College Style

Wow, CoffeeandPearls, I love those pics. So old school prep!

Question to the college students, especially those on a budget- what approach have you taken for school shopping? Do you buy cheaper stuff from Forever 21/H&M, etc and try to make it last the year, or do you prefer saving up for two or three "classic" but expensive pieces?

i sometimes visit H&M, bc sometimes they have nice stuff. mostly scarves and such.
I usually shop at Topman, Zara, JCrew, and sometimes i save up and shop at other stores like Mango, Marc by Marc Jacobs, & Co-Op; but that's only like a few times a year. :(

I just visited my uni's campus today (its the first time I've been back to visit since I was accepted this spring) and while most of the students are gone for the summer it was interesting to see what the students who were left on campus were wearing. Lets just say it involved a lot of brown and orange (my school colors), sweatshirts, and school logo shirts. Although their were a few standout outfits, I saw one girl wearing mixed prints with raybans, and rocking the trend quite well (much better then I ever could, mixed prints just do not suit me at all). Also one of the guys who I saw was wearing a cool graphic tee with a pair of nice jeans. I know, its probably not the most original outfit, but it looked really good. I can't wait for the official start of school, it will be interesting to see if these trends which I saw will continue to persist (I have a feeling they will...).

CoffeeAndPearls, I hate to say it but these photographs deffently added to the illusion that is Cornell and quite frankly it doesn't surprise me. I have a friend who is starting at the Cornell soon and now I have to warn him not to get caught up in the look of Ivy Prepsters! :smile:
I am going to technology based school so I highly doubt that very few of the students will dress well, besides, the majority of the school is made up of guys. When I visited the campus much of what I saw is your typical college looks; Uggs, polos, weird shirt slogans (many of them referancing video games and such), sweats, ect. Oh well, its not always about what the students are wearing but more importantly it is about the education and opprotunites to grow. :smile:

haha he should be alright finding a good amount of people who dress just like him. as you said, much of what is on campus is typical college wear, and there are various other niche groups who dress with a particular style. the preppy look is just one of these niches. though i do know a few people who have become good friends with people who dress a certain way and have definitely altered their style to fit this look, it isn't very common. being such a large school its quite easy to find people who you fit in with just as you are.
but Cornell does offer a fantastic education with a lot of opportunities! we have the weirdest most random majors here haha :smile:

Wow, CoffeeandPearls, I love those pics. So old school prep!

Question to the college students, especially those on a budget- what approach have you taken for school shopping? Do you buy cheaper stuff from Forever 21/H&M, etc and try to make it last the year, or do you prefer saving up for two or three "classic" but expensive pieces?

personally i tend to do both. I have a few more expensive pieces that I wear often--frye boots, designer jeans, etc. but i tend to pair them with stuff from stores like F21 (usually jewelry), H&M (great unique pieces+cheap basics), American Apparel (good quality basics), Urban Outfitters, etc. I would never/rarely spend a lot of money on trendy items, but if its something I'll wear constantly for a long time then it is definitely worth the investment (/I ask for it as a birthday or christmas gift haha).

Last edited by a moderator:
CoffeeandPerals, I think he will fit in well at Cornell, he actually tends to dress preppy in someways but he doesn't strike me as someone to dress head-to-toe like that. You made a good point, their are many different looks and you just have to find the right one for you. Besides, its not all about the clothes its whats on the inside that counts (even if this is often over said).

You guys make me wish my university was stylish! I hate it that in summer all I see are booty shorts, flip flops and tank tops. I guess that's what UTEP is all about :(

a bit more cornell fashion

39191_419411705705_501745705_5279491_7459742_n.jpg

9325_161613960705_501745705_3273567_1593445_n.jpg

24490_383768075705_501745705_4340758_5793958_n.jpg

30270_436659657003_506487003_5532869_2683116_n.jpg

19134_335491942003_506487003_4838887_1527639_n.jpg

25899_1278514642660_1223820071_30791133_1776983_n.jpg

the cornell fashion is expected... but i soo like it.

the problem in my neck of the woods is that stores like Zara or Banana Republic are considered the epicenter for male fashion. So you have everyone decked out in A&F/Hollister or you have everyone wearing the same thing from Zara, (remember we have no H&M in Texas). There is really no in between unless you count the people wearing Lacoste who are from Mexico.

for me, thrift stores, outlet stores and recently, eBay, are providing some sort of comfort. I also think I need to purchase at least one or two designer items, most likely accessories, to spruce up my closet. (Those McQueen scarves would be a guilty pleasure for the upcoming fall/winter)

Can we please revive this thread back? :smile: I'm from Canada- burning summers and freezing winters, (although the weather atm is PERFECT).

There is such a range of style at my campus- from hipster, to rock, to nouveau-riche, to pretty, to casual (to put it gently.. haha), and definitely some very stylish girls. One of my classmates is actually a style inspiration of mine. She is 5'3 but wears Prada brogues and leather jackets better than anyone I've seen from fashion week/streetstyle photos.

I do personally despise anyone who wears open flip flops, thong sandals, or any type of open-toe shoe (other than a small peeptoe) in general .. especially when they get too comfortable and play with them in the library. Gross.

The closest I've got to " college style " is my favourite winter going out ensemble of cashmere poloneck ( in either black, oatmeal, tan or charcoal grey ), tweed jacket and dark slacks.

...It's more " college professor " style :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->