Destroyed jeans

Kimkhuu

Reaction score
This trend has been around for a while (or may I even say FOREVER), but I am starting to see more and more people (preppies as well :rolleyes: ) sporting this "classic".

What do you think ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's a bit saturated of a look. I find it annoying too when distressed jeans are sold for like 400 bucks.

Yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck.

Don't get me wrong, I don't cringe when I see punk rockers with their torn up look (well, sometimes), but when I see people wearing a pair of destroyed pants they bought at Saks Fifth Avenue for a few hundred buckeroos, I fight the urge to vomit.

I really am not one to look at something at scoff like "I could do THAT myself", because well, I didn't and someone thought of the idea before me, but this is going too far. I know I thought it was cool to wear torn up jeans when I was like 12 or something, and then I realized it just looks dirty.

There it is folks. It just looks dirty.

Em

PS: Not that I ever see anyone who shops at Saks...I live in Nowhereville PA.

I am sorry to see so many people wearing them, but I was wearing them when it was just a "rock and roll" look and I will continue wearing them after the current trend dies.

^Don't like dirt, eh, miserylovescompany? :P

tangerine said:
I am sorry to see so many people wearing them, but I was wearing them when it was just a "rock and roll" look and I will continue wearing them after the current trend dies.

^Don't like dirt, eh, miserylovescompany? :P

There is no way to describe my hatred for the destroyed jeans trend. It's not even...they never bothered me until they became so...big, and they started being sold at AE and A&F and Hollister. I will admit to have sported some torn jeans, but that's just what they were, normal jeans I had broken in, worn it, played hard in...and they were just torn. Another thing that bothers me about the mass marketing of these "destroyed jeans" is that it doesn't look natural...like "how did you get that tear in the middle of your thigh" unnatural. I will admit...before they got HUGE (which they are around here...well, I don't often see people wear them, but it's hard to find a store that doesn't sell them) I saw a girl wearing them (I assume) and just wonder, "what the hell happened to her pants?".

The upside...is that if I ever really wanted to, I could just go to Gabes (imperfect store), buy some factory rejects...and still look chic.

Em

I think they can be cute. I like crazy funky jeans with patches on them or if they have big holes and wearing tights or fishnets under them.

Yeah, it actually almost seems harder to find a regular/indigo wash or a raw denim wash without it being distressing or destroyed. I wonder will it will finally be over.

Morningstar said:
Yeah, it actually almost seems harder to find a regular/indigo wash or a raw denim wash without it being distressing or destroyed. I wonder will it will finally be over.

I hear ya. I feel the same way about jeans with stretch. I like it to a point, but sometimes, I just want a pair of jeans.

Em

Depending on the material, color, style, how the "damage" is done and placed, how "destroyed" they are, etc., they can be pretty cool. But not when they just look dirty and old, which I think is what this thread is really about.

Style is subjective. I like dirty looking jeans as long as the wash is nice and the denim is of good quality. For example, a dark wash denim would look great with some orangey rust stains but would look horrible with a light dusty sand stain. Also the intricateness of the holes come into play, if they just looked like somebody took a razor to them then, yes, that is UGLY. But if there is actually some thought onto how the holes will look, or how a certain rip comes into play then I think it adds a sort of rugged element or style that a normal person cannot get with a simply razor and a pair of jeans. But anyways, I don't even wear jeans regularly so whatever. I live my life in skirts.

Some destroyed jeans look WAY too artificial.

But the main purpose of this thread was to know your opinions about this "style". :flower:

i kinda like it. but, all the preps/jocks at my school are wearing the ones from abercrombie & hollister:yuk:

my friend tried going into a club with ripped jeans, he had to pass them off like he bought em like that haha... we could hear the bouncer say 'back in our days theres no way we'd get into clubs like that...' as we were going in

they are cool if they wern't bought like that

It is a bit annoying how everyone is suddenly wearing them.
especially from the likes of A&F.

Im leaning towards disliking it.

I like homemade... every look can work a certain way I suppose..

Yes all the kids at my school are paying 80 bucks for ripped to shreds paint covered jeans

pointup said:
I like homemade... every look can work a certain way I suppose..

Yes all the kids at my school are paying 80 bucks for ripped to shreds paint covered jeans

The artificially destroyed ones are so "in you face fakiness", it's almost gross.

<shrug> Like most things, looks good if done well...

I have a pair of Diesel jeans that are 3 yrs old that I've repatched 3 different times. They are my absolute favorite jeans, but when I wear them I try to put them with something a little bit dressier. I've also been commisioned to repair other people's favorite jeans. I think that they are cooler this way. Buying them torn doesn't really make sense, making them your own makes them personal.

theres the ripped jeans when u accidently fall over rip them or they just get worn through. dont mind them.

then theres the oh look i payed a whole load of money for these jeans and it looks like a lawn mower has run over them! they just look so fake, bad and wrong!:ninja:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aza
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->