Edie Sedgwick #3

^ Huh- I wonder how she was paying for it, it seemed like her family was not supporting her after a while and that's one of the most expensive parts of Manhattan....:unsure:

From what i remember in the Edie book she lived well while her family was supporting her but when they stopped she had to live with her friends.

So then I guess the infamous Chelsea fire was later on? That hotel was not a luxurious place to live back then, btw...:doh:

I'm re-reading "Edie- American Girl" now - there is a fascination I cannot escape. There are often mentioned photos of the whole Sedgwick family which were taken originally for Life Magazine. Does anybody have this photoshoot?

The photo shoot was scrapped for some reason and never ran. The only photos that have ever been released are in Edie: An American Girl and Girl On Fire by Melissa Painter and David Weisman. I think they're both the same photo of Fuzzy reading to all the children around the fire and pictures of the family lined up outside of a barn. There's some pretty good early photos of Edie in Girl on Fire. I bought it when it first came out and paid $40 for it. Now it's like $20. :rolleyes: Worth every penny though because it also comes with a CD of Edie's "last" interview which is basically just Edie talking, some of which was featured in Ciao! Manhattan.

So then I guess the infamous Chelsea fire was later on? That hotel was not a luxurious place to live back then, btw...:doh:

You're right. The first fire was at the apartment that I believe was featured in Vogue. The one that was in the photo where Edie is posed on her leather rhino, Wallow. Wallow burned up in the fire. After that, she moved to the Chelsea which was, as you so succinctly put it, not a luxurious place to live. :lol: Edie chose the Chelsea because all her friends stayed there and it was the hip/creative place to be. That's when her family cut her off. She still had some money from a trust fund or two but was put on a strict budget. I honestly don't think her family cut her off for a long period of time. It was more of a tough love thing to get her to straighten up and fly right. It didn't work of course!

There's a great book called In My Blood by one of Edie's relatives, John Sedgwick. He talks about Edie and her family in the book and it really sheds some light on her father, Fuzzy, and her mother. It doesn't feature a whole lot of new information about Edie but you definitely understand why she ended up the way she did.

I agree about her family not cutting her off for very long. I think she was living on her own in New York for less then a year before she ended up in Bellevue, then she went back to her family in California.

I posted one of these a while back, and no one thought they were Edie. I really didn't either. But now I've found another picture from the setf and the website said they were taken at the Factory in 1966 by Steve Shapiro who had taken many others pics of Edie, as I'm sure you all know. The website seems like a legitimate and trustworthy website because it's just giving samples of an Andy Warhol exhibit the gallery did. So now I'm wondering if these are really her and because of her hair and outfit (which doesn't look like something she would've worn, but I can't judge that) no one thought it was her? She would've still have blonde hair in early '66 because Lupe was in December '65 and she had bleached hair still... and judging by pictures in 1967, her hair was still short and just a light brown. Maybe it's just wishful thinking because I WANT it to be her as I love new Edie pics. What do you guys think?

07500_zps96b9fcc6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

^ that's the gallery website that looks like they should know what they're talking about. If you're going to have an exhibition, I would hope you are as knowledgeable as possible, which is what makes me believe this is Edie.

httpwwwvebidoodeanderspetersenandy_zpsbe8c6291.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited by a moderator:
If it were Edie she would have to be wearing a wig but it can't be Edie because she was never that curvy. It was taken by Jerry Schatzberg so it's probably one of his models.

^ That was my thought too; Edie had hips like a teenage boy...And her face looks way too full and oval for Edie, especially since she and Andy were on the outs after '65 and we have tons of pics after that time when she looked nothing like that...

I posted one of these a while back, and no one thought they were Edie. I really didn't either. But now I've found another picture from the setf and the website said they were taken at the Factory in 1966 by Steve Shapiro who had taken many others pics of Edie, as I'm sure you all know. The website seems like a legitimate and trustworthy website because it's just giving samples of an Andy Warhol exhibit the gallery did. So now I'm wondering if these are really her and because of her hair and outfit (which doesn't look like something she would've worn, but I can't judge that) no one thought it was her? She would've still have blonde hair in early '66 because Lupe was in December '65 and she had bleached hair still... and judging by pictures in 1967, her hair was still short and just a light brown. Maybe it's just wishful thinking because I WANT it to be her as I love new Edie pics. What do you guys think?

^ that's the gallery website that looks like they should know what they're talking about. If you're going to have an exhibition, I would hope you are as knowledgeable as possible, which is what makes me believe this is Edie.

[
I don't think that blog post is identifying the woman in the picture as Edie. The text at the top just says Andy Warhol. The pictures of Edie are followed by her name.

I'd venture a guess that the woman is Naomi Levine. She was Warhol's first female superstar who was around when he filmed "Sleep" (which is projected in the background). That was shot almost two years before Edie began hanging out at The Factory.

Last edited by a moderator:
And, another with Cara in Vogue China! Seems like a lot of fashion shoots want the Edie association...^_^

2b9o2d.jpg

So I've been watching Betsey Johnson's reality show on Style in hopes of seeing anything about Edie... Unfortunately, Betsey only mentioned her in the opening of the first episode. In Sunday's episode she and her partner are organizing a retrospective for a show in the future (This past January). She had vintage outfits she designed crumpled in boxes, which is so sad! I quickly recognized this mini:

lFTbkVp.jpg

style.com

7zqHGE8.jpg

onlyediesedgwick

I normally don't pay attention to anything Betsey does, otherwise I would have spotted this months ago! Of course, Edie wore it better!​

Edie in "Lupe"

Edie in "Space"

jt20042 @ youtube

NqcR04S.png

2dY10bF.png

JBX2ZbI.png

G7ks91S.png

yTrIeHb.png

Shunk-Kender © Roy Lichtenstein Foundation | rlfphotoarchives.org

Good eye Lupe! I wouldn't have recognized that Betsey Johnson dress! And thanks for the pictures!

large clear image of one of the photo booth strips
XfF5Nzx.jpg

cantonrep.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amywhiffen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->