Facials

As You Like It

Proponent of Plaid
Reaction score
I've never had a facial, probably won't because I'm not really much of a primp-n-preen girl, but I am curious about them, as I have noticed that quite a few people have mentioned them in regards to skincare threads and in the "what I'm craving" thread.

So, what happens at a facial? I recall hearing something about steaming, and exfoliating...and what was that about extracting blackheads? Is this something akin to high-tech zit popping? Why deny yourself the fun? (yes, I am evil, bad, disgusting, and gross, and do squeeze my pimples when they get really annoying or are in an inconvenient location, like below the nose-pads of my glasses)

So, what usually takes place during a facial, what products do they use, and what does it cost? Does it really make a big difference?

I just got my first facial done the other day. It was fourty-five minutes and cost fourty-five dollars. They also had a more expensive version which cost eighty-five (too over my budget for now). I had my eyes closed for most of time so I can't tell you in detail what was done, but it was definately very effective. I remember spending most of my time with a hot towel over my eyes having creams of some sort applied. I also had to fill out a questionnaire before hand about my skin type. They asked some rather strange questions like does your complexion have red undertones and noticeable capilliaries. Since I had never really thought about any of this before the lady basically filled them out for me. I then had to choose between several different scents which were to be used during my facial. When I finally got home I felt very cleansed and relaxed. My pores also felt a lot smaller and my mum told me that my skin glowed. I would definately like to get it done again when I have the money. :flower:

facials are amazing.
its not so much about being a sissy but more of a hygiene thing just like exfoliating while under the shower..
thats how i see it anyway :wink:
even though 'you' might not see blackheads or anything of this sort. skin needs to be cleansed thoroughly every now and then.

i would recommend you have one... you will see a big difference after the facial. and make sure to do it before you go home since skin might be red after all that 'playing', 'squeezing' and 'pampering' it :flower:

Oh, this is my area as I'm going to work with this in the future. I'm sorry if my English is not that good.

You can do several different types of facials from a basic cleaning to a long 3-hour luxury facial (which involves more).

Anyway, they start by look at your skin through a large magnifying glass . They often chit-chat about what your beauty rutines are and what products you use.

Then they do the cleaning, taking away dead skin. They massage your face and give your skin a peeling (this depends on what kind of facial), they can take care of pores and pimples but as they are professionals it don't feel that much. They open the pores with .. can't find the word now :unsure:

They end by applying a moisturizing creame. A facial can include eyebrow plucking and the long ones can include foot massage, manicure, pedicure and so on.

Originally posted by beiby@Feb 22nd, 2004 - 1:12 pm

Anyway, they start by look at your skin through a large magnifying glass . They often chit-chat about what your beauty rutines are and what products you use.

Then they do the cleaning, taking away dead skin. They massage your face and give your skin a peeling (this depends on what kind of facial), they can take care of pores and pimples but as they are professionals it don't feel that much. They open the pores with .. can't find the word now :unsure:
Your description sounds a lot like what I got for my facial. :flower:

I had my first facial this past December, and for some reason...I wasn't impressed. I expected my face to be glowing and all the bit when I got out, but it wasn't as extensive as I had expected.

It lasted about forty-five minutes, and felt nice...but I didn't see the benefits I had hoped. I just assume use a face peal, steam my face for ten minutes, and apply lotion on my own at home. To me it's worth both my money AND my time. :blush:

It seems to me that facials vary so much depending on the products used and the person providing the facial that to discuss them in such general terms is not really helpful. I would suggest that anyone considering a facial call various salons and discuss the details directly. :flower:

Does anyone know of a good (nationwide?) place to get a facial. I live in Arizona. I've never had one before, so I have no clue where to go. I need someone who is really good at extractions (blackheads!). Thanks.

At Saks Fifth Avenue, they give out monthy facials by appointment at Clarins free with purchase so you might want to call the Saks nearest you, Im not sure if they give out extraction or not, oh well me and my mom have to wait three more weeks to find out!

The department store facials are mainly a skin massage, they are being offered solely to promote their line. Marketing purposes only! no extractions or deep cleaning of any sort. If you are looking for a deep facial, getting rid of white heads, blackheads, and any impuruties I suggest finding a reputable salon in your area. I unfortunately can't be of any help. I'm in Chicago. Good Luck.

Try Loews Hotel. We have one here in LA and they have a good spa that does fantastic facials. The massage, pedi and manicure is good too.
Good luck.

Thanks! I'll look into those places. Kora - I'm actually moving to Chicago in December :woot: I can't wait!

What is a Facial?

Just wondering....isn't it hot steam on your face or something? :/

There are many different types, normal facials are just cleansing treatments for the face, usually done with a substance, not just steam.

Just get one! :flower: I would recommend first trying one at a beauty school. You'll pay only a fraction of the cost of getting one done at the salon or spa, and you can test the waters to see if you like it. I get mine done at a beauty school, and it's every ounce as fabulous as getting it down at a higher-cost location.

Dermalogica facials changed my skin for the better ... I try to have a Summer and Winter facial .... really enjoying my "Tiuu Kuik" skin

I really feel like having one. Just for the fun (and pampering) of it. Never had problems with my skin, actually I have pretty nice skin...but I really need pampering.

Some people hate facials because they think it makes your skin break out -but in face facials just cause the dirt to come to the surface and cause spots that would have happened anyway to happen quicker -it is the side effect of deep cleansing. After a course, this shouldn't happen any more. Of course it is a lot of £££ but then people waste their money on manicures which I don't get the point of at all. Facials are a better investment for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamon53
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->