Demna Gvasalia - Designer, Creative Director of Balenciaga

Is it new to me or I may have missed a collection, but I have just noticed that all of their new clothes are non-branded ? I mean the latest womens and mens RTW arrivals (after the Adidas collab), there are absolutely no logo nor monogram, to be seen. It this their marketing response: erasing all the large BALENCIAGA and BB which used to be everywhere and on every piece ?

I didn't get that impression. I'd say a good 95% of their cut and sew is still pretty branded.

And then there are these lovely gems currently available....
Medium-725390TNL899040_G.jpg Medium-704372TMR681070_HR.jpg Medium-681050TML201240_G.jpg

I don't think there was any time for them to make changes to products that are already in stores or even those ordered for spring.

At best they can redesign fall and winter if they feel the need to.

Balenciaga Scandal Seen Contributing to ‘Bad as It Gets’ Q4 for Kering

Miles Socha / Fri, January 6, 2023

Balenciaga’s ad scandal stifled the brand’s “hyper growth mode,” notably in the U.S. and U.K., meaning fourth-quarter results for French luxury group Kering “could be as bad as it gets,” according to an equity research report from HSBC released Thursday.

The bank also cited slowing momentum in China and the U.S. and a “tough basis of comparison” as additional factors likely to have dented Kering’s revenues during the crucial holiday season.

It forecasts Q4 revenues, due out on Feb. 15, will slip 3.1 percent in organic terms, reflecting a 12.5 percent dip at Gucci and an 8 percent improvement in “other brands,” which include Balenciaga, Alexander McQueen, Boucheron, Brioni, Pomellato and Queelin.

Still, the report, titled “Leave Your Troubles Behind,” suggests that the worst at Balenciaga is “likely behind us” and that Gucci is likely to do better in 2023, despite the exit of creative director Alessandro Michele, who helped take the Italian brand from 3.9 billion euros in 2015 to 9.7 billion euros in 2019.

His successor has yet to be named.

“It appears that management is starting to address the issues faced by the Gucci brand,” the report said. “The commitment to spend more in terms of advertising, combined with a stronger team in mainland China as well as in merchandising should help the brand converge towards peers’ sales growth regardless of the fact it will be in a transition period.”

Balenciaga represented about 10 percent of Kering’s 2021 group sales, versus 55 percent for Gucci, 14 percent for Saint Laurent, and 8 percent for Bottega Veneta, according to HSBC charts tabulating company data.

HSBC also cut its earnings-before-interest-and-taxes estimates for Kering by an average of 4 percent “for FY22-24 as we have taken into account a slightly less favourable FX set-up, the consequences on sales of the recent Balenciaga advertising scandal and a tougher situation in mainland China overall than previously anticipated.”

Among downside risks are COVID-19 leading to delays in tourism-related spending and “longer-term pain at Balenciaga from the recent PR problems.”

Last November two Balenciaga campaigns triggered outrage that engulfed the French fashion house, photographers, creatives and even longtime collaborator Kim Kardashian.

One featured children posing alongside a variety of items, including logo beer glasses and handbags shaped like teddy bears dressed in bondage gear. Another fashion campaign, depicting actresses Nicole Kidman and Isabelle Huppert in business attire, included a closeup of a handbag resting on a page from the 2008 Supreme Court ruling “United States v. Williams,” which confirmed the promotion of child p*rn*gr*phy as illegal and not protected by freedom of speech.

By Nov. 23, Balenciaga pulled both campaigns from all platforms, apologized for any offense it caused and pointed the finger of blame at external production companies.

After a mounting backlash, Balenciaga on Nov. 28 publicly condemned child abuse and took full responsibility for the controversies surrounding the two campaigns, a day after Kardashian said on Nov. 27 that she was “reevaluating” her relationship with the brand, writing that she was “shaken by the disturbing images.”

Creative director Demna and chief executive officer Cédric Charbit issued further apologies on Instagram on Dec. 2, along with vows to change Balenciaga’s “content organization” and “help make a difference in protecting children.” The company also dropped its legal action against production company North Six Inc. and set designer Nicolas des Jardins.
WWD

Full article:
Balenciaga Scandal Seen Contributing to ‘Bad as It Gets’ Q4 for Kering
An HSBC report argues that the worst at Balenciaga and Gucci is "likely behind us."

By MILES SOCHA
JANUARY 5, 2023, 10:43AM

Balenciaga’s ad scandal stifled the brand’s “hyper growth mode,” notably in the U.S. and U.K., meaning fourth-quarter results for French luxury group Kering “could be as bad as it gets,” according to an equity research report from HSBC released Thursday.

The bank also cited slowing momentum in China and the U.S. and a “tough basis of comparison” as additional factors likely to have dented Kering’s revenues during the crucial holiday season.

