Doctor Who

Moffat used to be so much better when he wasn't show runner. The episodes he wrote with David and Chris as the Doctor are my favourite ever Who episodes. His female characters like Sally Sparrow and Madame de Pompadour were brilliant.

My favourite companion of the New Who era was Donna and that is because they had such a strong friendship. Rory is probably my second fave. Rose annoyed me because she became such a Mary Sue character and her entire life just revolved around the doctor. I really do like Clara because she's witty, she's strong, and she's such a warm character.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree Moffat was much better when he wasn't a show runner, it almost seems like it's a bit much for him. Maybe it's a bit much for him to be show runner for both Doctor Who and Sherlock (though I'm sure fans of both shows would say I'm committing a sin for suggesting this)? And I do love some of his female characters, especially Sally Sparrow, even if the weeping angels do terrifying me a bit.

I think we have similar views, Donna is my favorite as well. She was just so brilliant and funny and I loved how she was so adamant about not being the Doctor's romantic love interest. He really need her to be his friend and I think she need him as well. The way she left the Doctor's companionship was (and still is) quite upsetting. :cry: My sister would so agree with you about Rory, she loves him to bits (I like him though too)! I do like Clara's character (though I imagine my previous post sounded like I didn't like her), she seems like a fresh of breath air. Plus, she can keep up with the Doctor's fast way of speaking! ^_^

I think we're both on the same page.

Is it just me or are the new episodes just like ones during David's tenure? Today's reminded me if the devil one and the trailer for next week reminds me of another one of his.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saturday's episode reminded me of The End of the World (Ninth Doctor) and The Beast Below, weirdly enough they were both second episodes with their particular companions--Rose, Amy and now Clara (and I'm calling it her second because it IS the second with Clara as Clara) and this most recent one was nowhere near as good as the other two, in my opinion. And I wasn't the biggest fan of The Beast Below, for the record.

I like Clara, but I feel kind of like she's being shoved down our throats a little, if that makes any sense--like we KNOW we're supposed to adore her, because she's REALLY SPECIAL, so we do. But I also really, really loved Amy and Rory and I'm not quite over their departure, so I'm not at all an unbiased opinion here, haha.

I also don't like jumping on the "Moffat is a woman hater!!" boat, but I will agree he seems to have some issues somewhere. And I'm not fond of the Doctor and Clara being romantically involved because, um, hello, he's married to River. The guy who saves all of the worlds can't be a cheater!

And last but not least, I love Rose too, but I far prefer her when she was traveling with Nine. Their affection/friendship seemed much more organic to me, and it also felt much more like it was from both sides. I'd much rather see Nine and Rose for the 50th than Ten and Rose, but I know I'm in the minority there.

i haven't seen the last episode yet, but so far i love Clara and i didn't thought i would. Amy and Rory used to be my fave companions by far, followed by Donna, Martha was okay and Rose annoyed me so such, so i wouldn't really want her for the 50th...

and i don't know but i guess i never really mind about the percentage of appearences of female characters i just feel sometimes people picture someone as a male character because they do and not because they are against female characters (i myself when i write preffer to write and create male characters, but not because i don't like female since i'm a girl myself but because i feel it's a bit more interesting)

I guess the fact that Moffat episodes aren't as good as the ones he wrote when he wasn't a showrunner could be because he had way more ideas he could merge into one single episode while now he has to extend this to almost all of the episodes of the season?? :unsure:

I don't know why but Doctor Who has become so bland to me. It's strange because I really really really like Clara but it seems the writers are just rehashing the episodes from the first two series.

I don't know what's worse; Daleks that could fly or Cybermen with super speed.

The season finale was last night and I thought the episode was so good! Parts of the episode totally had me saying "are you f-ing kidding me!" :lol: It seems like they used the episode to set up the plot of the 50th which was good.

I'm really glad that they didn't actually say the doctors real name. I would have been so pissed. I know some people want to know but I think that it's better not to know. Honestly, I hope we never find out his name because to me, that would mean the end of the series. Though I love when he said "please" to GI and the door opened and the GI made a face like, "wait seriously- your name is please?" for a moment. It was hilarious. And I'm curious to see how the 50th goes, it's going to be crazy.

Also, now this is really dumb, but I've always seen Doctor Who as this show that would be infinite but quite a few people have been making comments that it might end after Matt Smith (or one more doctor after him). It's always struck me as the sort of show that could go on forever. So what do you guys think? Have any theories for the 50th too? I'm so excited for it- cannot wait to see the old doctors (especially ten!)- but also so annoyed we have to wait till November.

Also, now this is really dumb, but I've always seen Doctor Who as this show that would be infinite but quite a few people have been making comments that it might end after Matt Smith (or one more doctor after him). It's always struck me as the sort of show that could go on forever.

In Doctor Who canon it's been said in the past that Time Lords have 12 regenerations, or 13 bodies. But I think both of the recent showrunners have said they'd keep it going as long as they could past that, and I'm pretty sure I remember that when the Eleventh guested on the Sarah Jane Adventures he said he had limitless regenerations. I don't imagine when they came up with 12 all those years ago that the show would be what it is today, haha.

I liked the finale but I don't feel like it really answered the questions it claimed it did. It gave us an idea of WHY clara exists, but not really who she is, at least I don't think. The end had my son and I reeling, though I've read a few spoilers for the 50th and I have to say they make me a bit worried/irritated. I'm trying to stay positive, though!

