Established Designers That You Just Don't "get"?

Great Topic.

I would have to disagree with your post on Cavalli. I've actually enjoyed the majority of his more recent collections- and even some "vintage" pieces as well.

As for the rest that you mentioned, someone else brought this up but it really is all "avant-garde". So I may not particularly like certain designs that these designers put out, nor would I ever buy it, it's different and it's art. There is a lot of art I don't like and a lot that I do. That's what happens when the world is full of artists you get creations that sometimes aren't great but sometimes are. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :smile:

I can't believe how many of you don't get Prada. I understand that it confuses some people why her clothes are deemed so "desirable". Some things are plain ugly. I love it! There is always this struggle. I can"t get enough!

The designers I don't "get" are a lot of the Japanese designers. One of the being Yohji Yamamoto.

My credo in fashion is that it should be a spiritual, wearable experience. Simple? Oh, well...

Yamamoto's designs imo seem rather passe. Kill me, but I cannot relate to outlandish designs, which are different from eccentric.

Edit: Rei kawakubo, we love you!:heart:

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with this:

finalfashion said:
I Don't Get:

Marc Jacobs Love his shoes... but the clothes are derivative and unflattering. His stuff for Louis Vuitton looks like he second-rate ideas. The only show Jacobs consistently shines in is his Marc by Marc Jacobs... he almost always gets it right.

Donatella Versace But I know she has been struggling for a few seasons and seems to be getting back in the game. The connection to her own look and personality is so strong its hard for me to get past it.

Comme Des Garcons More and more so. I thought I got the distressed sweaters and black baggy stuff she showed in the eighties, but she's lost me with the Rolling Stones motifs this season. And when she talks - !? She shares a category with Vivienne Westwood here I'm afraid... the Used To Be Way Cooler/Should Not Be Interviewed. I do admire Rei Kawukubo's business innovations, though.

Michael Kors Is it just me or does he send out the same collection every season? If he uses a camo print it's a comment on war? Give me a break.

John Galliano I literally love him and hate him in the same breath. At least he gets me confused in an excited way.

Karl Lagerfield Here is a case of where I think he's often (not as often as they say) Clever but if he keeps popping up like a greasy wack-a-mole I am going to hurl. Overexposed and not as great as I hear he is. He is clever though. I'll give him that.

Muicca Prada Another Clever individual who is not quite as All That as her reputation would have us think she is. She does have an astute eye but I get bored with her shows. I don't know why. Watching a Prada show usually makes me want to wear something completely opposite. It's a mystery. I know that the shoes are ugly and the bags are ugly and somehow That's The Point but I Don't Get It!

I think I've covered a bit of everything here, bring it on, People!

ps. Margiala for Diesel!?? Is there a thread for that somewhere, Faust? Sounds interesting to me.

must add that I do not get nor like Cavalli. :sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::yuk:

Prada is a big corporate copy-cat....what's not understandable is how she get's so much praise for stealing quirky ideas from smaller designers. I've been looking at her collections over the last few years,and I could list off a few notable talents she's ripped off.

KhaoticKharma said:
Tara @ Immitation of Christ- Anything she can do... Guess? can do better.

That's a good one, I gotta remember that :lol:

Scott said:
Prada is a big corporate copy-cat....what's not understandable is how she get's so much praise for stealing quirky ideas from smaller designers. I've been looking at her collections over the last few years,and I could list off a few notable talents she's ripped off.

I agree w/ your big corporate copy-cat idea...What smaller designers & notable talents do you have in mind?
:flower:

Pastry said:
The designers I don't "get" are a lot of the Japanese designers. One of the being Yohji Yamamoto.

My credo in fashion is that it should be a spiritual, wearable experience. Simple? Oh, well...

Yamamoto's designs imo seem rather passe. Kill me, but I cannot relate to outlandish designs, which are different from eccentric.

:huh: If anything, Yohji is one of the most 'spiritual, wearable' experiences one can find in clothing...there's nothing outlandish about his designs for the most part. Maybe he's passe because he doesn't really follow or set the trends everyone else in fashion is doing...but he's managed to give us a unique view of fashion that I find romantic, elegant, and understated while at the same time meticulously detailed and awe inspiring in the construction.

If you are just looking for wearable, well made 'simple' clothing, I can think of no line better than his Y's diffusion label...

And back to the original question...

John Richmond and Andrew Mackenzie are designers i really don't see the appeal in...i was looking at the stuff on Luisa Via Roma for the former and saw literally no redeeming qualities. I'd much rather wear Dolce & Gabbana or DSquared than these two.

^

Bernhard,Marjan Pejoski(those gimmicky tricks resembled his skeleton pins ALOT),Jurgi Persoons(remember that quirky 40's,50's sophisticate phase a few seasons ago?). There's others but for the sake of getting flack,I'll leave it. And it's not like many who sort of get inspired...it's usually quite literal and anybody who knows certain designers,as the aforementioned, can tell off the bat.

