Twin Peaks

Discussion in 'the Entertainment Spot' started by Belowen, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Belowen

Belowen ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

I finished Twin Peaks season 1 recently and couldn't get wait to start on season 2... I know this is an old show, but I also know that there are a lot of fans of the series out there so I thought I would start up a discussion thread for those interested in re-living the series... :heart:

2. Chaky

Chaky New Member

I was obsessed with this when it was originally aired. I was only very young and had to convince my parents to let me watch it. I do think it is one of the best TV shows ever made, certainly the first season.

It definitely made me want to seek out other things David Lynch was involved in and he's still one of my favourite directors.

I'm thinking of asking for the gold DVD box set of this for Christmas.

3. Eple

Eple New Member

I saw it for the first time about a year or so ago, and I really love it. I stopped watching after the mystery was solved though because I felt like there was no drive left. I still have the episodes on my harddrive though, should I continue watching? Is it worth the time?

I love the mood and the visuals of the show, it's very inspiring compared to shows these days (I'm looking at you The O.C./ new Beverly Hills etc)...

4. Chaky

Chaky New Member

It was incredible that a show like this was put on network television. I don't think they knew what they were getting themselves into. And then once they saw, they didn't know what to do with it. Too much pressure from studio execs kinda killed the show early in the second season (some of the DVD commentaries mention it). I don't want to say too much though so as not to spoil it for Belowen.

I do think it's worth persevering to the end though as there are still elements of genius there.

5. lostgirl

lostgirl New Member

I also stopped watching midway through season two a few episodes after they solved the murder, but it was a great show. Totally unlike anything else on TV and if someone attempted something like it again I think it would come off as a pale immitation.

6. Jenna-maria

Jenna-maria New Member

that show is one of the scaryest tv show i have ever watched.
    i had to watch it lights on and never alon.
    i was like...10 when i first time saw episodes and when i was 14 i watched the every season.
    oh, good memories
    :shock::lol:

7. Gincat

Gincat New Member

have you all seen Fire Walk with Me? Now that was scary. Some of the darkest themes ever on Twin Peaks...I can't believe how it actually aired on network t.v.

8. newprincesita

newprincesita New Member

Great show!
    Saw it when it aired and then again a couple of months ago. It aged quite well.
    It kinda falls in quality after the crime is solved. The first episodes are great even now.
    I saw the movie decades ago, I´ll try to watch it again.

9. Belowen

Belowen ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

I have that all ready to watch after season 2!

And don't worry about spoilers guys, after the cliffhanger of season 1, and me not having season 2 on hand I googled and read the plot of season 2 online :ninja:

10. newprincesita

newprincesita New Member

So many great actors that never appeared in good roles after TP. I guess there was a talk about a TP "curse". I once saw Laura Palmer in a House supporting role. And Leland as a super minor caracter in MadMen. Kyle Mc Laghlan also was GREAT in TP and such a dork in Desperate Houswives.

11. Gincat

Gincat New Member

So true, this includes my favorite Sherilyn Fenn/Audrey Horne (who, by the way, was once engaged to Johnny Depp). She her career never really took off.

The one exception is Joan Chen, who is a very successful actress.

#11 Gincat, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited by moderator : Dec 7, 2010
  12. anniehall

anniehall Member

After 3 days I finished! OMG So good! And now...Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me :woot:

13. Not Plain Jane

Not Plain Jane Well-Known Member

I should revisit this series, watched it on t.v. when it first came out. I just saw the band "Cults" about a week ago and they walked on stage to the Twin Peaks theme music, and now today I see this thread. Guess it is a sign to rent the DVDs and relive the series! :p

14. jml2

jml2 Guest

I loved the music of this show

15. Susann

Susann New Member

I'm a huuuuge fan! It's my absolute favourite!
    The music, the colours ...perfect!

16. coco vaughn

coco vaughn Active Member

i've started to watching, but i stopped, but i really should finish it.

it has an amazing, eerie, weird atmosphere, i loved it, so as the wonderful music.
    such a special show.

17. Chaky

Chaky New Member

Yes it's amazing! David Lynch's website actually has a lot of the music on there available to stream.

I finished watching the boxset of season 1 & 2 after not seeing it for many years. I think I had forgotten (or blotted out) just how bad a lot of season 2 was. After the murder is solved there is a real lull where the show completely lost any direction and they have this whole drugs subplot (with the cross-dressing David Duchovny). It only started to find its feet again towards the end by which time it was too late.

Too many new supporting characters too, many of whom are best forgotten. There's actually an interview with Mark Frost on the DVD where he talks about this very point (and it cuts to a shot of Dick Tremayne :yuk: ). He acknowledges the mistakes and talks briefly about the direction they wanted it to take.

But I don't think David Lynch was one to be restricted by the demands of TV executives. He'd surely lost interest by that point.

18. Not Plain Jane

Not Plain Jane Well-Known Member

Just watching it again now, since it's on Netflix - wow. Brings back a lot of memories!

19. Phuel

Phuel Well-Known Member

I sometimes get David Lynch mixed up with David Cronenberg-- don't know why as their approach and styles are so different...

I remember watching a film called The Reflecting Skin a long long time ago that I always thought was a David Lynch film, and just found out now that it wasn't. Every surreal caper-noir type film that came out in the 90s seemed to be influenced by him, at least for me. I love how he was always able to create such a thick veil of genuine atmosphere in all his works, along with such a strong sense of high style. I have vague memories of seeing Blue Velvet with my Dad, Lost Highway and Wild At Heart with my friends when I was a teenager, and just recently having rewatched Dune, but I've never seen Twin Peaks-- either TV-series or film. Weird. Isn't Lana Del Ray's video for her cover of Blue Velvet a tribute to Twin Peaks?

I'd love to see a new David Lynch film costumed exclusively by Miuccia. These two really would compliment each other so well.

20. eugenius

eugenius Well-Known Member

It's coming back!

"Twin Peaks" is back! After rumors and teasing, Showtime announced that the cult classic will return in 2016 for nine new episodes. The network released a cryptic "special 'TWIN PEAKS' announcement" on YouTube to confirm the news. The airing of new "Twin Peaks" episodes will coincide with the 25th anniversary of the show's two-year run on ABC.
    Showtime said in a statement that co-creators David Lynch and Mark Frost will write all of the episodes and Lynch will direct every episode. Per Showtime, "'Twin Peaks' will continue the lore of the original series, providing long-awaited answers for the series' passionate fan base." Rumors also claim that Kyle McLachlan will be back to reprise his role as FBI Agent Dale Cooper, but Showtime has yet to confirm or deny any casting news to HuffPost Entertainment.
    “The mysterious and special world of 'Twin Peaks' is pulling us back. We’re very excited. May the forest be with you," Lynch and Frost said in a joint statement. Showtime will also re-air the first two seasons of the show in advance of new episodes

(src: Huf fPo)