Cannes Film Festival

I'm not terribly surprised about Southland Tales. I think Richard Kelly lucked out with the way Donnie Darko was recieved by the fans, but he doesn't seem to have really mastered his craft. I don't expect him to be a master writer and filmmaker, either; he's young and probably has ample time to figure things out. I just hope that him premiering something that doesn't sound to be his finest work at Cannes so early in his career won't hurt him. Granted, Cannes is filled with hits and misses, but I think that one of the main reasons that they allowed him to show there in the first place was because of his Donnie Darko "success." Now that it seems like Southland Tales will not reach the same status as Darko, I hope that he won't be ruled out in the future, although I believe he still shows enough promise to be able to come out with some interesting projects in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I agree. i've also read mixed reviews on Southland Tales. The main consensus seems to be that it was an interesting concept but poorly executed.

Looks like alot of new talents aren't getting that great a response at Cannes this year... Richard Kelly and now Sophia Coppola

Movie-maker Sofia Coppola has defended her new period drama Marie-Antoinette after it was booed during a press screening at the Cannes Film Festival Tuesday night. Despite admitting the response was "disappointing," Coppola insisted the Kirsten Dunst-starring movie was always going to provoke heated debate. She said, "It's better to get a reaction, it's better than a mediocre response. Hopefully some people will enjoy it. I think it's not for everybody." Coppola was defended at the festival by the film's stars Dunst, who also appeared in Coppola's The Virgin Suicides in 1999, and British actor Steve Coogan. Dunst said, "I like the movie and I'm really proud." Coogan added, "When you make something that's personal and specific it's inevitable that there will be some naysayers, and it's better to have that than just have a bland uniform response. I think it shows that Sofia is true to her voice. I've seen the film and it's consistent with all the qualities that make her films great in the past. People who like Sofia Coppola will love this film. People who don't won't but then they're not really under her radar anyway." The biopic of the tragic French queen premieres in Cannes tonight.

www.imdb.com

is anyone suprised about the reaction to Marie Antionette? I'm not. I'm just not a fan of Sophia. The Virgin Suicides was good but Lost in Translation was all hype.

Did anyone see Babel or Volver i cant wait to see those movies.Pedro is always amazing i think i am additced to his movies!

Emil said:
Did anyone see Babel or Volver i cant wait to see those movies.Pedro is always amazing i think i am additced to his movies!

agreed!! would love to hear reviews from anyone who was lucky enough to see it.

re: marie antoinette, i guess i'll see it when it comes out on DVD but am not holding my breath. am surprised that it was booed, however, so maybe i'll see it for myself to see why it sucks?!

Emil said:

Exactly!:D I love Pedro almodovars movies and from what I've read about Volver it seems to be an interesting story. Can't wait to see that movie!
I'm really excited about Babel as well, Gael Garcia Bernal and Brad pitt in one movie is just waaayyy too good:lol: Nah, I love the director too!:P I think his name is Alejandro González Iñárritu and was also involved in Amores Perross and 21 grams, two other fave movies of me, so it has to be a great movie!:woot:

I saw Volver in Spain, it was great. Like I said for hundred times, Almodovar makes a great film and Penelope is a major standout, she's really good,surprisingly good.

Oh great thanks Odette!Now i cant wait even more.
Sunrise i hear you girl.Brad and Gael in the same movie under the hands of Alejandro?To good to pass!

igotgoodjeans said:
agreed!! would love to hear reviews from anyone who was lucky enough to see it.

re: marie antoinette, i guess i'll see it when it comes out on DVD but am not holding my breath. am surprised that it was booed, however, so maybe i'll see it for myself to see why it sucks?!
Oh i wouldnt give up on Marie Antoinette just yet.It was booed but the next day it got standing ovation.So who can tell.I am going to see it and decide for myself.:blush:

Oh great thanks Odette!Now i cant wait even more.

You're welcomed,seriously, you must watch it. Very Almodovar,very about Spanish old way, good performances and Penelope is gorgeous(very Sofia Loren/italian girl thing) and she's very good. The first scene is very powerful.

Odette said:
You're welcomed,seriously, you must watch it. Very Almodovar,very about Spanish old way, good performances and Penelope is gorgeous(very Sofia Loren/italian girl thing) and she's very good. The first scene is very powerful.
THANKS!!!:heart: :flower: :heart:

Gooo Kaurismäki!

When exactly will the winners be announced? In late evening I guess?

Cannes Winners!

Ken"s Loch Irish war film picks up "Palm d"Or"!Congratulations!
The ensamble cast of Almodovars Volver won best actress cast!
Almodovar also won the best screenplay for Volver so i guess its not so bad that he lost!Go Pedro!:flower:
Best director went to Alejadro Gonzalez Inarritu for Babel!:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
If someone could post the entire list of winner categories it would be great i cant right now,so i posted just the most important ones!
The winner is quite a surprise i guess since the critics favourite was Volver!Bad that Pedro didnt win but at least he got something!
Still waiting for the movie!!

