Dressing to Beat the Heat

We don't have a lot of really hot days, so I am always struggling at least to wear my summer dresses once every year :lol:

My favorite when it is awfully hot is this very thin silk dress from Zara which also protects against the sun.

SNV11321.jpg

Florida is the Mecca of summer heat and tropical humdity. I hate it and I'm a native, I try to maintain a consistent style. So adapting and dressing the way you love is very annoying. I usually go for light colored plaids made of thin cottons, salvaged denim and canvas sneakers, like converse or vans. Can't wait for fall and winter.

with summer heat advisories on for about 3 days now...
it's pretty much impossible to beat the heat...:(

my very lame strategy is just to wear some flimsy inexpensive dress that i can throw in the washing machine when i get home because it will be soaked with perspiration...
it's pretty much impossible to avoid...
:doh:...

the worst part is that i have to take 2-3 showers every single day!...
so ridiculous...

i wouldn't even go outdoors if i could avoid it!

i cover myself like protecting me from the sun when that happens...but i guess the most interesting way its wear natural light clothes made of cotton that transpire and flip flops if that possible or avoid shoes that can make you feel more tired...light ones maybe...
Drink water should be included as part of the outfit... you know a cute lil' bottle.

My other strategy of covering myself also works as i don't feel my skin burning but i try to choose cotton light pieces if the heat is soo much... and of course better white than black...even when black rocks more...

Light-colored t-shirts with tank top underneath; paradoxically, I find it cooler to have two layers. Lightweight, light colored jeans. And after a lifetime of refusing to wear shorts, on the hottest days, I have to admit that even knee-length shorts are a lot cooler than jeans, so now I have a couple of pairs.

I'm still wearing boots, though. :lol:

it's that time again....
i am always trying to come up with new ideas of how to survive in the sweltering city heat...

all suggestions/ideas welcome!...

I wear Harem pants and vintage t-shirt or just basic t-shirt and sandals.

OR

Loose dress that I belt around the waist and sandals.

ofcourse loose cotton blouses and shorts are good too.

I could not even image walking around in jeans when it is super hot day.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ it's not that bad actually, jeans can be very good at blocking the heat.. when they're not tight of course!. I see a lot of people wearing them and I live near the desert, it gets really hot here. A cowboy staple probably for that reason (and resistance of course).

I keep going back to denim shorts.. can't help it, I don't like short shorts though.. it's hard to keep them baggy and I think the bagginess is crucial.. to let the air in and keep clothing fresh. I remember one night sleeping in denim shorts cause it was so hot.. I chose them because no matter how many times you roll over, there's always a 'cold' side, much more fresh than sleeping with little or nothing on, trust me. :lol:

I also tend to wear cotton button-down shirts instead of blouses or tshirts.. they're so comfortable and airy.. and often have a more polished look, esp. when you roll up the sleeves and unbutton it a bit.

Focusing on this specific season, I'm hoping to wear less sandals.. I really want a pair of either converse or any other thin canvas shoe.
Also trying to keep my palette in earthy colors and black and white.. I loved this skirt from Topshop, it has the most perfect shape to wear it on a hot summer day with anything from a shirt to a tank top and it still looks interesting and far from messy.

topjbf.jpg

[topshop]

Last edited by a moderator:
^Oh mullet you completely described what I'm going to wear to Roskilde festival in a few days. It seems as though it's going to be somewhat hot. And I sweat easily so something airy is crucial for me. Therefore I have mostly packed shorts that are not too tight and loose button-down shirts and blouses. Most of them are second-hand which makes them slightly too big and therefore nicely airy. ^_^

Also loose cotton dresses preferable without sleeves are a big yay for me...

I try to avoid anything tight. The closest thing I wear to tight are slim-fitting tanks. I try to avoid skirts and dresses with a lining because it makes it soooo much hotter. The lining sticks to you and then the outside layer becomes oppressive. Light colors are obvious. Sun hats are a must for ultra-pale me. I wear skirts more than shorts just because the breeze is very cooling when you're wearing a skirt. I do like to make my own jean shorts, however, with old jeans that I can cut to the exact right length. I have a light jacket on for restaurants and movie theaters and I carry a bigger bag so I can shove my jacket/cardigan/book/water/sunglasses in it.

I usually go for shorts with a loose tank or oversized t-shirt as the loose fit keeps me from getting too hot. It's pretty basic but good for accessorizing, I think that's the best way to stay chic in hot weather adding accessories that you can then remove if they end up bothering you.
Harem pants are also grat for summer as I found out not long ago when trying a pair out. The drop crotch fit is so comfortable, perfect for hot weather when most other types of bottoms can be a bit uncomfortable.

It's corny, but I've been stocking up on linen...dresses, pants, shirts...they really are the coolest option I've found. Definitely not for those who are wrinkle-phobic but my style has always been a little...rumpled :P...so I don't mind.

Help with summer style

Am visiting the US soon and am told its a very hot summer. I stay in a place that has tropical climates, it gets hot but never to the levels of going over 100 degrees unless very rarely. Am not too fond of short sleeved shirts or shorts, what advise would you give> Am a designer so I can make anything you suggest wear it during the visit.

The heat always gets to me in the summer so I try to wear as little clothing as possible! :lol: So for me that includes dresses, or shorts and breathy shirts. However, I always feel less stylish in a way because it doesn't take much of an effort to put these outfits together. Any ideas on how to spruce them up?

Urban Stylin, as for the weather in the US it depends where in the country you'll be. Where I live it's been 90 all week but honestly it's normally 80-85 at the most. So for a guy I'd suggest wearing pants in breathable fabrics. Pair it with a button down shirt with the sleeves rolled up (again I'll stress in a fabric which wont make you sweaty and hot) and maybe have a jacket on you for summer nights or if you'll be lots of air conditioned places. Sometimes it can get quite cool (once again depends what part of the country you'll be visiting). Hope that helps a little bit. ^_^

i guess loose clothing, minimal accessories and flat shoes are the basics...
and any interpretation of that would be ok...

it's been super hot the last few days and will continue...so lots of loose clothing right now...

every once in awhile i see someone who looks like they really got dressed up...
but they are dressed all wrong...
ie- long sleeved shirt w. jeans...or shorts with super high platforms...
i saw one girl who looked great...
but she was wearing a long skirt with a chinese style vintage QUILTED jacket..
it was 95 degrees out...!
:doh:...
then she headed into the subway...
which is basically an underground oven...
i can only imagine what she looked(smelled) like when she got out at the other end...
:ninja:...

:lol:

Silk, silk, silk!!
Sheer fabrics plus long lengths, and shorter lengths for thicker fabrics (like denim) is my formula :P

I'm always trying to cover up more, wihout blocking the breeze. The best for this is a bambula backless long dress. 35ºC and you can still breathe.

I like to wear skirts because they create a nice breeze, but I generally don't wear tops that are too revealing because I burn really easily so I try to stay protected from the sun.

The heat and humidity makes is much harder to dress for work. I can't wear shorts, but everything else seems to be too hot. Tomorrow I'm gonna try some loose fitting light coloured jeans, with some thin cotton layers on top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Annejudy
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->