Culottes

thx for the pics nemova...:heart:
and thanks for setting the record straight aobut the whole gaucho thing...
they're baggier than i imagined...

i would wear them...but i'd leave the bottom button open and wear them over the boots...
johnny depp would look hot in that 2nd folkloric costume...or orlando bloom...but i can see that they could be pretty unattractive too...LOL...

pic from f/w 05 show in LA...
Rebecca Beeson...

roland mouret a/w 2002
pulled this out of another older thread here..:heart:

i think you've succeeded, softgrey...everyone's in them now!

dior spring 2005...

6583_feature_shot.jpg

00150f.jpg

I think the ones brian posted are too long to be culottes...aren't those called "clamdiggers?"

Softgrey - i totally agree with you, not everyone knows how to style some clothes, or what to wear them with. I like the cullottes and bought 2 pairs in Jan, i havent worn them yet, as i cant stand feeling cold, so i'll wear them when it gets a bit warmer. I think i'll wear them with my high-heeled sandals:heart:

TheSoCalledPrep said:
from eBay... the girl kinda reminds me of softie, but not quite as chic..

OT-how strange to stand in front of a flowered sheet...
if you're going to hang a sheet as a backdrop...it should be a solid colour...and you shouldn't see the edges of it...very humourous... :D

i hope and pray i do it better than this... ^_^ :ninja:

droogist said:
I think the ones brian posted are too long to be culottes...aren't those called "clamdiggers?"
i would agree that those aren't really 'culottes'...mostly because they don't do the A-line...

i haven't heard the term 'clamdiggers' in YEARS... :woot: :lol:
i used to call capris and clamdiggers the same thing i think...i don't even really remember...i just know that clamdiggers were cropped...

maybe capris were a tighter fit and clamdiggers were looser?...
and maybe capris come mid calf while clamdiggers are just above the ankle?...

that sounds right to me...

good one droogist!!!

:lol: :wink:

no I think capri's come just below the knee or mid-calf and are looser whereas clamdiggers are mid-calf but tighter...i always considered them to be tighter...just above the ankle I consider to be cropped pants or waders. just my two cents :flower:

capris are definitley tight....
the term comes from how the 1950's sex symbols etc used to dress on the isle of capri...in italy...audrey hepburn, brigite bardot, catherine deneuve, sophia loren...etc...

something like this but mid-calf...my mom used to dress like this...and she always called them capris...
i still think that capris and clamdiggers are basically the same...:lol:
i've never heard the term 'waders'..but i like it... B) :heart:

softgrey said:
just for refernece...here are the same culottes that jenny whatever-her-name-is is wearing...
they are marc by marc...and she has no clue how to wear them... :rolleyes: :ninja:

helena...the movie is called 'the eyes of laura mars...'
she wore culottes because it was sexier than pants and she could still move around in them...here's a film still...wish i could find a better one... :flower:
the costume designer won an oscar for that film i believe... :heart:

Soft, the costume designer Theoni V. Aldredge did the costume design for Eyes of Laura Mars but didn't win an Oscar (she won an Oscar for Best Costume Design for the Great Gatsby). She did win a Saturn Award from The Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror Films for her costumes in Eyes of Laura Mars. :flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
softgrey said:
capris are definitley tight....
the term comes from how the 1950's sex symbols etc used to dress on the isle of capri...in italy...audrey hepburn, brigite bardot, catherine deneuve, sophia loren...etc...

something like this but mid-calf...my mom used to dress like this...and she always called them capris...
i still think that capris and clamdiggers are basically the same...:lol:
i've never heard the term 'waders'..but i like it... B) :heart:

Ack, capri pants! Surely the most unflattering garment ever devised. They were everywhere in NYC for one summer several years ago...maybe 1998? I had a summer job in a store in Soho then, and on a slow day my co-workers and I tallied up the number of women passing before the shop window wearing capris...I swear we got into the double digits before someone wearing actual normal trousers passed by. :yuk:

Softgrey is right, capri pants are definitely tight. After doing a little research, I now believe that capris and clandiggers are the same length (mid-calf), but clamdiggers fit more loosely.

I thought waders were thigh-high rubber fisherman's boots...?

they might be but my dad also calls any pants that are like slightly above ankle waders because you can wade through water in them.

Culottes! Noooo! Not on a 5'2 and chunky of leg -type like me.
Say it isn't so...

droogist said:
Ack, capri pants! Surely the most unflattering garment ever devised. They were everywhere in NYC for one summer several years ago...maybe 1998? I had a summer job in a store in Soho then, and on a slow day my co-workers and I tallied up the number of women passing before the shop window wearing capris...I swear we got into the double digits before someone wearing actual normal trousers passed by. :yuk:

Softgrey is right, capri pants are definitely tight. After doing a little research, I now believe that capris and clandiggers are the same length (mid-calf), but clamdiggers fit more loosely.

I thought waders were thigh-high rubber fisherman's boots...?

yeah i think it was around 97-98.
by the way are pedal pushers = capris? :huh:

*Happiness* said:
Soft, the costume designer Theoni V. Aldredge did the costume design for Eyes of Laura Mars but didn't win an Oscar (she won an Oscar for Best Costume Design for the Great Gatsby). She did win a Saturn Award from The Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror Films for her costumes in Eyes of Laura Mars. :flower:

thanks for the info happiness... :heart: :flower:

and i have to apologize now droogist...
i was probably one of those people... :lol: ...i love capris...and have always worn them...still do...
i actually find that cropped pants make me look taller... :innocent:

culottes from girlshop.com...

Culotte
Just like the Mary Quant ones your mamma wore with her favorite Beatle boots, these dapper culottes from Harvey's are all about swinging ‘60s Pop Art details. Featuring two asymmetrical pockets on the front and retro-inspired tailoring, these wool/acrylic/poly short pants have a 16" inseam, silky interior lining, hidden side zipper and wide hip-hugging waistband. Made in the USA*$155.00

Last edited by a moderator:
cloud9 said:
yeah i think it was around 97-98.
by the way are pedal pushers = capris? :huh:
as far as i was taught...
they are basically the same...but pedal pushers are a bit shorter...they usually come just below the knee...and were more of a US trend from the 1950's...

but practically the same thing... :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->