Ebay Sellers In Hong Kong

Amara

Reaction score
I had a maybe odd question.

I know you can't trust most people on eBay and people from all countries sell obvious fakes on that site but...

Are sellers from certain countries more likely to sell fakes on eBay? I know that China and sometimes Japan as well have bad reps for selling a lot of fake purses, so I wonder if just seeing 'Seller in Hong Kong or China' is a red flag of sorts that I am less likely to purchase an authentic item.

I know how to tell fake purses from real, though rarely have ever bought outside of the store for them or Saks etc., but I am not sure about coats or blouses and sometimes if they are out of the item at the local stores or their online counterparts then eBay is the last resort.

There is this Marc by Marc Jacobs coat I really want, but I'm a bit wary...I don't mind paying the retail, but I have not seen this coat at any of my local stores.

I couldn't find another topic exactly like this so I hope this is not a repeat.

~Amara

sellers from Hong Kong and China are definately more likely to be selling fakes than others just because that is where the factories that make them are located and there is not a lot of governmental action against it. However, these companies also contain the factories that make most of the designer goods out there, even if the tag says "made in Italy", chances are it was actually primarily constructed somewhere in Asia. Thus, sellers from these areas often have seconds of the items because obviously designers do not sell their seconds anywhere (I'm talking about real designers, not TJ MAXX) as such the factories are left to dispose of them as they please. However, fakes of clothing does exist and some of what is sold on ebay is fake. It really depends. Personally, I have purchased authentic items from sellers in Asia. For instance, I have a D &G hoodie zip up that came with tags and includes the holographic authenticity sticker. IMO it would be too costly to put in the time and effort to make clothing that perfectly mimicked the original in terms of detail and fabric quality. Just check out some results from a search for Burberry shirt or Prada shirt, the fakes are pretty obvious IMO. So be cautious, but you definately could be looking at the real deal. Also, keep in mind that often desingers make different pieces for different markets, so that coat could only be available in Asia, or maybe it is from a past season. Good luck!

Originally posted by meister122@Oct 13 2004, 04:05 AM
sellers from Hong Kong and China are definately more likely to be selling fakes than others just because that is where the factories that make them are located and there is not a lot of governmental action against it.  However, these companies also contain the factories that make most of the designer goods out there, even if the tag says "made in Italy", chances are it was actually primarily constructed somewhere in Asia.  Thus, sellers from these areas often have seconds of the items because obviously designers do not sell their seconds anywhere (I'm talking about real designers, not TJ MAXX) as such the factories are left to dispose of them as they please.  However, fakes of clothing does exist and some of what is sold on ebay is fake.  It really depends.  Personally, I have purchased authentic items from sellers in Asia.  For instance, I have a D &G hoodie zip up that came with tags and includes the holographic authenticity sticker.  IMO it would be too costly to put in the time and effort to make clothing that perfectly mimicked the original in terms of detail and fabric quality.  Just check out some results from a search for Burberry shirt or Prada shirt, the fakes are pretty obvious IMO.  So be cautious, but you definately could be looking at the real deal.  Also, keep in mind that often desingers make different pieces for different markets, so that coat could only be available in Asia, or maybe it is from a past season.  Good luck!
[snapback]395499[/snapback]​

You're right! I've seen supposedly fake designer shoes bought from Shenzen market in mainland China - and compared them with 'the real thing' and in one or two cases there has been no difference at all. A counterfeiter simply would not go to that kind of effort and expense and there would be slight differences simply due to the fakes being made in a different factory to the real thing. I think theres something very fishy going on there........

Another thing I've heard of is end of lines being cleared in Asia - my friend used to work for a (now closed down) boutique in West London. At the end of the season, she'd take a plane to Hong Kong with a few suitcases full of stock and sell it to private customers there, who were more interested in having something with the label in, and less interested that it was end of line.

I've been suspicious of the big Italian brands for a while - I think they do do some production in China then finish it in Italy.

I've bought quite abit of genuine designer clothing on eBay, but I too am suspicious of where some of it comes from, as you say its definately genuine. Could some of it be stolen?

and finally - I wouldn't be surprised if Marc by Marc Jacobs manufactured in China, so perhaps your coat is real.

all truth...you know what, I have a friend who works for the factory which they process cloth for high-end fashion brands in China, such as PRADA, DIOR HOMME (3 years ago, not now), MIUMIU, Paul Smith, Versace, KENZO Golf, Burberry Black, Blue label, EVISU, Fake London, DAKS, YSL, etc. Most of these garments will go back to their original place for finishing - replace the label to "MADE IN ITALY, FRANCE, JAPAN", Yes, that's it.

in short, You can get auth. items for a really good price from Aisa if you are lucky. well, still many fakes there as well. be careful.

To meister122, regarding your D&G, I can tell now all FAKE D&G come with the right tag with holographic authenticity sticker. We, as customers are not able to tell real or fake, or it's really hard to tell. They looks very real!

Also the LV bags, some mirror-image fakes are very "real", even some sales in LV boutique can't tell it's real or not, you have to ask for manager to authenticate it. -_-"

This is all just way too much stress to deal with. Forget eBay.

I can't even remember the last time I saw a good, authentic designer piece on that website for a good price...

Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places?

Originally posted by AlexN@Oct 13 2004, 02:31 PM
This is all just way too much stress to deal with.  Forget eBay.

I can't even remember the last time I saw a good, authentic designer piece on that website for a good price...

Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places?
[snapback]395991[/snapback]​

<admires genuine Chloe bracelet bag bought this week :innocent: >

I think it depends on what designer items you are looking for - if its wildly popular, thats when the counterfeiters move in, so the likes of Vuitton etc. can be tricky, but if like my bag, its got a lot of intricate handiwork that is difficult to copy, small or no logos and isn't so wildly known, you've a better chance of getting the real McCoy.

I used to work in Bangkok, about ten years ago and I loved Prada then, back in the day when most people had never heard of it. Could you get fake Prada in the nightmarket then? No. Too fringe, even though it is easy to copy, they didn't start making knock-offs until it got really popular.

They want easy money - they're not gonna bother copying unless its pretty much a dead cert that it'll sell.

I look for stuff like Comme de Garcons, Costume National Homme, and Helmut Lang, and there's just never anything worth buying, really. Last time I checked, at least. It's not that there's never good stuff; it's just that if there is, the price is still really high. It's either cheap fake crap or stuff that would be easier to buy in the boutique.

Originally posted by AlexN@Oct 13 2004, 02:49 PM
I look for stuff like Comme de Garcons, Costume National Homme, and Helmut Lang, and there's just never anything worth buying, really. Last time I checked, at least. It's not that there's never good stuff; it's just that if there is, the price is still really high. It's either cheap fake crap or stuff that would be easier to buy in the boutique.
[snapback]396018[/snapback]​

Perhaps its easier for women, many of the men who sell no ebay seem to be interested in Bape, dunks and er.....thats it.

You have good taste B) ......

hey, jus wondering, i hav converted and fallen to the ebay craze...i find it good for polo's and designer tops that u wouldn't find in perth. but is there an ebay thread somewhere...like a proper one, sorta not like this?

Statistics are needed to prove the point here. Elements of comparison are needed. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
haleyabhdisjsbw209
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->