Dressing to Beat the Heat

MulletProof - the dress sounds perfect.

I'm another person who has issues when it comes to dressing in the warmer weather. This year I'm taking a slightly different tack by making a list of items that will work with my existing clothes and give me more outfit choices (and therefore make the heat slightly more bearable).

My list is...
  • A couple of nice tops (i.e. not t-shirts)
  • A pair of black pants
  • A dress (preferably striped)
  • A pair of comfortable ballet flats
So far I've picked up one top (with a discount coupon), the black pants (on sale), and the shoes (for free) so I'm feeling a little more hopeful about the summer.

H chalayan slacks sml.jpgtangerine top.jpgGS Gabby.jpg
Images from: 80's Purple, LaGarconne, Solestruck

My game plan for summer:
- A big black X on anything synthetic. I've learned not to be fooled by how flimsy or soft-as-cotton a garment seems. If the fabric isn't made from natural fibers, it will make me hot and uncomfortable. Rayon is an exception when it's from a high-quality brand.
- This goes for shoes as well, as I have been misled by cute summery shoes at a steal in the past. They make my feet sweat so bad. High quality PVC shoes (such as the brand Melissa) are another exception, I have no idea why, but they are very heat-friendly.
- Strapless bras look unnatural to me, so I'll wear one only if I'm wearing a strapless top/dress. I look for bras with pretty, delicate straps to peek out of my summer clothes. Some people think it looks trashy, but you can't please everyone.
- I mostly go for airy fabrics, so if I think I'm going to be photographed (a modern problem, what with all the camera phones), I take a picture of myself beforehand to make sure nothing is too transparent.
- AC makes me freeze, so I always carry a jacket or shawl that can be rumpled into a tiny ball in my bag without getting wrinkly. Still looking for the best fabric for this, suggestions anyone? If it's light-colored, I keep it in a small pouch in my handbag so it doesn't get dirty easily.
- Trying to wear heels daily this year, but my feet get too swollen in the heat. Even flats with very thin straps hurt my swollen feet. So I'm looking for sturdy sandals with a moderate wedge or heel (but not kitten heel, don't like those). Why are they so hard to find??
- I always grow out my fringe around March/April so that I can pin it back come summer. A tiny detail that saves me a lot of trouble.
- Forego most jewellery and non-utilitarian accessories. How can people stand to wear things like scarves in the summer? I accessorize with earrings, which don't rest on the skin, and nail color. Only wear a belt if the outfit needs definition.

Last edited by a moderator:
I despise summer. Just thinking about it gets me annoyed! I've bought some light and airy alex wang-esque tank tops, but other than that, I don't even want to think about it.

^ Agree with you about synthetics (and for me that is year round). I have one or two things that have a percentage of nylon--that is a mistake. Btw, rayon isn't really synthetic--it's made from trees like ramie and Lyocell. Ramie can be a bit rough, but I think all three are breatheable.

For the shoes, what about espadrilles? I've also noticed that certain brands are more likely to do chunky heels. I like mine from Dolce & Gabbana, and Prada also does them many years. Marc Jacobs does them ... One of the biggest gripes I have with stilettos is they get stuck in the seams of paving as you're striding along :doh: Not very elegant, and it can damage them. It really annoys me to have to watch that I don't "step on a crack, break your mother's back [really break your own lovely shoes]" like a 7-year-old.

Personally I am thrilled that you are making Tim Gunn unhappy with your straps. Who asked him, I'd like to know ...

I typically alternate days between heels and flats, unless I've worn the heels for only a few hours. They are just too hard on your feet IMO, you have to give them a chance to recover ...

Personally I am thrilled that you are making Tim Gunn unhappy with your straps. Who asked him, I'd like to know ...

Project Runway, right? His sage advice hasn't reached our shores yet, lord help us.

Rayon is a peculiar fiber, as it straddles between natural and synthetic, but it is very comfy. Another great summer fiber is hemp, but it's hard to find well-designed hemp clothing, probably because of negative associations.

^ Yes, and I believe he's written a style book now (formerly a Parsons prof). Honestly, I am so tired of pronouncements from the likes of Tim Gunn :lol: He can be perfect all he wants, the creases in his pants just so, shoes perfectly polished, hair perfectly cut, it's fine with me. So what if he looks completely AR :innocent: But don't go telling women what they should & should not be doing :blink: I feel much the same way about Adam Glassman (the style editor of O Magazine, who is wont to make similar pronoucements). I always want to ask, Do you have any skin in this game? :lol: Loosen up, baby, loosen up ...

