Daniel Lee - Designer, Creative Director of Burberry

You know how I’ve always hated the « intellectuals » term. Beyond the fact that I don’t consider Daniel and all the Phoebe school that way, I’m actually curious…How are called the other ones… »The dumbs »? And if so, who are the designers considered « dumbs »?
I like Phoebe Philo and don't hate that school at all, just...Daniel Lee :aliens:.

Marc Jacobs, I can't remember from when/where/ which interview but he said he likes to dumb things down. And Olivier Rizzo describes the Prada brand as 'purposely dumb' in a really really old interview
Hmm…So Olivier Rizzo used the dumb word to flip it in a way in which people would understand that Prada is so intelligent that it’s purposely dumb = intellectual?

I believe in cerebral fashion and or versus instinctive fashion. Because every fashion is informed by what’s going on in the world and it’s all a matter of POV (And the POV is what’s constitute a person and can be described as the taste), for me it’s difficult to say « oh! It’s intellectual ».

For me Gianni Versace and Giorgio Armani are similar as designers in essence. Their fashion was very instinctive. CDG is cerebral because the intention can go beyond dressing a world. Some walk a line in between. I think with Prada, it’s the contrasts and also the fact that she made collections about things she hated.

Yves and Karl are very different as designers. Yves was instinctive and Karl was more cerebral. Both made collections inspired by artists. Yves took paintings and made them
Into clothes and when Karl did a collection inspired by Magritte, he made cage hats….

I feel like people used the world intellectual in fashion to associate it to people they fantasize wearing those clothes. I have been around quite a few architect, I’ve seen them in Chanel or even Balmain. Women do loved Celine but I’ve never seen them wearing Prada like that….And that’s when they even care that much about their clothes.

Wasn’t the “traditional” burberry getting a little tired? Just a bit? Not to say this latest is fantastic but just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avann
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->