Don't waste your money on...

oh, for the Frieda 'Ocean Waves', i use it like this: my hair is naturally wavy/curley but i straighten it with the hairdryer. If i've been in the pool, i let my hair air-dry, and then i scrunch it in. it gives it gloss and definition (and the nice summery coconut scent. heehee) Also, i spilled some of the oil out (from the top) and it seems to work better now--less 'greasy feeling'. it also works after i've blow-dried my hair...but it doesn't help at all if i just let it air dry out of the shower. (if i make sense!)

I don't like Revlon's Skinlight's clear mascara. It looks cool in the tube but that's about it.

But then, I don't normally like clear mascaras, anyway. I put mascara on because I want to LOOK like I have it on and with the clear stuff I might as well not bother putting it on in the first place.

*Chelle*

What products have you tried and would NOT recommend? I know it's not such a big deal when you buy something at the drugstore but I'm sure nearly everyone bought something at the counter on a whim and IT SUCKED.

Save your fellow sista from wasting their money!

Let's see...some things i have bought and hated...

ANYTHING from the "mira" line at eckerd...especially the "eye glossy" (eye glosses can be cool, but this one just sucked)!

Rimmel Eyeshadows (some people say they love them, i think they are not intense enough)

umm...I usually research most higher-priced things I buy so i'm not disappointed with most of the purchases i make at Sephora, etc... one thing i did get and sort of disliked was a palette from Urban Decay...it's great idea but there is a sparkly eyeshadow that got in the lipglosses...unfortunately i don't like most of hard candy's makeup or the palm palette with its separate lids would be a great idea. I love palettes because I'm always going somewhere...

I, myself, feel that Cover Girl is pretty good. As long as I apply my base, the colors show up (and stay) pretty well.

One brand of eyeshadow I dislike, however, is Jane Cosmetics. Now that stuff doesn't stay on too long, but what can one expect from eyeshadow that costs but a mere $3?

i just remembered this...

sephora eye liner

this liner is too soft and the colors smudge easy...the texture is like a lipstick...some ppl might like it...but for me, no thanks...u cannot line ur eyes with this one, it doesnt stay sharp and the lines are very bold because its so soft.

i know a lot of ppl like this...but it does nothing for me...

mac blot powder...after 2 uses, i just abandonned it and went back to my other mad and anna sui powders...

One brand of eyeshadow I dislike, however, is Jane Cosmetics. Now that stuff doesn't stay on too long, but what can one expect from eyeshadow that costs but a mere $3?

whoa...I really like jane shadows. they eyezings, not the cream or liquid ones. A new one I got recently is goldielooks. I like it, it blends well, doesn't crease as long as I apply a base. But they did redo their color line recently which I think was a mistake, the new colors are just too candy-ish for me.

Clinique Take the Day Off makeup remover.. urgh... the stuff stinks and almost blinded me when I tried removing my mascara

that sucks! Everybody raves about Take The Day Off but I can't really see how great it is either. I use baby oil or almond oil. That's all most makeup removers are anyway, is mineral oil. I'd rather spend my money on something that puts makeup ON my face :smile:

Jergens lotion
Clinique Long Pretty Lashes
Blistex Complete Moisture
Suave body lotions

my worst is Sephora nail polish, its sticky since day ONE

most make up from Bodyshop is really bad , their anticernes is drying out in seconds giving one no time to blend.. and sooo thickkkk
avoid...

Ohh i almost forgot...

Prestige Lip Vinyl (it looks great but it tastes SOOO bad, like rubbing molten plastic on your lips!) If you want a cheap glossy-gloss i'd stick with Bonne Bell lip D'votions...it's sticky and lasts about 2 hours at most but it tastes mmmmmmgood! i've heard caboodles are okay too but never really needed one as most of the time I use lip balm instead.

and Max Factor 2000 calorie mascara...heard so many raves about it so i got it in Auburn cos i thought it meant lighter brown and it's actually purple-red. :? BLECH...oh well i tried it anyway and the color doesn't really show up, but the brush is SOO hard and it's impossible to put on well. I always get clumpies where my eyeliner should go. even a metal lash comb can't save me now.....

Stila lip glaze isn't worth the $$. It's sticky and it wears off in less than an hour. I bought it in fruit punch, and even the smell wasn't that great!

MAC lac luster. i don't get it, on me it looks like those 'lipfinity' type products, without the shine topcoat and without the staying power either.
it made my lips kinda shrivel up and look all prune-y! fortunately i just sampled it and would never recommend this.

Fabulous post! My "do not buy" list:

-Laura Mercier concealer (dry and horrid)
-Bobbi Brown stick foundation (can you say greasepaint?)

Stilla lip demi cremes -similar to the mac lip lusters I think, dried up my lips to the point that they were flaky for a whole week. Didn't even stay on that long. What a waste of money.

Two things that came to mind:

- Make Up Forever lip gloss: so sticky that I was afraid to close my mouth
- Clinique Eye Makeup remover solvent: takes forever to remove mascara, may as well use soap and water

Rimmel compact powder does nothing, unless you already have perfect skin I guess;
Rimmel foundation for dry skin - horrible - does not blend at all and smells strong too;
Clinique Selftanning (the entire range) it just sucks, I put it on and it does nothing, not even a hint of a tan!
Chanel Infrarouge lipstick - this product just reminded me why I don't use lipsticks but lipglosses, it felt like putting on children's make up (you know, the ones where you painted the dolls with)

I am sure I know some other ones that are not worthy your money.. but I am headed out RIGHT NOW :smile:

Fabulous post! My "do not buy" list:

-Laura Mercier concealer (dry and horrid)
-Bobbi Brown stick foundation (can you say greasepaint?)

Actually...the laura mercier concealer (secret camoflauge) is fabulous...at first I hated it..but then once I blended it and got it warmed up, it covers the best...but you have to blend well...I actually tried returning it after I bought it and they wouldnt let me (didnt have my receipt or whatever) and ended up using all of it!!

Do not buy list:
Kiehls shampoo and conditioner
Kiehls light eye cream

Actually, I'm thinking of returning the Laura Mercier Secret Camoflauge myself. (And I kept the receipt!) But you've inspired me to keep trying with it. It looked good when the MA did it for me so I know it can work.

Tealady....it helps a lot if you apply a moisturizing eye cream just before you apply it. It really makes a difference, the texture is smoother and easier to blend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianapalm
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->