Thanks so much Emil!!!! :woot: *major karma*

Variety said:
Posted: Sun., May 28, 2006, 2:45pm PT

Loach 'Shakes' up Palme d'Or
'Flanders' takes Grand Prix

By TODD MCCARTHY

Ken Loach's 'The Wind That Shakes the Barley' won the Plame d'Or at the 59th Cannes Film Festival.

CANNES -- Honoring one of its favorite veteran auteurs rather than one of the numerous young turks on the scene, the Cannes Film Festival awarded the Palme d'Or for 2006 to British director Ken Loach for "The Wind That Shakes the Barley," an incisive look at strife in Ireland circa 1920.

The jury for the 59th Cannes fest, headed by Wong Kar-wai, struck a relatively safe and conventional note in its distribution of prizes, veering off only with the bounty of acting awards to two ensembles, male and female, and in giving two nods to "Volver" while leaving its director, Pedro Almodovar, with a screenplay prize for the melodrama but still without a Palme d'Or of his own.

War, in fact, was the dominant subject among several of the winners, including Bruno Dumont's "Flanders," which copped the Grand Prix, and Rachid Bouchareb's "Indigenes" (Days of Glory), which won the male acting prize for its five leads, as well as the Loach.

Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu took home the best director prize for "Babel," his study of miscommunication and generational angst filmed in three countries.

Jury prize was given to British first-time director Andrea Arnold for her intense Scottish-set drama, "Red Road."

Perhaps Almodovar can take consolation in the fact that Loach has been a frequent bridesmaid at Cannes the English vet was in the competition for the eighth time this year and has received assorted awards for "Looks and Smiles," "Hidden Agenda" and "Raining Stones." Wong made a point of stating that the Palme d'Or was the first award the jury voted on and that the choice was unanimous.

Ever the political animal, Loach noted in his acceptance speech, which he delivered in both English and French, that the film was designed to make the British confront their colonial history, and concluded that, "If we tell the truth about the past, maybe we can tell the truth about the present."

A total of 11 thesps were honored in the acting categories. The femme ensemble from "Volver" consisted of Penelope Cruz, Carmen Maura, Lola Duenas, Blanca Portillo, Yohana Cobo and Chus Lampreave. The actors playing North African soldiers in the French Army during World War II were Jamel Debbouze, Samy Naceri, Roschdy Zem, Sami Bouajila and Bernard Blancan. Latter group carried on onstage at the Lumiere for quite a while, breaking into one of the film's army songs at the end, to a rousing reception.

The films honored were among the more mainstream and accessible films in the competition, with the exception of Dumont's "Flanders," which returns to something close to the style of the director's previous Cannes-honored "L'humanite" as it links some blunt male-female sexuality in France to shocking violence on an unnamed Middle Eastern battlefront.

The Palme d'Or for short films went to "Sniffer" from Norway, directed by Bobbie Peers; Pablo Augero's "First Snow," directed by by Pablo Augero, from France-Argentina, and a special mention was made of Florence Miailhe's "Conte de quartier," from France-Canada.

The top Un Certain Regard prize was won by Wang Chao's contempo Chinese drama "Luxury Car." Special jury prize for the Official Selection sidebar went to Aussie helmer Rolf De Heer's Aboriginal tale "Ten Canoes," while acting prizes in the section were given to Dorotheea Petre for the Romanian-French coming-of-age drama "How I Spent the End of the World" and to Don Angel Tavira for the Mexican drama 'The Violin." The president of the jury's prize, presumably representing the choice of jury topper Monte Hellman, was Patrick Grandperret's "Murderers."

The Camera d'Or, given to a first feature from across all sections of Cannes (there were many this year), was snared by Romanian helmer Corneliu Porumboiu's droll political comedy "12:08 East of Bucharest," which unspooled in the Directors Fortnight.

At the jury press conference following the ceremony, Helena Bonham Carter made the most telling remark, stating, "You'd think, two films a day, what a pleasure. But there's been lots of violence, lots of brutality, and we've had to enter very bleak landscapes, and it's taken a real toll on all of us. The Loach, which was one of five films about war -- I can't explain our mass reaction. I think we were just profoundly moved."

Palestinian director Elia Suleiman echoed these comments by saying, "What is very interesting about the films in competition is that a lot of them are engaged with issues of the world today. We live in a very troubled global atmosphere. There was no specific attention to what a film was about, but how it told the story."

Striking a different note, Wong couldn't help but point out the obvious, that this was "the most hot-looking jury I've ever seen," what with the beauty of Monica Bellucci, Zhang Ziyi and Bonham Carter balanced by the cool of Samuel L. Jackson and the friskiness of Tim Roth, whose overt chumminess with Bellucci during the red carpet entrances had viewers in stitches. Bellucci's husband, Vincent Cassel, hosted the ceremony. Other jurors were Patrice Leconte and Lucrecia Martel.

(Additional reporting by Justin Chang)

And the winners are...

