Clarisonic or other Facial Skincare Brushes

I am quite envious! I bought mine (Mia one) right before they went on sale :angry: It was 149 then and is only 119. If I had researched before, I'd wait and buy Mia 2 too.
Aww, bummer! I hate it when that happens! I'm sure the quality is the same though, it's just without with one or two bells and whistles that they just added (as far as I know).

I think I really need to get a Clarisonic brush...Think I may ask for it for Christmas hahah.

^I really wanted one earlier in the year and waited for one of Sephora's sales.

I've had my Clarisonic Mia for 7 months now, and I still love it. But I probably would have waited for the Mia 2 had I known about it :lol: Oh well, couldn't have predicted that.

What's the difference between Mia 1 and 2?

I think the only difference is that it has 2 speed settings instead of one. NOt a huge difference really, I have a clarisonic classic and never change the speed settings anyway.

It's truly an amazing product though...there really is a difference in my skin when I don't use it.

been using it for a while now and i can def see a difference in my pores (which is my problem area). i have oily skin, so i have a problem with enlarged pores and such, and i feel like it really helps cleaning out my impurities deep, and not just on the surface.

Which one do you have? Mia 1 or 2? I realized that if I buy it from US, I'm gonna spend so much on taxes.:doh:

mia 1 =) i believe i got it from lookfantastic.com (if i remember it correctly)

^Thanks. I like that they ship free worldwide.:D

I got Clarisonic Mia for Christmas and it's charging right now. Can't wait to try it out. :woot:How much time does it take to see some results? 2, 3 weeks?

Deep Cleaning Faces at the Speed of Sound

You've heard of the sonic toothbrush. Now meet the sonic facial brush, which makers say oscillates so fast it shakes the dirt loose from pores.
Some dermatologists say the sonic brushes vibrate super fast, which makes them better at shaking loose dirt than face washing with hands or manual facial brushes. The sonic brushes help get rid of blackheads and improves appearance of skin, they say. While the brushes give off sound waves, there isn't yet clear evidence the sound helps with cleaning.
PJ-BE427_ACHES_DV_20111226153542.jpg
F. Martin Ramin for The Wall Street Journal The Clarisonic brush, pictured, and the Nutra Sonic, right, use super-fast vibrations to shake lose dirt caught in facial pores.

A sonic brush "really vibrates the dirt out of the skin and it doesn't cause irritation," says Tina Alster, director of the Washington Institute of Dermatologic Laser Surgery in Washington, D.C. Dr. Alster has served as an unpaid member of the medical advisory board of one brush maker, Pacific Bioscience Laboratories Inc., Redmond, Wash., but has no financial link to the company.
Adds Bruce Katz, clinical professor of dermatology at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York, "it is particularly useful for people who have blackheads and whiteheads."
The Clarisonic brush head oscillates at more than 300 times a second, says Ken Pilcher, co-founder of Pacific Bioscience, which was acquired earlier this month by L'Oréal SA. The company claims its brush cleans six times better than hand washing, makes pores look smaller and generally makes skin look better. The Clarisonic ranges in cost from $119 for the small, travel-size Mia to $225 for the deluxe Plus model, which includes a larger body brush.
PJ-BE428_ACHES_DV_20111226153709.jpg
F. Martin Ramin for The Wall Street Journal The Nutra Sonic brush

A less-expensive option is the Nutra Sonic sold by Nutra Luxe MD LLC of Fort Myers, Fla., oscillates about 300 times a second, according to company president, Peter von Berg. The brush ranges from $79 to $159, depending on the model. Both the Nutra Sonic and the Clarisonic are rechargeable.
In an abstract published in 2007 in the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, a company-funded, 10-person study found the Clarisonic was "significantly more effective" in removing makeup than using soap and fingers. The study used fluorescent makeup on subjects' faces, which were then cleaned by a technician using a Clarisonic for half the face and just fingers for the other half; a mild cleanser was used on both sides. The study measured the amount of pixels of fluorescence remaining after cleaning. Pacific Bioscience says the results translate to six times more makeup being removed.
There are currently no published studies on the Nutra Sonic.
I tried the Clarisonic for a week, washing half my face with the brush and the other half with a washcloth for 30 seconds each, using a mild cleanser on both sides. By the second use, my pores looked noticeably smaller on the Clarisonic side on close inspection. By the end of a week, the Clarisonic side felt smoother to the touch than the washcloth side.
A number of electric facial brushes without a sonic feature are popping up on store shelves and claim to offer deep-cleaning benefits. The Olay Professional Pro-X from Procter & Gamble Co., which costs about $30, has a battery-powered brush head that makes about five or six rotations a second, according to P&G. Its unpublished internal tests have found the brush is six times more effective than cleaning using hands, the company says.
The electric brushes get mixed reviews from dermatologists. Dr. Alster says she is concerned the rotating motion is more likely to grind dirt into the skin and create tiny "microcuts," which could serve as a portal for bacteria.
Dr. Katz says the electric brushes or even small manual brushes are fine "as long as you don't do it too vigorously." But he says they are likely not as good as the sonic ones at dislodging dirt.
P&G says it did a "torture test" of the Pro-X involving using the device with a harsh cleanser, at the highest-speed setting for up to two minutes, twice a day for a month on 62 women. There was no evidence of facial cuts, infections, redness or irritation, the company says. P&G recommends using its brush daily for just a minute with a mild cleanser. Laura Joannes - wsj.com

