Fall/Winter 2013.14 - One Of The Worst Seasons Ever?

MyNameIs

Reaction score
Is it just me or has this season been absolutely dreadful for collections? I don't hold myself out as a fashion historian or expert, but in the few years I've been following fashion, this is by far the worst season I can recall. Gucci, YSL, Chanel, Givenchy, Oscar de la Renta, Versace, Burberry and many others - just awful across the board. And I'm not even counting shows like Tom Ford which seems to have garnered a love or hate response (I personally loved it). These are major fashion houses with established designers behind the helm, and seemingly all decided to showcase the worst that they can produce.

Ok so I just saw the YSL collection and... Oh my God! My capacities of expression are blocked! This just so SAD! We can just laugh at HOW TERRIBLE this season have been!
You can add to the list Alexander McQueen too!

Well if you limit your scope to the same major houses (i.e. Gucci, Chanel..etc) you may miss the gems from other designers.

In addition to Balenciaga I loved Proenza, Philip Lim & Threeasfour to name a few.

For the most part of the big fashion houses, it was terrible, indeed. The good stuff that came out was from smaller designers and didn't really have much exposure (take for example the Delpozo collection, which wasn't even featured in any major fashion publications, which beats Givenchy, Balmain, mVersace and etc out of the freaking water).

Not really. A lot of shows were disappointing, but also a lot of shows were amazing. Like every other season, honestly.

Is it just me or has this season been absolutely dreadful for collections? I don't hold myself out as a fashion historian or expert, but in the few years I've been following fashion, this is by far the worst season I can recall. Gucci, YSL, Chanel, Givenchy, Oscar de la Renta, Versace, Burberry and many others - just awful across the board. And I'm not even counting shows like Tom Ford which seems to have garnered a love or hate response (I personally loved it). These are major fashion houses with established designers behind the helm, and seemingly all decided to showcase the worst that they can produce.

Plus Fendi - 100& agreement

during watching the shows my thoughts were "are you kidding me? "

i think, the world economic crisis is accompanied by a fashion depression - everything is suffering burnout

I'd have to disagree with you, while few of the big brands, imo Versace, SLP and Givenchy didn't deliver this season, most of the younger designers and probably half of those major fashion houses like Dior, Balenciaga and Celine stunned me. I think there's a lot of creativity involved and fashion is finally taking off somewhere, slowly moving from the stale phase we've been in since 2011 and looking towards the future.

I feel like there's a huge contrast this season at the big houses. There are great ones (Prada, Jil Sander, Valentino, Dior, Balenciaga) and there are very, very bad ones (Gucci, YSL, Versace, Chanel). Not many in between.

I think last season was much worse. Though there were some shocking disappointments at big houses this season.
Prada, Dior, Saint Laurent to name the most boring.

For me last season was absolutely woeful and dull to the nth degree. I don't think this season has been anywhere near as bad so long as you look beyond the larger houses. Versace and YSL were both complete calamities, and worse than anything I remember seeing last season, though.

I actually think last season was worse (it's been a bad few seasons if you ask me). Yes some of the top players failed to deliver this season, but the ones that were good, were amazing (and not only in comparison). I think the brilliance of collections like Proenza Schouler, Prada, Celine, Haider Ackermann, Dior, Bottega Veneta, and Comme des Garcons', outshine the short comings of Burberry, Givenchy, Gucci, and the trash at SLP and Versace. In the end it was a season of huge disappointments and triumphant victories, like every season of recent years.

Definitely not. Like people have said, don't base the entire season on the massive failures of certain big houses.

I saw way more good than bad this season.

Milan fashion week was one of the strongest I've seen from that city.

Witout Hussein surprise, Miuccia eternal realness, Philo amazingness and Wangs new take, I wouldnt even care about this season. Very bad indeed.

I really just think it lays in individuals opinions, I think this season is a million times better than last season, but that might just be me.

Definitely not. Like people have said, don't base the entire season on the massive failures of certain big houses.

I saw way more good than bad this season.

Milan fashion week was one of the strongest I've seen from that city.
I definitely agree about Milan. I normally think Milan is grossly overrated and can't wait until it's over, but this season was actually really good I thought.

I think it's easy to look back through years-and-years of collections and romanticise how it always used to be better, but normally it's a case of remembering the good, while the bad collections fade from memory.

I'm not saying the last few seasons have been great, and honestly, I think creativity has been somewhat stifled by the recession, but I'm sure we get this thread every season, and while this year hasn't been vintage by any stretch of the imagination, I'm not feeling anywhere near as disappointed as I was last season.

For the most part of the big fashion houses, it was terrible, indeed. The good stuff that came out was from smaller designers and didn't really have much exposure (take for example the Delpozo collection, which wasn't even featured in any major fashion publications, which beats Givenchy, Balmain, mVersace and etc out of the freaking water).
It's the opposite with me. I usually pay more attention to smaller designers and I can count on some of them to produce stellar collections season after season, but this time round quite a few of them were complete letdowns - Tess Giberson, Gary Graham and AF Vandevorst were some that I thought were unusually bland. I was pleasantly surprised by some of the big houses that I usually don't enjoy as much. Some designers put on a great show even if the collection wasn't such a highlight (loved the Marc Jacobs and Prada runway shows). At the same time we have definitely witnessed some of the worst fashion disasters in a long time this season - Rodarte, Tom Ford and Givenchy were especially awful. But I don't think this season was particularly worse than others, I just felt that it was so unexpected and there were many positive, as well as very negative surprises. That in itself is actually pretty exciting, fashion shouldn't ever be predictable and I found that there was more room for creativity and spectacle than in previous seasons. I think this at least will be a memorable season!

In all my years on fashionspot, I have seen sooooooooo many collections, this season was hands down the worst LOL.

Im with HeatherAnne, Rosalynn and Psylocke. Milan was refreshingly good, but the big house were polarized. Many produced heinous collections, YSL taking the cake there but others were ON POINT; Prada, Jill etc. What struck me is that many of the small designers truly disappointed, whereas other seasons they produce the gems this season many-a-meeeh..
However I saw s t u n n i n g clothes again like every season, dresses that make me wish I could grow t*ts and call myself a woman cos men's fashion is suuuuch a bore.B)

EDT: Oh and as Psylocke mentioned; please guys check out the Delpozo collection. Fashion is not dead you see...

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cstmbres
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->