^Oh yeah, I've totally read the whole theory about the 12 regenerations. But I'm hoping they find a way around that "clause" so the show can go on for a bit longer. I have to say I love that all the theories about who Clara was were wrong. In the end she was just a girl who lived thousands of lives to save her friend, the doctor. It seems so simple yet terribly complex and beautiful (and quite sad in its own way).

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt Smith's last episode as the doctor will be the Christmas episode. :cry:
I'm genuinely quite upset about it, I love his quirky take on the doctor. And to make it on Christmas day is just mean, I'm going to be such a weepy mess, I won't be able to properly enjoy my chinese food and whatever movie we go to see earlier in the day! And while I'm sad, I'm also curious to see who they cast as the 12th doctor, whoever it is, has very big shoes to fill.

[Matt Smith's statement in full

"Doctor Who has been the most brilliant experience for me as an actor and a bloke, and that largely is down to the cast, crew and fans of the show.

"I'm incredibly grateful to all the cast and crew who work tirelessly every day to realise all the elements of the show and deliver Doctor Who to the audience. Many of them have become good friends and I'm incredibly proud of what we have achieved over the last four years.

"Having Steven Moffat as show runner write such varied, funny, mind bending and brilliant scripts has been one of the greatest and most rewarding challenges of my career. It's been a privilege and a treat to work with Steven - he's a good friend and will continue to shape a brilliant world for the Doctor.

The fans of Doctor Who around the world are unlike any other; they dress up, shout louder, know more about the history of the show (and speculate more about the future of the show) in a way that I've never seen before.

"Your dedication is truly remarkable. Thank you so very much for supporting my incarnation of the Time Lord, number 11, who I might add is not done yet - I'm back for the 50th anniversary and the Christmas special.

"It's been an honour to play this part, to follow the legacy of brilliant actors, and helm the Tardis for a spell with 'the ginger, the nose and the impossible one'. But when ya gotta go, ya gotta go and Trenzalore calls. Thank you guys. Matt."
BBCNews

The BBC announced today that Matt Smith will leave Doctor Who after four years on the long-running program. Smith, who arrived on the show in 2010, will part ways with the TARDIS at the end of this year after starring in the 50th Anniversary special in November. According to the BBC, he’ll also regenerate one last time for this year’s Christmas special.
“Doctor Who has been the most brilliant experience for me as an actor and a bloke, and that largely is down to the cast, crew and fans of the show,” Smith said in a statement. “I’m incredibly grateful to all the cast and crew who work tirelessly every day, to realize all the elements of the show and deliver Doctor Who to the audience.”
Smith continued, “The fans of Doctor Who around the world are unlike any other; they dress up, shout louder, know more about the history of the show (and speculate more about the future of the show) in a way that I’ve never seen before, your dedication is truly remarkable. Thank you so very much for supporting my incarnation of the Time Lord, number Eleven, who I might add is not done yet.” (Read his full statement here.)

Steven Moffat, the lead writer and executive producer of Doctor Who, also released a statement in which he thanked Smith for his work as the Time Lord. “Bow ties were never cooler,” he said. Moffat’s already looking to the future, though, as the quest to find a new Doctor gets underway. “Now the search begins. Somewhere out there right now – all unknowing, just going about their business – is someone who’s about to become the Doctor. A life is going to change, and Doctor Who will be born all over again! After 50 years, that’s still so exciting!”
What say you, Whovians: Are you sad to see Matt Smith go?
ew.com

I think he was more of a transitional doctor to me. He's a great actor however I think Doctor Who was more of a job to him than a dream come true. There's nothing wrong with that but I think that after David Tennant, who lived and breathed Doctor Who his entire life, it lessened the show in a way.

Watching season 6, I have to say so far I"m loving it. At first I was not excited to see Matt Smith as the Doctor because I really liked David Tennant. I love Smith's quirky Doctor so I'm also going to be really upset to see him go.

Peter Capaldi is the new Doctor. I have a feeling that he is going to be brilliant.

The idea that 'Malcolm Tucker' is now the Doctor amuses me no end.

I'm really excited! As much as I'd hoped the new Doctor would be someone unknown, I think Peter Capaldi is a great choice. I mean, look how great the last life-long Who fan was as the Doctor, this can only lead to good things!

i'm so excited with Peter Capaldi, i was discusing with a friend that since the last 3 doctors have been kind of "young" most of the people totally ditched the possibility of him been a bit older, so it was definitely a surprise but a good one, i have really big expectations and this totally ends the weird almost-romantic relation the doctor used to have with his pasts companions... which i never actually liked.(specially Rose and 10th, i hated it till no end) so then i said it again: I'm massively excited. :woot:

I'm very excited for Peter Capaldi! ^ I agree, I'm happy that the new Doctor is an older man. I was hoping they would not chose someone younger then Matt Smith. I didn't mind the young companion semi romantic with Rose but they rest I hated.

Peter Capaldi was really fantastic on The Hour so I have a good feeling about this. Really hope this means that they won't go for a romantic angle between the doctor and his companion, that would be so gross (especially since they tend to be on the younger side). It would be fantastic to see another friendship similar to the one Ten and Donna had.

The day of the Doctor is coming today. At once I can watch something same time as England, our local tv shows it tonight. Can't wait :woot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->