Edward Enninful Departing British Vogue as EIC, Promoted to New Global Role within Condé Nast

Just found randomly this picture from 2011 and gasped: it's a bit like game of thrones.
Only Anna is still sitting comfortably on top at the same position after a decade.
Or to be precise: even higher.

All the other 17: Gone or lost their title.

Voguefestfull_2046380a.jpg
International Vogue editors unite for historic portrait in Tokyo

Led by US Vogue editor, Anna Wintour, 17 editors representing the 18 countries where Vogue is published (Conde Nast International's vice president and editorial director, Anna Harvey stood in for Greece and Brazil), posed together for an historic portrait.

It's the first time so many Vogue editors have been photographed together, with the big four - Anna Wintour, Vogue Italia's Franca Sozzani, Vogue Paris's Emmanuelle Alt and British Vogue's Alexandra Shulman - sitting centre stage. Vogue Nippon editor, Mitsuko Watanabe, stands hospitably behind Wintour.

(left-right:( Yolanda Sacristan, Spain (seated), Kirstie Clements Australia (middle), Anaita Adajania - India (back), Christiane Arp, Germany (seated), Angelica Cheung, China (standing), Franca Sozzani, Italy (seated _ dearly missed!)), Mitsuko Watanabe - Japan (standing), Anna Wintour, America (seated), Emmanuelle Alt - France (reclining), Alexandra Shulman - Britain (seated), Victoria Davydova, Russia (standing), Anna Harvey, representing Brazil and Greece (seated), Seda Domanic - Turkey (seated), Myung Hee Lee - Korea (seated), Rosalie Huang -Taiwan (standing), Eva Hughes, Mexico and Latin America (standing), Paula Mateus - Portugal (seated)

I never gave Naomi a single thought in all the years she’s been around but in the past, what, 5 years?, the way she forces her smug, one-dimensional presence into E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G, every project, show, event where she can remind everyone that she's 'qUeEn'.. none of her peers, certainly not Kate Moss, come off this desperate and starved for relevance and holding on to youth and a place in the hierarchy for dear life.. almost as if she thinks that by not doing that, the new generations will forget about her or will not understand just exactly what a powerful, influential and 'iconic' mega model she is. This 'I must be THE beauty queen!' beauty pageant complex is obviously not exclusive to her and I'm sure everyone who's profited from looks has it to some extent, but models that have brought more to fashion are certainly not getting away with plugging themselves into every project so my conspiracy theory that she knows too much and that's why we're subjected to her obnoxious presence will remain, there really is no other way. I don't know what her 'dues' are but her work is accessible to everyone, she just wasn't great, ever, so this 'Naomi's tribute to Naomi' that she performs with every appearance only makes me think of how strong the darker connections she proudly created for herself (Epstein, etc) remain.. :nailpolish:

Sounds to me as though people are trying to humble Naomi for being too ambitious, and a super that remains active in the industry and is moving with the times.

I think the only reason you can say that Kate apparently doesn't have a queen complex or move in an egocentric way is that Kate doesn't do press or socials and while Naomi does.

Otherwise, we don't actually know that for fact that Kate isn't egocentric. But what we do know is that Kate shot cover after cover for UK Vogue under Alexandra, Kate styled for Vogue (the 'styling' was basically her personal style in an editorial format which again was something we had seen 1001 times in countless magazines before), Kate knows her pull and started a model agency with her name, Kate introduced Lila to the industry but won't let us forget that a) Lila is her child and b) she's still active. Certainly some level of egocentric behaviour would be needed to not only take part in all these moves but to make them a success which she did. Ego exists in every single person who works in fashion. Yes, I said EVERY SINGLE PERSON even the lurkers and covert members on here. But more especially models. Some just own it, and others don't. And that's fine.

If you have a problem with Naomi feeding into the queen fandom, let's start a running list of other models, designers, photographers, editors (I mean we can run a 20-page thread on Anna Wintour alone!).

Only Anna is still sitting comfortably on top at the same position after a decade.

She outlived them all. I mean she even outlived Edward who was the strongest contender to the US Vogue throne.

She outlived them all. I mean she even outlived Edward who was the strongest contender to the US Vogue throne.

it's a little bit scary.

maybe she's the first KI in disguise and her mission is the humiliation of humankind :rofllaughing:

Maybe Campbell doesn't know to live out of the public eye . Sad . Her very retouched ... Will not offer anything new

Sounds to me as though people are trying to humble Naomi for being too ambitious, and a super that remains active in the industry and is moving with the times.

I think the only reason you can say that Kate apparently doesn't have a queen complex or move in an egocentric way is that Kate doesn't do press or socials and while Naomi does.

Otherwise, we don't actually know that for fact that Kate isn't egocentric. But what we do know is that Kate shot cover after cover for UK Vogue under Alexandra, Kate styled for Vogue (the 'styling' was basically her personal style in an editorial format which again was something we had seen 1001 times in countless magazines before), Kate knows her pull and started a model agency with her name, Kate introduced Lila to the industry but won't let us forget that a) Lila is her child and b) she's still active. Certainly some level of egocentric behaviour would be needed to not only take part in all these moves but to make them a success which she did. Ego exists in every single person who works in fashion. Yes, I said EVERY SINGLE PERSON even the lurkers and covert members on here. But more especially models. Some just own it, and others don't. And that's fine.

If you have a problem with Naomi feeding into the queen fandom, let's start a running list of other models, designers, photographers, editors (I mean we can run a 20-page thread on Anna Wintour alone!).