Last edited by a moderator:
For those of you trying to decide between the Mia and Mia 2, I would go with the original Mia (that is, unless you're very much attached to the idea of having the newest model). I've only ever used the regular setting and it's not hard to count in your head. :P
I personally don't think that the upgrade is worth the extra money.

I got Clarisonic Mia for Christmas and it's charging right now. Can't wait to try it out. :woot:How much time does it take to see some results? 2, 3 weeks?

I noticed a difference in my skin after about a week. My skin is sensitive and dry, though and with very little acne. I tend to have a problem with clogged pores because of the dryness, so the added exfoliation really helped my skin glow. I used to get breakouts around that time of the month, and I've noticed that those have been greatly reduced (and some months they are non-existent) since I started using it. I saw that change rapidly.

I am still trying to find the best cleanser to use with it. I wasn't a fan of the cleanser that came with it, and my Clarins Shea Butter Foaming Cleanser is a bit too thick and gunks up the brush. Most of the gel/foaming cleansers are too harsh for my skin, so if your skin tends toward dryness, you may have trouble finding a good lightweight cleanser. But, overall, the results for me were rapid. After one week, my skin had more brightness, it appeared more clean, and it absorbed products better.

^ I already see some improvements! My skin is softer and cleaner. I have less blackheads and also less dry skin patches. It's definitely worth the money.:heart:

Ok, so i'm seriously thinking about buying Mia 2, but i have some questions. First does it make the beep sound when you have to change areas like the classic? And also how do you clean the brush? For how long do you use the same brush? Shoudl i buy extra brushes? And also mia 2 comes with the sensitive brush right?

Thank you in advance!

Ok, so i'm seriously thinking about buying Mia 2, but i have some questions. First does it make the beep sound when you have to change areas like the classic? And also how do you clean the brush? For how long do you use the same brush? Shoudl i buy extra brushes? And also mia 2 comes with the sensitive brush right?

Thank you in advance!

I'm sure that you've already been able to research this, but this thread deserves a bump anyways...
Yes, then Mia 2 beeps when you need to change areas. Mine came with the sensitive brush head, but I'm not sure if it varies based on which colour system you buy (I have the pink one). It is recommend that you change the brush heads at least every three months (some people do two months). I rinse my brush thoroughly with soap and let it air-dry between uses. To prevent tons of bacteria build-up, I would recommend storing the clarisonic in a dry place (I keep it in the cupboard on a tea towel, lying sideways) rather than somewhere damp, like the shower/bath.

I have been having difficulty with clogged pores, enlarged pores, and oily skin. All of the various products I've tried, from salicylic acid, to glycolic acid, to benzoyl peroxide have been varying degrees of ineffective. Will the Clarisonic help at all, and what sort of cleanser should I use with it if I do get one?

On the subject of face brushes I was in two minds if I wanted to spring for the Clarisonic as I have freakishly sensitive skin and wasn't sure if I would get any real use out of it, so I found the Boots dupe first. I have to say, I love it so far and my skin just feels amazing.
tumblr_mhm1iv8Tv01qdcqiuo1_1280.png
Source - mine. It does (as far as I'm aware) what the Clarisonic does for a fraction of the price, I might splurge on it one day, but for right now I'm so happy with my No.7 :blush:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'm going to get the Olay Pro X brush tomorrow. I'll try it first to see if it does anything before shelling out massive dollars on a Clarisonic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->