Christopher Kane S/S 11 London

Isn't it a bit obvious that, if you do Old English Lady that you also do neon to clash and bring youth and fun?
There are some nice dresses, especially with the pleats going diagonally on the chest, like armour, and of course, at the end, where it becomes more like ceremonial costume.
It's pretty when it could easily have been absolutely hideous.

Style.com blurb

LONDON, September 20, 2010
By Tim Blanks
Wasn't it only yesterday that we were in Princess Margaret's apartment in Kensington Palace for the Acne show? She was the Rihanna of her day, the good girl gone bad, and clearly she's struck a chord for Spring 2011, because today Christopher Kane was name-checking this royal muse.

"Super-sophisticated," he called her. His sister Tammy nailed the essence of the latest Kane collection as "Princess Margaret on acid." A more contemporary spin, and a drug more relevant to the lurid fabulousness of the clothes, might be Margaret on meow-meow (a.k.a. cheapo ecstasy substitute mephedrone). An opening passage of fluoro lace was actually perforated leather with a vinyl coating, to make it "pleather-esque," Kane said. The notion of converting something as organic as an animal hide into a synthetic looky-likey hints at the twisted soul of Kane's work. This time, he had in mind the Cyberdog crew in Camden Market, pop pioneers of fluoro fashion. "Neon gets me going," he declared. "Every other color is so banal." But imagine neon in a pintucked dress in dotted tulle. Or picture the same eye-searing shades in a princess-worthy jacket, blouse, and box-pleated skirt falling to just below the knee, the most sensible length known to womankind.

The queen's designer, Norman Hartnell, was a reference point, except that he never worked in pleather. And it's highly unlikely he ever had much to do with the yakuza, the Japanese gangsters whose tattoos provided Kane's print motifs (in a twinset, of all things). The whole package—classic substance, futuristic surface, tribal interruption—had something of Blade Runner about it, but Kane resisted the association. "Cyberdog," he insisted. Either way, we were looking at a very particular and uncompromising vision of the future.
style.com

I really loved the neon part of this collection. I love these sorts of classic shapes and it's awesome that they're making a comeback but in an updated, quirky way. I wasn't a huge fan of the prints, but I loved the shapes and the neon.

BRILLIANT, I'm a die hard fan of shockingly bright and pastel colors. And he just gives me my drug fix for the season. :heart: :heart:

overall, i think it looks rather awful. last season was so good, this season...i just dont know. despite the bright neon colors, the shape of the clothing plus the shoes just seems "old" to me. perhaps the styling has too much neon on neon and lace on lace and went overboard. if just take a neon lace jacket and pair it with a plain little black dress might not look as bad.

at least, i like one japanese tattoo dress with pink stripes on the bodice.

"princess margaret on acid" - love this.
i wasn't sure until i saw the collection in motion, and i'm not going "i want it all" about it as i usually do with kane, but it's good. i always love how he combines the colours, prints and fabrics.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm convinced that christopher kane ran into jack mccullough and lazaro hernandez at a lower east side dive bar and cooked up this trend with them over too many cocktails. and i love that. as the proenza boys commented at their show (during the video.style.com interview), there's something subversive and rebellious about the suit now. every girl has a ripped tee and cut off jeans. every girl has a dress of every iteration -- party, cocktail, mini-, maxi-, et al -- but it takes something of a fashion stalwart to wear a suit these days and not look like a chanel victim.

overlooking those oddly placed argyle sweaters, this collection continues the trend line from the the leather-and-lace idea proposed last season, but recalls the very first neon lace collection we saw from christopher kane in the first place. however, prolific designer that he is, i love that he moved the needle even further by incorporating daring prints with those neons in both separates and dresses toward the end.

00300h.jpg

style.it

The interesting part for me is that the cuts and the length of the dresses wouldn't be flattering at all for young women but I can't see this collection in anyone but them.

More neon brights. It really is quite the thing.

And Kane's highlighter pen shades were really quite some of the most delightfully violent brights I've seen yet.

Deconstruction of British heritage is of course a well trodden path - McQueen, Westwood, Luella, etc - but nevertheless Kane seemed to have something fresh to contribute.

I liked the pleather, the construction and the details. The prints later, at a distance, evoked, for me, peacocks. Which works.

I just wonder if Kane is a bit of a 'neat' and controlled designer to really get fully to the edge of this trend and for that reason, successful as this collection is, I may well end up prefering the additional grunginess that came with Giles Deacon's version.

I must now have a look at Proenza Schouler. I'm starting to imagine some neon editorials that will make the eyes bleed.

love the colours and the dresses
I have no idea why those bright beautiful skirts were paired with those hideous sweaters though

Christopher Kane SS11 (Clothing)
US Vogue January 2011
Arch Rivals
Photographer: Raymond Meier
Fashion Editor: Elissa Santisi
Model: Joan Smalls

scanned by missbluejean

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member