INTL.COMPETITION JURY AWARDS

PALME D'OR
"The Wind That Shakes the Barley" (dir. Ken Loach, Ireland-U.K.-Germany-Italy-Spain).

GRAND PRIX
"Flanders" (Bruno Dumont, France).

SCREENPLAY
Pedro Almodovar ("Volver," Spain).

DIRECTOR
Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu ("Babel," U.S.).

ACTOR
"the brotherhood of actors of 'Days of Glory'" -- Jamel Debbouze, Samy Naceri, Roschdy Zem, Sami Bouajila, Bernard Blancan (Rachid Bouchareb, France-Morocco-Algeria-Belgium).

ACTRESS
"the family of actresses of 'Volver'" -- Penelope Cruz, Carmen Maura, Lola Duenas, Blanca Portillo, Yohana Cobo, Chus Lampreave.

JURY PRIZE
"Red Road" (Andrea Arnold, U.K.-Denmark).

SHORT FILM JURY AWARDS

PALME D'OR
"Sniffer" (Bobbie Peers, Norway).

JURY PRIZE
"First Snow" (Pablo Aguero, France-Argentina).

SPECIAL MENTION
"Conte de quartier" (Florence Miailhe, France-Canada).

UN CERTAIN REGARD JURY AWARDS

GRAND PRIX
"Luxury Car" (Wang Chao, China-France).

SPECIAL JURY PRIZE
"Ten Canoes" (Rolf de Heer, Australia).

ACTRESS
Dorotheea Petre ("How I Spent the End of the World," Romania-France).

ACTOR
Don Angel Tavira ("The Violin," Mexico).

JURY PRESIDENT'S AWARD
"Murderers" (Patrick Grandperret, France)

CAMERA D'OR JURY AWARD
"12:08 East of Bucharest" (Corneliu Porumboiu, Romania).

CINEFONDATION JURY AWARDS

FIRST PRIZE
"Ge & Zeta" (Gustavo Riet, Argentina).

SECOND PRIZE
"Mr. Schwartz, Mr. Hazen & Mr. Horlocker" (Stefan Mueller, Germany).

THIRD PRIZE (ex aequo)
"Mother" (Sian Heder, U.S.), "The Virus" (Agnes Kocsis, Hungary).

OTHER JURY AWARDS

Fipresci (intl. critics' assn.) Awards
Competition -- "Climates" (Nuri Bilge Ceylan, Turkey-France)
Un Certain Regard -- "Paraguayan Hammock" (Paz Encina, France-Argentina-Netherlands[/B] -- Paraguay-Spain)
Directors' Fortnight -- "Bug" (William Friedkin, U.S.).

Commission Superieure Technique de l'Image et du Son Award
Stephen Mirrione (editor, "Babel," U.S.).

Loach 'Shakes' up Palme d'Or 'Flanders' takes Grand Priz - Variety said:
Striking a different note, Wong couldn't help but point out the obvious, that this was "the most hot-looking jury I've ever seen," what with the beauty of Monica Bellucci, Zhang Ziyi and Bonham Carter balanced by the cool of Samuel L. Jackson and the friskiness of Tim Roth, whose overt chumminess with Bellucci during the red carpet entrances had viewers in stitches. Bellucci's husband, Vincent Cassel, hosted the ceremony. Other jurors were Patrice Leconte and Lucrecia Martel.

:lol::lol::lol: So true, glad Wong Kar-wai pointed that out :lol:

About that booing...

From Nerve's ScreenGrab, "Sofia, Marie, and the Myth of the French Boos":

Some more words about Marie-Antoinette’s boos. Everybody’s been propagating this silliness about the French booing Sofia Coppola’s film. (Dave Poland seems to be the only one who is admirably skeptical.) I noted briefly earlier that the idea of the French becoming suddenly enraged by this film didn’t make sense, since a number of French critics had already seen the film before Cannes, and registered their admiration.

Let’s explore this a bit more closely. First, take a look at Mike’s posted averages of the Screen Daily and Le Film Francais critics’ ratings. Notice anything interesting? Marie-Antoinette is not too far from the top. And as of this writing, on the Film Francais poll, it’s virtually neck and neck with widely-acknowledged fest fave Volver for the top spot among competition films. Sacre bleu! But I sought zose cwazy Fwench hated theez feelm!

Let’s also look at the box office numbers. Marie-Antoinette has already opened in France, where it premiered this week. (That’s why the French critics saw it early.) Needless to say, it was beaten by X-Men: The Last Stand, which was to be expected. But it’s still doing brisk business, right up there with a juggernaut like The Da Vinci Code.

Unfortunately, the media loves to latch onto a story, and when it does, it just will not let go. The idea of the French wanting to guillotine the Goddaughter and Mary Jane Watson is just a lot more compelling (and simple-minded) than the fact that Marie-Antoinette might actually be a successful, if flawed, film that people are genuinely interested in seeing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yams Yamborghini
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"