Discussion: Who Should Be The Creative Director of Chanel?

right now Chanel only has Marc Jacobs, John Galliano and Hedi Slimane as contenders.

Phoebe and Ricardo are 2nd tier because they've never stepped into 1st tier labels...for Celine and Givenchy, being successful wasn't a requirement...

John would be best at Fendi. He made it clear that the needs of a Super House like Dior or Chanel are beyond his bandwidth. Fendi is the best we can reasonably expect from him since there is only RTW and the Haute Fourrure shows once a year.

...at this point if Hedi or Marc is not chosen ... Chanel has nobody who can produce credible haute couture.

right now Chanel only has Marc Jacobs, John Galliano and Hedi Slimane as contenders.

Phoebe and Ricardo are 2nd tier because they've never stepped into 1st tier labels...for Celine and Givenchy, being successful wasn't a requirement...

John would be best at Fendi. He made it clear that the needs of a Super House like Dior or Chanel are beyond his bandwidth. Fendi is the best we can reasonably expect from him since there is only RTW and the Haute Fourrure shows once a year.

...at this point if Hedi or Marc is not chosen ... Chanel has nobody who can produce credible haute couture.
Do you really think the Wertheimers would choose someone as unstable as Marc to fill the role of CD for a historic parisian couture house that would have to stay at least 10 years as such?

What do they mean by ‘long-term’? I think Karl is an unreasonable standard for that.
I'm imagining 10 to 12 years, 15 years max. I don't think we'll have another 40-year tenure like Karl.

The issue with Chanel is that HC isn't just window dressing with a red carpet operation like most businesses. Chanel HC may only make up a small part of the brand's revenue, but it's an actual business with an actual clientele.

It was heavily rumoured that Chanel considered an outside hire back in 2018 after Karl became unwell, and Phoebe was one of the top candidates, so I highly doubt she’d be seen as second tier. Bottom line is, she just started a business that’s still finding its footing, she’s not gonna take a job of this magnitude, just not happening.

Phoebe Philo also has family.... i do not see her moving to Paris or going to Paris from London often...

Regular collections, haute couture, metier art collection..... i do not see her wanting that much work-load.....

To be honest.... i think she is quite happy with doing some fashion and selling it online........ regardless of its financial success.

What I will may sound controversial but imo
Marc Jacobs and John Galliano are only seen as serious contenders by people on the internet and nostalgic people in the industry that don’t understand the challenges of the current climate.
They aren’t even credible names RN.

They create runway moments but brands needs more today. Are they currently the best representation for a brand?

^I agree.

Marc Jacobs is hardly relevant today, let alone for Chanel. The problem with him is that he kept lingering around for too long. Had he 'disappeared' entirely for a while, there could have been a comeback story of sorts. Now he's just there all the time and people don't really care that much.
Galliano for Chanel, don't even think about it indeed.

I feel like Bruno Pavlovsky initially gave many hints which did absolutely not lead to Hedi. So much that the opposite may be true. Now he's talking about a 360 degree vision and a product-driven vision. The timing of the whole Celine/Hedi announcement may be a coincidence but I'm not ruling Hedi out yet. Miss Tweed help us out once again :lol:

From a marketing and prestige POV, they should have been talking to Phoebe Philo for sure. Never mind her own line and the work load, no one is entirely immune to what Chanel can offer, financially and in additional terms.

I reiterate that Chitose Abe, Matthieu Blazy, Nicolas di Felice or Marie-Adam Leenaerdt would be great :smile:

We have to put this discussion on rice for a bit. Why is CHANEL so revered? In my opinion, it's because of the the theatrics, and not the clothes. This brand has always been dowdy, but Lagerfeld intuitively knew what he could shape and mold and create into something that could be invigorating. The theatrics imbued the technicality of the clothes, and vice-versa. The set-design of this season kinda proved that. Better clothes in *years*, but it felt so hollow. Because no-one knows what fashion is anymore. The importance of it. The fantasy of it. The Grand-Palais is boring. Monaco is boring. Everything is boring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick1488
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->