colors vs. neutrals

cbcb

Reaction score
In kind of checking people out over the past few days, it occurs to me that some people just get lost in brights or other 'colors' - it sort of overpowers them and dilutes their potential look. Others come alive in them.

Anyone figured out whether colors v. neutrals are better for themselves, or general guidelines (beyond color 'seasons')? The idea for this was spurred by seeing two pix of Angelina Jolie in a taupey beige and just being amazed that anyone could make that color look hot. Skin tone's no doubt part of the mix... maybe I haven't found my best beige yet (pale w/pink undertones, dark, cool hair, light eyes).

I've seen A.J. in some brights and while she still looks hot in them, they don't (to me) maximize her look.

So what are your general color faves and do they lean toward neutral or 'colors'? This is a particularly crucial topic as we head into the spring/summer months and I can (probably) no longer get away with dark black, mid-black and an occasional light black. :ninja:

I own more neutral colors because they're easy to mix with other stuff. I don't wear that much brights, though I've been adding some to my wardrobe lately.

I usually wear one bright garment and rest neutrals. I think it's better to wear the bright item closer to your face, for example beige trousers and turqoise top.

I don't look that good in pastels (I have light olive skin) so when buying brights I opt for deeper tones. For summer I use the same colors just in lighter fabrics.

Oh, and I think that combining black with bright colours makes the black look boring and the colours look cheap.

Petite Coquette said:
Oh, and I think that combining black with bright colours makes the black look boring and the colours look cheap.

That's a great point. I think I've probably always agreed, but never fully formed the thought. Helpful point to keep in mind! Thanks.

my whole wardrobe is "neutral" and earth tone different shades of brown, if i wear colors, they're very muted
bold colors are alienating and yellow only belongs on piss

I prefer prints and colour. I'm a pale British girl, so neutrals tend to wash me out.

I'm very pale too so wearing nude / earth shades makes me look washed out and drab too. I like solids especially dark colours. I've been told that red looks damned good on me and it took me a while to get used to the idea but now it's one of my faves.

Since my style is so minimal I have to have a punch of color to lively up my look. Although I feel safest in all neutrals it doesn't look so hot on my golden complexion.

I can't really wear them...I'm very pale, so neutrals tend to look grotesque with my skintone. though I did find a tan cardi at h&m recently that surprisingly looks really good with my colouring. I still have to balance it with a colour though, like a bright scarf or something.

I think I have a good mix of neutral and bright colours in my wardrobe , people always telling me that bright colours (like a really red, turqoise or green ) look good on me because I have black hair. I like bright shirts with printed designs much combine with jeans :-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rearjepaj
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->