Ellen von Unwerth - Photographer

Estella*

a dim capacity for wings
Reaction score
i felt we should have this thread and i would like to know what you think of her work...
i myself find it very predictable and boring, she is always creating this femme fatal-girly-sex-kitten stereotype, willfully of course, but i don't see the point of it. a bit of helmut newton but without the edge, etc. etc.
then there are those riefenstahl-inspired 'deutsche mädel' series that give you a certain shock, maybe, but without any deeper effect...?

all that said i admit that i occasionally fall in love with one or two of her images, because she is a good photographer after all.
here is one that i love:

from www.eart.ne.jp/

Attachments

• ellen.jpg
    ellen.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 115
I really like ehr stuff, I like her version of the femme fatal/sex kitten beacuase it has adittued and creativety behind it.

95000_24.jpg

65306_2R.jpg
991020_2.jpg

94994_3R.jpg

I hope nobody minds a little nipple:ninja:

www.staleywise.com

the hole cover i have to like^_^, i had it on my wall for ages.
thanks for posting the pictures, spacemiu.
i don't know, i don't feel the creativity, it's all too cute, i get the feeling of having eaten too much icecream....

Ellen von Unwerth is a Teutonic who is fond of flash, and grainy film.

She is like a neo-Helmut Newton with less of the aesthetic.

Spacemiu said:
first picture from post #4. <edit: please don't quote pictures>

This is very Jeanloup Sieff.

Last edited by a moderator:
bump...i see this hasnt been touched in about 3 weeks but i know *i* would love to hear more opinions about her work. i'm not a fan of her stuff b/c as the first poster stated, i find it predictable and uninteresting. it seems that she's trying too hard with a lot of her stuff. like i get the impression i SHOULD be shocked or something but i'm not :( can someone who is a fan of hers explain why they like her, so that i perhaps better see the appeal?

I like her photos because it always looks like there's something going on. You can tell she has good interaction with her models. I see them more as sophisticated snap shots.

ok, I like her for lots of uncool, uneducated reasons. I just like the final product. I think they're really lovely to look at and usually always have a fun element.

Here are some I like (not my favourites, but what I have on my computer)

Attachments

• evu20010401a009.jpg
    evu20010401a009.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 3,216
  • evu20040128a001.jpg
    evu20040128a001.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 63
  • evu20040101d009.jpg
    evu20040101d009.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 84
  • evu20040128a005.jpg
    evu20040128a005.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 56
Last edited by a moderator:
:lol::heart:
i always like things for uncool uneducated reasons...
i appreciate your explanation, stilista, i guess if all her pictures were pleasant to look at for me, i would like her, too:D

Ellen von Unwerth

barone11-26-29.jpg

Ellen von Unwerth

http://www.artandcommerce.com/

Ellen von Unwerth was born in Germany in the mid 1950's. She worked in a circus as assistant to the knife thrower and worked as a model ... [more]

source: http://www.staleywise.com

leopard.jpg

2nudes.jpg

there is a LOT more to see, but kind of difficult to find online, anyways
she is one of my favorite photographers, she just has an unique style ...

welcome here, grayspine:flower:
in the future please do a search before you start a new thread, there's a good chance we have it already^_^

anna karina said:
welcome here, grayspine:flower:
in the future please do a search before you start a new thread, there's a good chance we have it already^_^

hello uhh.. thats what i did, but it didn't find anything.. :blink: so thats why i started the the tread lol :innocent:

I agree with you, annak. I think her work is totally uninspired and lacking. It's like she's been shoving the same cliche down our throats for 15 years. What is she up to these days? I think Interview is really the only magazine that uses her anymore.

metal-on-metal said:
I agree with you, annak. I think her work is totally uninspired and lacking. It's like she's been shoving the same cliche down our throats for 15 years. What is she up to these days? I think Interview is really the only magazine that uses her anymore.

She was/is shooting the Guess? adverts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->