Yeah I don't get Michael Kors either...walked by his boutique in Hong Kong during lunch one day and just went "ewwwww" at the stuff in there.

Pastry said:
I can't believe how many of you don't get Prada. I understand that it confuses some people why her clothes are deemed so "desirable". Some things are plain ugly. I love it! There is always this struggle. I can"t get enough!

Edit: Rei kawakubo, we love you!:heart:

Maybe you haven´t seen his clothes in person, but they are incredibly modern and contemporary to me... he´s without doubt a master in pattern cutting, and that doesn´t solely translate into crazy showpieces like the dinosaur dress from this season... but yeah, it takes attitude and effort to appreciate his clothes, not everybody could pull them off.

finalfashion said:
I Don't Get:

Marc Jacobs Love his shoes... but the clothes are derivative and unflattering. His stuff for Louis Vuitton looks like he second-rate ideas. The only show Jacobs consistently shines in is his Marc by Marc Jacobs... he almost always gets it right.

Particularly after this season, I strongly suspect Marc has absolutely nothing to do with Marc by Marc, except as it's influenced by his past work. If you notice what happened for spring, it was the only one of his women's lines that showed continuity. That tells me he didn't touch it.

Btw, the clothes are not necessarily unflattering. Challenging to wear, maybe, but that's different.

Clemence said:
imitation of christ. :(

I :heart:

Undeniably attention seeking and obviously vying for controvesy as it may be, there is a morbid fascination i have with Tara and the edge she brings to fashion week.. the unpredictability of the show.. shes almost the galliano of NYFW, I mean who else would stick a denim penis on a garment and get away with it? By the way, Scarlette looked superb, her body is ridiculously gorgeous, shes a real woman with figure..if Chloe Sevingy can do Dolce Gabanna and Christina Ricci Louis Vuitton why shouldnt Johanson have a peice of IOC?

The show had some fabulous peices but the negative reaction overshadowed that.

Not to be rude, but i find alot of Milan-based labels beyond tacky and laughable, Donatella's line prime example. Dolce Gabanna never reached beyond mediocre IMO and the rest seem to recycle the same concept each season with modifications (Missoni, Fendi by Lagerfeild)...i wonder why Milan has more credibility than London.

fashionista-ta said:
Particularly after this season, I strongly suspect Marc has absolutely nothing to do with Marc by Marc, except as it's influenced by his past work. If you notice what happened for spring, it was the only one of his women's lines that showed continuity. That tells me he didn't touch it.

Btw, the clothes are not necessarily unflattering. Challenging to wear, maybe, but that's different.

Hm, I didn't know that. Thanks, fashionista-ta!
Still not sure that I "get" Marc Jacobs.

I don't get: Clothes that are Challenging To Wear.

Just put it on and wear it, right?
:lol:

if something is difficult or awkward, how could it flatter? I don't understand.

Fade to Black said:
Yeah I don't get Michael Kors either...walked by his boutique in Hong Kong during lunch one day and just went "ewwwww" at the stuff in there.

I agree. His clothes aren't really geared toward anybody but rich socialites or socialite-wannabe's with an extremely snobbishly conservative wardrobe. It's really like a higher end St. John by Marie Gray,really.

DavidEdwards said:
I :heart:

Undeniably attention seeking and obviously vying for controvesy as it may be, there is a morbid fascination i have with Tara and the edge she brings to fashion week.. the unpredictability of the show.. shes almost the galliano of NYFW, I mean who else would stick a denim penis on a garment and get away with it? By the way, Scarlette looked superb, her body is ridiculously gorgeous, shes a real woman with figure..if Chloe Sevingy can do Dolce Gabanna and Christina Ricci Louis Vuitton why shouldnt Johanson have a peice of IOC?

The show had some fabulous peices but the negative reaction overshadowed that.

I'm sorry but that marriage was a match made in heaven. Two of the most overrated,overhyped individuals collaborating together.

But celebs aside,I'm not quite sure you've really given a valid point of what to get about Tara. Shock tactics and silly gimmicks is what makes her so interesting?? I thought actually making beautiful clothes is what rendered a designer truly talented. And if you were to take those individual pieces away,I think you too would feel her lack of design talent....that's some really bland tripe. It's almost Wal-Mart quality.

00300m.jpg

[style.com]

There are alot of things one could call Tara Subkoffs designing, and 'talented' is not one of them, I'm afraid. :innocent:

finalfashion said:
Hm, I didn't know that. Thanks, fashionista-ta!
Still not sure that I "get" Marc Jacobs.

I don't get: Clothes that are Challenging To Wear.

Just put it on and wear it, right?
:lol:

if something is difficult or awkward, how could it flatter? I don't understand.

What can I tell you except I was wearing MJ when I wrote this, and it was both challenging and flattering at the same time. I know there are others who know what I'm talking about as we've discussed this before ... perhaps someone can chime in & explain better than I.

And btw, I used to get MJ, but I don't get his S/S 06 in the very least. I utterly despised both the MJ and LV collections. Loved both collections for fall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtletulip413
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->