Che Guevara

Discussion in 'Trend Spotting' started by faust, Mar 30, 2004.

1. faust

faust New Member

He must be turning in his grave. This is not just pathetic, this is truly dangerous. This is what pop-culture has become best at, assimilating any importance into a mindless blur.

From New York Times

2. twilight fairy

twilight fairy New Member

people who wear che shirts don't even know he was exactly.. :innocent: (rebellion and all that)..haha..people are really pathetic..

3. Sugo

Sugo New Member

That's really awful.

4. tangerine

tangerine Soviet Camaro

"...rebellion and all that" :cry:

5. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

i find the whole thing odd...surely the parents of these babies kow who che is...why would you want that on a t shirt?...

i do find the image very compelling though and can see why it is still popular after all these years...too bad he didn't have this much popular support when he was alive...maybe he wouldn't have been executed... :innocent: ;)

6. Barbie

Barbie New Member

I used to have a picture of Che in my room ...it was Warhol style...the multi color I have also read Che's motorcycle diaries and his speeches and am versed in his beliefs...not saying I agree with all of them...but I have at least took the time to read about the man...These people are following a trend..it's the blind...leading the ignorant !!! It was the same in the 90's with the Malcolm X caps and jackets..people wore them not understanding the man or his message but because someone famous or someone they considered a trend setter did... And when you asked them about the man they utter the words...he was a rebel the same thing that is being said about Che

7. Betty Boop

Betty Boop New Member

50% of all girls in my collage wear t-shirts or have bags with Che Guevara on them... most of them think that he is the singer in Rage against the machine!! :blink: stupid stupid people!! :angry:

8. softgrey

:eek: ...it's sad...but also kind of funny...you know...? :rolleyes: :lol:

9. chocsta

chocsta New Member

I never knew about him till now... :shock:

I don't have any Che apparel and I'm glad :p

10. ahhGucci

ahhGucci Active Member

Typical...
    I have read Geurilla warfare by Che Guevara. I don't base my life on Che, and he has little relevance to most Teens in the US. Like Betty said, people think he was a singer RATM (I've never heard that one before)
    Around here, if you wear a Che tee, someone will bound to give you a lecture on how Fidel did or didn't kill him.....

11. strawberry daiquiri

strawberry daiquiri seagreen serenades

Che is my homeboy... déjà vu, déjà vu, déjà vu :ninja:

12. purplelucrezia

purplelucrezia New Member

It's nothing new... :innocent:

13. tangerine

tangerine Soviet Camaro

When will the shirts be ready, and how much are you charging? :lol:

14. ahhGucci

ahhGucci Active Member

Ohhh, now I remember, when will you stop with your mockery....

15. Atelier

Atelier Hoppity Hop

This thread reminds me of Charlotte making fun of Kelly for checking into the hotel under the name "Evelyn Waugh." The wardrobe choices of people who slept through or didn't take intro poli sci is surely not a sign of the apocalypse. Random adoption of icons takes many forms and, come on, who hasn't done it.

16. Acid

Acid yes

:lol:

i dont know who this guy is.......something to do with cuba and military

there is a HUGE picture of him on a bridge in portobello road.

he looks kinda cool

17. faust

faust New Member

I haven't. It is fine to associate oneself with the certian philosphical ideas, but to tout a symbol of something that others fought and gave their lives for as fashion is beyond all shallowness. And to make money off of it is not even shallow, it's immoral...

18. Spike413

Spike413 barcode

This isn't a new trend though, I've seen many a t-shirt with Che's image on it (for styles sake of course) But on kids clothes :huh: it's a bit much. I dunno, it's weird in a sense b/c the people wearing it probably are not wearing his image because they support his beliefs or anything. I dunno, it's a little different then wearing a dead rock star on your shirt, don't you think?

19. softgrey

I haven't. It is fine to associate oneself with the certian philosphical ideas, but to tout a symbol of something that others fought and gave their lives for as fashion is beyond all shallowness. And to make money off of it is not even shallow, it's immoral... [/b][/quote]
    good thing you're becoming a teacher ...faust....

i'm sure you'll set any future generations who cross your path straight on these and many other philosphical ideals... :flower:

hang on to those ideals, my friend.... B)

20. Atelier

Atelier Hoppity Hop

Oh really, Mr. Reznor? The NIN logo is no different from Che's image in terms of adoption. I point this out in the spirit of this discussion only, not to be a wise-ass. Would it be immoral for a post-"Closer" bandwagon fan who doesn't know the tracklisting to "Broken" to wear a freshly purchased concert shirt at the mall? Of course not. I don't think Trent or Che would care in the least.