In the summer I usually just end up wearing jean cut off shorts with a loose flowy top. The only problem I run into is that a lot of these tops are sheer so I have to wear an extra tank underneath.

Is it appropriate to wear black boots and or wet look leggings in the summer? Well technically fall began 2 days ago, but the weather is still warm. I'm just such a fall dresser, 60-degree weather is my ideal.

^ When it is actually fall but still warm, I start to wear some fall clothes. My major criterion is whether I can stand it :P Not heavy tweeds ... basically you don't want to make yourself miserable, or others when they look at you, is my theory :wink: I like short sleeved cashmere-blend sweaters, for example ...

PS We have a summer to fall transition thread, I'll bump it for you ...

my recipe for summer heat is quite simple:
linen or thin cotton, loose cuts, hats (they really help to keep my head cool, and it makes such an overall difference), open shoes and big thin cotton shawls to throw over my shoulders and arms when the sun gets to much for my skin.

- AC makes me freeze, so I always carry a jacket or shawl that can be rumpled into a tiny ball in my bag without getting wrinkly. Still looking for the best fabric for this, suggestions anyone? If it's light-colored, I keep it in a small pouch in my handbag so it doesn't get dirty easily.
I'd go for something like this

topshopparka.jpg

topshop.com

I just really like parkas, they can be folded easily. Love the hood too, it's always rainy in Denmark :sick:

Thank you, that jacket is so perfect for this time of the year, when I rely on a windbreaker for chillier days. But alas, it is no good for summer, that glossy material would trap too much heat, and I actually need to wear a jacket indoors (air-conditioning), not outdoors, lol.

wow summer style threads are already popping up? :ninja: and here i am inside a house freezing and wearing a very thick wool hairy sweater... (#_#);; but alas i am in Canada...

gasolinerainbow i find that fabric the_ida posted is quite light-weight and thin i don't think it will keep you hot.. and if you get a slightly bigger size there will be room for air to circulate.

i think you can just search anti-wrinkle, wrinkle resistant clothing.. nowadays you can get a cotton shirt or jacket with an anti-wrinkle finish
but the parka posted is a very common material used in jackets that can be folded into tiny pouches, bags or inside the pocket right on the jacket.

i think they call it rip stop nylon or nylon taffeta

i had a fascination with these some time ago :rolleyes:
for the wrinkle resistance and also that it could be folded into a lightweight pocket

^ I just always keep a black cardigan on my desk chair at work for A/C emergencies rather than carrying anything with me ... atm I'm working out of my home office though, so I and only I control the thermostat :P

^ When it is actually fall but still warm, I start to wear some fall clothes. My major criterion is whether I can stand it :P Not heavy tweeds ... basically you don't want to make yourself miserable, or others when they look at you, is my theory :wink: I like short sleeved cashmere-blend sweaters, for example ...

PS We have a summer to fall transition thread, I'll bump it for you ...

Ah thank you. I was thrown off by a hemisphere switch back in February where I went from below zero (F) to in the 90's (F).

STYLEOCIDE, I can see that being a good fall or spring shirt, depending on how you style it. I can see it with boyfriend jeans and whatever kind of sandals you prefer: espadrilles, standard flats, yellow YSL tribs, whatever. Must say, but not a flip-flop person though. As long as your summers aren't too hot, I can see it working just as well in the summer. I like it.

yeah, i'm thinking i want to add some doc martins or maybe gladiators??
i really want to get something similar to this. it's so perfect!
Filename0001-2.jpg

mary-kateandashleyimages.com
sorry, it's so small. :(

I'm trying to be prepared for summer before the weather really warms up. I'm also determined not to be in the same position every summer. It's funny how fall, winter and even spring fashion is easy for me. But once summer comes around I'm so lost and clueless. I suppose my body issue plays a role but when I think about it my legs aren't that bad and I'll try to compromise at least once.

My Summer Style will be

- gladiator sandals and normal sandals (fav with studs or very high till under your knees)
- ballet flats in red, white, yellow and black
- maxi dresses :heart:
- hats
- big sunglasses
- long chemise with 4/4 long sleeves I love the ones with very fine stipes like blue/white etc
- waistcoasts in leather, jeans or in black
- capri jeans
- very long skirts in beige black or white
- nice jeans with a oversized tee (skinny or wide leg) and belt
- natural jewelry, a lot of wood, leather and shells

It´s already getting warm in germany so I can´t wait^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cg1