Not in my case, I don't care about humbling others if that means they're sticking around :lol:.. it's the lack of room to appreciate or at least feel nostalgic about her work instead of wondering if it was ever good at all. And she's not moving organically with the times. She's something like the Sheryl Crow of the 90s, very one-note and yes very relevant back then but a Sheryl Crow duet with Dua Lipa in 2023 wouldn't be exactly 'oh Dua Lipa must be dying to get those Sheryl Crow fans'. Naomi's basically borrowed the Madonna template of anchoring her relevancy to newcomers by publicly elevating herself above them but making it seem like it's a privilege to have the Naomi stamp of approval bestowed upon them, all while she uses their place in the zeitgeist (including every opportunity they're invited to) to renew and expand her relevancy (something she does with every black model and her patronizing 'I approve of you').

I never said Kate was not egocentric, or that Naomi was egocentric. But if that's important, yes, everyone has an ego (and no, it is not exclusive to people 'who work in fashion'), and most people, sadly, only ever learn how to nurture and validate it through profession (reason why for some no job=suicidal/identity crisis). In the case of those in the public eye, there are people who are trained to manage how their egos are perceived by the public, some PR agents center exclusivity or a highly dignified personality, or hide/embellish tantrum-prone personalities typical of some actors/models. None of that seems to exist in crafting Naomi's image as a 'legendary' model, she would force an appearance in the reality show of a tiktoker if she learned 3 big names in fashion are guests and she's not.

It's not about whether she 'owns' it, I don't see why would someone deny that they have an ego lol. It's how she's able to carry out these needs into fruition and basically invite herself into everything, which CAN'T be done on your own but through the support of others and something about her body of work (inferior to many models, from Iman to Kate) and how random but consistent her appearances are... it doesn't add up.

I'm not sure the queen fandom is a problem, it's how she does it but yes, that's quite hilarious on its own. I'm actually with VERNIQUE on what she said about Meisel earlier: that adulation is relatively recent and I get it, he's photographed big models and we have a lot of model stans here, but the Meisel altar still cracks me up. I take Anna's monopoly a bit more seriously and I think she has been pretty nocive to fashion in irreversible ways, in her day job in publications, but the critical extent of her damage is the way she's bullied and determined the path for designers over the years.

[Anna] outlived them all. I mean she even outlived Edward who was the strongest contender to the US Vogue throne.

That sentence is sadly literal, considering Franca died (may she rest in peace).

It's deeply ironic that Vogue as a business and as a magazine (in all editions) is floundering so badly in an age when fashion itself is more popular than ever. It's become the peanut gallery's new form of entertainment with every teenager and their auntie who can use google - and there are fewer these days btw- calling themselves a "fashion historian" and "archivist" for having an ig page full of uncredited photos and thinking they're owed something for it, or naming some brands a celebrity wears, or calling three year old clothes "archive".
And as for Vogue's own standards.....I've seen outright wrong info on the websites of both British and American Vogue and way too many typos to count, even when not in the "let me project my feelings into an article for Vogue when what I really need is a shrink" articles (no one gives a sh-t about your identity crisis or whatever new issue you've made up to be bellyaching about) and the handful of good writers they did have, fleeing to earn more doing other things. Shameful that a brand that once positioned itself as the publication of record and THE last word on fashion, is reduced to this and to grubbing for approval from the followers of internet microcelebrities. They could have used their celebrity access to create more engaging videos (and things like What's in my Bag for BV or 73 Questions for AmeriVogue were on the right track), or done SOMETHING with the fact that fashion editors were among the earliest internet microcelebrities via street style websites... but just dropped that ball too.

Last edited:
True, but why do I feel like Edward has retirement savings and investments that will better help him actually survive into old age successfully? He's not going to end up in a feud with someone like the CEO of Manolo Blahnik and owe unpaid rent.
ALT Tried to live like his idol Mrs Vreeland

vogue in couple years will be just one vogue redistributed with some local settings all over the world... thats the way they are going to survive... EIC will not make more sense... about Naomi, after she survived Epstein, no one will stop her, sadly... she knows a lot and about everybody... Edward will be fine, but he was not lucrative for Conde Nast, my guess is much more simple

People are so devastated at the thought of Edward moving on that half the thread is a debate about the merits of Naomi Campbell.

In 2023, she might have all the range of a well-preserved waxwork, but there's something about her ability to persist in the industry long enough to see things change in her favour, if you consider how covers and contracts would have been allocated in 1993 or 2003. I'm not saying she didn't get any work, but decades later, to see yourself as the last remaining supermodel still on the scene and on the cover of multiple Vogues, that must come with some satisfaction.

but there's something about her ability to persist in the industry long enough to see things change in her favour,
Yes, it's the power of knowing too much! (gotta get this empty theory rolling because yes, feel nothing about Edward at Vogue or Edward not at Vogue :rofllaughing:).

Not mad he’s on the way out. Personally, I found his work pre-editor in chief position was far superior than his work at British Vogue, so I am interested to see what he does next!

He will be fine financially with his side gigs and I can’t say his work at British Vogue is ever very exciting outside of the magazine’s cover reveals.

I found the actual magazine was often a real slog to get through (always the most boring profiles and chastising articles sandwiched between H&M ads, you know?!). His commitment to diversity and inclusion is absolutely something to commend and is a great legacy that will surely be continued.

But yeah if I didn’t ever need to read another snoozefest profile about curvy model X or celebrity Y learning to love their bodies or whatever, I’d be ok. Sometimes I just want to read a fabulous write-up of someone living a fabulous life full of fabulous—albeit frivolous—little details accompanied by a fabulous photo spread, of course! It’s a fashion magazine! I want some fantasy…. some escapism!

I do love Condé Nasty drama though lol

It sounds like someone :innocent: should make a Fashion Conspiracy Theories thread. I think it would be highly entertaining!!! :lol:
All the anon accounts will come out of the woodworks hunnn

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katiepeaches
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->