Christian Dior S/S 2017 Paris

I was really hoping this would be a triumph, for the sake of Dior, for fashion in general, and because I really like her work.... but man, what a flop. It was a Valentino collection, literally. And a quite weak Valentino collection for that matter. I often say that one of the biggest issues for designers working at Dior is that the heritage of the brand is so heavy and a lot of times crippling, and that I wish they would try to break from it and put their own personality and ideas in it. But she took that idea and really ran with it. I don't need, or particularly want, a Dior collection to be half bar suits and half gowns, but imma need at least something that reminds me what brand i'm buying into, what it represents. This had zero Dior in it, it was all what she had already done before. The fencing element was a really weak idea to be headline of the collection, especially your debut one. And the rest was too childish, from those cutesy dresses to those corny t-shirts... it lacked a sense of grand sophistication and attitude.

I hope she find her way around the house and presents a stronger, more singular vision, because we already have one Valentino, we don't need two.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's nice, it's beautiful, it's pretty but that isn't saying much. This could have well been a Valentino show (just like Vaccarello replaced his brand name with Saint Laurent) with the odd bar jacket thrown it to make it more Dior-esque.

It wasn't as though I was expecting something groundbreaking but I expected a little more. It started off very promising but went into generic-zone not long after. A lot of it seems to be geared towards the tumblr, instagram, street-style it-crowd. The irony is that "Dio(r)evolution" is printed on one of the t-shirts and this collection is anything but a revolution or an evolution for that matter, it's just stagnant Valentino.

I can almost bet that she's cut all the patterns she will use in all ready to wear collections, will use the same show set and probably the same music (which I loved for the most part). It will make the shareholders and finance department very happy, but I don't think we can expect any surprises with Dior for the time being. I hope she proves my wrong with couture. Boy, do I miss Raf!!!

There are some beautiful outfits like that khaki trench and lace dress in the last post, I wish she'd continued to do more outfits in that dresses up vein but instead we get "Dior j'adore' underwear and bra straps ruining everything (・・?) seriously they made all those sheer dresses look cheaper.

Such of waste of time...
At least for now, we know why Valentino has been such a boredom. I'm so tired of that silhouette and the sheer dresses. Could someone burn them please!!??

And the underwear-Christian Dior-thing that belongs more on a DKNY/CK runway was so passé.
The Fencing inspiration is maybe new for Dior but what's the point if it's to make it look like Valentino.

The only great things about it were the kitten heels and the tailored Dior pantsuits.
It seems like she was inspired by the Gianfranco Ferré years. A lot of silhouettes reminded me of him.

At the end, you felt people were so annoyed about it that they were literally ready to leave. They stood up, not for a standing ovation but more to get out of there.

Uninspiring...as if Dior wasn't boring enough.
Good luck for the Dior and Valentino PR department.
I'm done with Dior. I didn't care before but now, i really don't care for this.
After nearly 7 years of slump, i don't think we will get something out of them anymore.

Loove that fencing inspired beginning! I never thought that fencing jacket can look so good as a basic, daily jacket. I think that's genius. Would love to have one men's version for myself! The other part of the collection looks very Valentino. I wish Maria would continue sports theme in the collectione, but that was it...

Oh wow, my thoughts exactly! I don't know why I had such high hopes. Dior's team could have presented a far better collection than this.

I have to agree with you there! I actually liked the direction they were taking especially with their last couture collection. This one seems rather regressive IMO.

Severely underwhelmed but not really disappointed.

There are nice ideas here and there, it could have gone a better not than it did had they focused on which idea to really center the collection on. The fencing uniform concept that started the show would have been an interesting debut had it been present all throughout the collection, but I didn't even see one spec of Dior in any of those beginning outfits. Some were even downright tragic and unnecessary, and it's a shame cause those outfits could have carried the collection from becoming a rehash of what she has done in Valentino. The Red Valentino Heart logo is just inexcusable! It's interesting to note, however, that while Raf made the Dior woman young, Maria Grazia just made her younger.

I just find it a slap on the face to both Pierpaolo and Maison Valentino that she took this specific aesthetic and brought it to Dior without even making any effort to try to differentiate itself from the original house. I don't think Pierpaolo would (nor should he after this show) continue this aesthetic in his solo debut because it would be embarrassing and be a colossal problem if two major Paris Haute Couture houses, both with legendary histories and unbelievable archives, have the same aesthetic in one period!

After watching that show, there's only one redeeming factor I can get from this: romanticism has returned to Dior!
... I just hope it will be completely different next time!

Wow, looks like the second part has some Gucci in it too.
& no, the Dior teams collection was not good either. I can't believe the bar has been set so low that you guys would say this. LOL!

Man, I really wanted to love this. It's definitely well made, the dresses are pretty and even though it does look a Valentino collection, I still see a little Dior in it.
It's not what I expected at all, the debut needed to be stronger, this is not a revolution and it's not exciting at all. I don't think we should throw her under the bus yet, she's a talented designer. I hope she finds her place in the house and actually deliver a stronger collection next season, I have faith!

Wow, looks like the second part has some Gucci in it too.
& no, the Dior teams collection was not good either. I can't believe the bar has been set so low that you guys would say this. LOL!

The "L'amour...etc" thing!
So true. A very product oriented collection. A good instagram-able t-shirt with a message "all the women should be feminist", sneakers (because it sells), the boring Valentino tent dresses that are unflattering on most women but they will wear it no matter what, the Gucci sweater and dresses that are on every magazines...etc.

This is a collection based on the top 10 selling pieces on Net-A-Porter. Period!

Gaytten was bad, Simons was bad, the swiss duo as bad, she is boring with the potential of turning bad!

Thank god they have Rihanna and their sunglasses line.

I personally like what Raf did at Dior, but understand why it divided opinions all the same.
Now... I don't even understand why anyone likes it. Genuinely tragic.

I look at it and it throws me back to the 2000s so because of that, I kinda like it. The Valentino inspi dresses were so unnecesary though ...
I never liked Raf´s work but at least he had a distinct vision. This is like a mix of different houses into one collection.

You have to love the irony of thinking "it can't get any worse" and magically it always does. First, you have Raf, then the Dior team and now Maria Grazia and every time you have hope that it's going to get better but it always gets worse.

The Red Valentino comparison is spot on. I know Dior's image is stuffy and outdated and they want to change that with their ambassadors and the social media outlets and everything but they've got to strike a balance between a modern image and the Dior heritage and clientele. I don't think a logo t-shirt is something Dior's clientele would expect to find in a Dior boutique (at least not in 2016). It's a desperate attempt to latch onto the zeitgeist and in the process you've managed to lose yourself and alienate your core clients.

I hope she'll bring some sense of refinement come January. Till then, I will probably have forgotten what 90% of this looks like.

Well that was a whole lot of nothing. I don't care much for Valentino but I did expect more than this from Maria. This is yearning so hard to be cool and what is thought to be young - the logoed straps, slider slippers, unfinished denim hems, chokers - I am surprised she did not throw in some Stan Smiths and baseball hats. It was as if a young NY designer decided to take on current Valentino. It is not ugly but it is neither exciting or fresh. I also expected better/more accessories given her record. She did bring her casting habits with her though, 10 non-white girls out of the 63. This collection definitely did not deserve the standing ovation she recieved.

Well if there is anyone thrilled by this it will be Jennifer Lawrence, never got the idea that she enjoyed wearing Raf's designs :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cg1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->