Fashion Communications

luvotomy

Reaction score
My friend is planning to go into this but she's getting all this mixed ideas about it. I told her it's like styling, PR work, etc. but I wouldn't know because I'm getting mixed up about Fashion Merchandising so can anyone help?

Just an explanation of what careers Fashion Communications can offer would help her a lot. Thanks! ^_^

Course description of Fashion Communication from Ryerson University:

Specialization in Fashion Communication also begins in second year. Business-related courses in areas such as marketing, business, communication, fashion in international markets, fashion and society are combined with professional studies in communication design, illustration, typography, curation and exhibition, photography, video production and fashion journalism to produce a graduate who can work in all areas of fashion communication. Through the selection of elective courses in second, third and fourth year, students may elect to pursue a minor or to otherwise customize their elective package to focus on their individual career objectives. Students also work in teams to produce a series of fashion events culminating in the year-end fashion presentation, attended by over 3,500 people, including industry and media representatives.

I would think that something in advertising would be the 'ideal' career with this background.

Hope that helps! :flower:

Course description of Fashion Communication from Ryerson University:

I would think that something in advertising would be the 'ideal' career with this background.

Hope that helps! :flower:

Thanks!

I looked at the curriculum at that university and it had courses like Visual Communications and I saw at FIDM that careers if you take that are careers like Fashion Stylist, Creative Director, etc. That's like advertising right? A fashion stylist or creative director works at fashion shows, store displays, advertisments, etc.

Fashion stylists work either for individual clients, or on photo shoots choosing the clothes for the models. It's a very hands-on job.
Creative directors oversee the branding and advertising and make sure it all works together. It's more of an executive position.

Fashion stylists work either for individual clients, or on photo shoots choosing the clothes for the models. It's a very hands-on job.
Creative directors oversee the branding and advertising and make sure it all works together. It's more of an executive position.

I know what they are, it's just that when I looked at the curriculum, it included the course Visual Communications and at FIDM you can major in that. And FIDM also tells you about careers you can get into if you major in that so I'm guessing that's something you can do.

You said that Fashion Communications is like advertising.
Stylists, work for clients or on photoshoots for models to model. Sounds like advertising.
Creative directors, from what you said, it's advertising.

Lol, I'm still really confused. I know what "Communications" is without the Fashion part. It's like PR, journalism, etc. Making a company look good. So :P If there's a website on this specifically, I'd love the link. :heart:

By the sound of it fashion communications is simply a communications degree aimed at people wanting to end up in the fashion industry, and so has more tailored information to suit people wanting to work in these areas.

There is no role of 'fashion communicator' in magazines obviously, and so it is simply a broad range of skills, the same as a communications degree, such as advertising/ marketing/ journalism etc.. but instead of being asked to write about conflicts in Iraq, for example, they will write about conflicts within public trading fashion companies... ETC (obvuisly not this dumb.. but just trying to illustrate). As i said this course does not lead straight into a role.. but she would be in the same boat no matter what she wanted to do in the magazine industry. as such, there is no 'magazine course' and so this course will simply teach her the basics of the general industry... she will have to do the rest of the work herself in internships etc.

this sounds much better than a simple communications course however, and will look better on paper.

if she wants to be a stylist, though, this will be of no use to her.

By the sound of it fashion communications is simply a communications degree aimed at people wanting to end up in the fashion industry, and so has more tailored information to suit people wanting to work in these areas.

There is no role of 'fashion communicator' in magazines obviously, and so it is simply a broad range of skills, the same as a communications degree, such as advertising/ marketing/ journalism etc.. but instead of being asked to write about conflicts in Iraq, for example, they will write about conflicts within public trading fashion companies... ETC (obvuisly not this dumb.. but just trying to illustrate). As i said this course does not lead straight into a role.. but she would be in the same boat no matter what she wanted to do in the magazine industry. as such, there is no 'magazine course' and so this course will simply teach her the basics of the general industry... she will have to do the rest of the work herself in internships etc.

this sounds much better than a simple communications course however, and will look better on paper.

if she wants to be a stylist, though, this will be of no use to her.

I know there no "direct" way into the magazine industry but she just wanted to know what education she would need for the industry.

Actually, I looked at Ryerson's (who offers a fashion communications program) academic programs and they said careers if you take Fashion Communications DO include a stylist. It makes sense if you think about it.

Thanks for you help!

Except that ... every working stylist I know got into it without any formal education. It's just not needed. Not Communcations courses, not design courses, not marketing courses or advertising courses and not even styling courses ... none of those prepare you to be a fashion stylist. Even "styling " courses at FIT etc. are only an introduction to styling, just enough to sort of understand the direction you must take. The work to start a styling career comes during the 2 or 3 years after that. We learn by doing so we must find a way to get the work ... and we work free just to build a portfolio ...and we work to make connections, both with designers and with the people who hire stylists for our varied jobs. It comes slowly ... and no one ever asks us about our education ... they just want to see our resume and our portfolio.

Magazines ... there's a wide variety of studies that can get you in there, including liberal arts, journalism, and graphic design ...in addition to what you mentioned. Just different starting jobs ... then you move up to what you are interested in. Internships are very helpful.

The fashion comm. program at ryerson is supposed to be really fun, but you have to do a foundation year with the design students so be prepared to take patternmaking etc.

Fashion Communication in USA

Hi, my name is Carmen and I'm from Spain. I'm going to start to study Periodism in Madrid (Spain) and I would like to do a master or something similar to specialize in Fashion Communication, but I prefer to do it in USA to have more job opportunities in the future.
I would like to know where could I study it and how could I access to that courses.
Thank you so much, and sorry if it's not the correct thread to ask this.

for CSM and LCF, fashion communications is more of promoting and writing, lots of writing about one's design/work/artpiece. whereas marketing would be managing, overseeing, buying etcetc. much more the management and business side. although I think both of them would overlap slightly and when you actually look for a job they won't play a big difference, it all boils down to your talent and whether you have the gift/skill for it

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->