It forecasts Q4 revenues, due out on Feb. 15, will slip 3.1 percent in organic terms, reflecting a 12.5 percent dip at Gucci and an 8 percent improvement in “other brands,” which include Balenciaga, Alexander McQueen, Boucheron, Brioni, Pomellato and Queelin.

Still, the report, titled “Leave Your Troubles Behind,” suggests that the worst at Balenciaga is “likely behind us” and that Gucci is likely to do better in 2023, despite the exit of creative director Alessandro Michele, who helped take the Italian brand from 3.9 billion euros in 2015 to 9.7 billion euros in 2019.

His successor has yet to be named.

“It appears that management is starting to address the issues faced by the Gucci brand,” the report said. “The commitment to spend more in terms of advertising, combined with a stronger team in mainland China as well as in merchandising should help the brand converge towards peers’ sales growth regardless of the fact it will be in a transition period.”

Balenciaga represented about 10 percent of Kering’s 2021 group sales, versus 55 percent for Gucci, 14 percent for Saint Laurent, and 8 percent for Bottega Veneta, according to HSBC charts tabulating company data.

HSBC also cut its earnings-before-interest-and-taxes estimates for Kering by an average of 4 percent “for FY22-24 as we have taken into account a slightly less favourable FX set-up, the consequences on sales of the recent Balenciaga advertising scandal and a tougher situation in mainland China overall than previously anticipated.”

Among downside risks are COVID-19 leading to delays in tourism-related spending and “longer-term pain at Balenciaga from the recent PR problems.”

Last November two Balenciaga campaigns triggered outrage that engulfed the French fashion house, photographers, creatives and even longtime collaborator Kim Kardashian.

One featured children posing alongside a variety of items, including logo beer glasses and handbags shaped like teddy bears dressed in bondage gear. Another fashion campaign, depicting actresses Nicole Kidman and Isabelle Huppert in business attire, included a closeup of a handbag resting on a page from the 2008 Supreme Court ruling “United States v. Williams,” which confirmed the promotion of child p*rn*gr*phy as illegal and not protected by freedom of speech.

By Nov. 23, Balenciaga pulled both campaigns from all platforms, apologized for any offense it caused and pointed the finger of blame at external production companies.

After a mounting backlash, Balenciaga on Nov. 28 publicly condemned child abuse and took full responsibility for the controversies surrounding the two campaigns, a day after Kardashian said on Nov. 27 that she was “reevaluating” her relationship with the brand, writing that she was “shaken by the disturbing images.”

Creative director Demna and chief executive officer Cédric Charbit issued further apologies on Instagram on Dec. 2, along with vows to change Balenciaga’s “content organization” and “help make a difference in protecting children.” The company also dropped its legal action against production company North Six Inc. and set designer Nicolas des Jardins.
Source: WWD

Walked by the Balenciaga store near me today and there were actually a couple people in there. Looked like they were buying stuff. Not as popping as some of the other stores but not totally empty. Also Saks still has a huge Balenciaga section in front with all new stuff. But idk. For me I don't feel interested (or entertained) anymore even though I'm not rele part of the outrage. The vibes are just off. Like an irreversible chemical change. The toast is burnt. It's over. Time for the next *thing*. Altho I'm not gonna totally give up just yet. Waiting to see what happens this PFW

Walked by the Balenciaga store near me today and there were actually a couple people in there. Looked like they were buying stuff. Not as popping as some of the other stores but not totally empty. Also Saks still has a huge Balenciaga section in front with all new stuff. But idk. For me I don't feel interested (or entertained) anymore even though I'm not rele part of the outrage. The vibes are just off. Like an irreversible chemical change. The toast is burnt. It's over. Time for the next *thing*. Altho I'm not gonna totally give up just yet. Waiting to see what happens this PFW

That's how I feel.

They fired Carine Roitfeld after that Paris Vogue scandal. Pinault need to do something about Balenciaga’s reputation

They fired Carine Roitfeld after that Paris Vogue scandal. Pinault need to do something about Balenciaga’s reputation

That's not necessarily why she was fired.

Carine's ego and self-importance is what got her fired.

Ironic since Balenciaga banned Carine’s Paris Vogue from access to anything Balenciaga.
Then she got fired. Time flies
But she got back to Balenciaga right after leaving VP and Emmanuelle was still banned…
It’s a lot more complicated than that. Let’s say that the « scandals » exposed a situation that was getting a bit out of control. I’m not even sure the Balenciaga thing was real…I’ve heard so many versions of that subject.

But yes ego and self importance as @Mutterlein said…To her credit she was important. But she wasn’t irreplaceable and maybe a bit naive too…

And I think in a way to compare this to the Demna issue is a bit different. That’s why in Europe people don’t like to use the word « fired » in fashion because in Carine’s case, she was « let go ». Demna’s public scandal and overall repercussions expected for him to be « fired ».

I guessed it's back to business now.

We live in a world where scandals go extremely hot then extremely cold shortly after. Now waiting for the next 'controversy'

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinnybackstage
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->