manual: The Ultimate Guide for Making Your Clothes Work for You by Daniel Peres
Patternmaking for Fashion Design
by Helen Joseph Armstrong

The Art of Manipulating Fabric
by Colette Wolff

Portfolio Presentation for fashion designers
by Linda Tain

i'd like to suggest the book Fashion: From Concept to Consumer by Gini Stephens Frings

here's a link

the book is really informative. i actually have an old copy (1999 edition) but i still find it rather accurate.

contents: Fashion Development, Consumer Demand and Fashion Marketing, Fashion Change and Consumer Acceptance, Fashion Research and Analysis, Raw Materials of Fashion (Fabrics, Trimmings, Notions), International Fashion Centers, Product and Design Development, Apparel Production, Accessories manufacturing, Wholesale Markets, Sales Promotion and Distribution, Fashion Retailing and Merchandising, Career Guidelines and some Fashion Terminology.

basically everything about the fashion business.

another book i would like to recommend is Patternmaking for Fashion Design by Helen Joseph-Armstrong
even if you know nothing about patternmaking, you'll learn it from this book. i also have an old edition of the book (1987) but it is really useful.

Here's a link

draping for apparel design

I took this book out of the library yesterday
Draping for Apparel design
by Helen Joseph Armstrong
bi6szc.jpg

craftstylish.com
While it's good it helps you create basic patterns.. which I can already do with drafting. I was hoping for more theory or experimentation... There is a very short section on Madeleine Vionnet's techniques
such as creating a garment with a twist or knot of fabric

I was hoping for a book on more of that type of thing. Any suggestions?

latest fashion book additions

here is what i bought recently
great books - highly recommended:

Stylist,The Interpreters of Fashion
Deluxe: How Luxury lost its luster by Dana Thomas
Dictionary of Fashion and Fashion Designers {Thames&Huddson}
The fundamentals of Fashion Design by Richard Sorger&Jenny Udale
Textiles and Fashion by Jenny Udale
Research and Design by Simon Seivewright
Vogue Sewing {revised and updated}
Digital Fashion Illustration by Kevin Tallon
The Art of Fashion Draping by Amaden-Crawford
9 heads by Nancy Riegelman
Fashion Design Drawing Course by Caroline Tatham and Julian Seamon

i would also suggest The Artisit;s way by Julia Cameron for anyone in any creative field.
It's a 12 week course that guides you through the process if recovering your creative self.It dispels " iam not talented enough" conditioning that holds many people back and helps you to unleash your inner artist.

Hope this is helpful!
Good luck to you all :smile:

madeleine vionnet by betty kirke

im not sure if this is the book im talking about, the one with a lot of her patterns inside. amazing to see

yes that's the one, muxu :heart:

dju dju thanks for the list! art of fashion draping sounds interesting.. i read they have more experimental techniques, from amazon.com
i took out draping for apparel design but it's about basic patterns i can draft already. three experimental techniques though.. knot, twist and wrap

Do textile books teach you about all the clang like what brocade is and whatnot?

Yes if you find an "encyclopedia" type book
like Mary Paul Yates' Fabrics: a guide for interior designers and architects

Talks about different yarns, finishes, weaves..

Also Fabrics for Interiors by Jack Lenor Larsen

Not for interior design, fahsion design. I'm just interested in looking at a runway pic and knowing the material and its technique. Liek Prada used forms of brocade?

Not for interior design, fahsion design. I'm just interested in looking at a runway pic and knowing the material and its technique. Liek Prada used forms of brocade?
actually thinking about it now.. maybe the books I mentioned don't describe brocade so technically, (like if you are interested in how it is made) .you will have to use a Weaving techniques book

If you have a fabric that is printed or has some kind of surface design on it (dye, bleach, embroidery) you search for a Surface Design book to find the techniques .If the fabric is woven, you find a Weaving book. there are also knits and so on...

You might find your info in the textile science section of the library ,but I can also try to help you in the other thread (Fabric ID & Dict thread). BtW You probably mean Miu Miu, not Prada for fall 2009?

YES!
Fabric id. I would lvoe to look at runway pictures and be like, oh theres, i dont know gilded whatever.

in case of brocade, it can be difficult unless you are in person with the material :wink:
and can handle it yourself. because you can look at the threads and see the structure
sometimes woven patterns will not be brocade but something known as jacquard...
glad someone is interested! :P

any suggestions on books about the design process ?

i found this book on amazon.com
The Ultimate Fashion Study Guide - The Design Process
by Victoria Hunter

Here's a little bit from the table of contents
The book also has templates for croquis and technical flats.

Know your customer
-target customer/market groups
-different body types

Design Basics
-Principles & Elements of Design

The Design Process
-inspiration, themes & creativity
-fabrication & colour
-items, ensembles, groups & collections
-putting it all together

Professional Design Presentation
-technical flat drawing
-illustrations
-presentation boards
--theme/inspiration
--customer/profile
--merchandising plan
--technical flat
--illustration

Sourcing

What about a draping DVD??? It's like the white elaphant I've heard it exists but I've only found the super basic year one stuff nothing advanced.

i study draping ..to be honest, it seems like it's just a very simple 'concept' ,of creating patterns for clothes by working on the body
you don't need to go advanced with it..

just my impression..

are there draped designs you've seen that you can't figure out?
i'd be curious to see..

I more or less want a draping DVD for my library,what I would like would be someone draping a Madame Gres style grecian dress from start to finish.....like this one.....
Credit:Irving Solero
newyork.metromix.com

Attachments

• 313663 1.jpg
    313663 1.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->