Getting the Word Out! Press Releases, Press Kits, Swag for Celebrities!

oh my God....I did realize that was supposed to read 'who represents'. is there something wrong with me?! :lol:

^^ I can't help reading it the other way myself!!

I will also admit that I read it was wh*re Presents too lol.
I was like, wh*re presents??!

What about by contacting their stylists?

I live in Atlanta and a few summers ago I came up with a very small "line" of accessories that I thought were hot, and wanted to test the market out. So I got online and did some research. I did alot of searching online for fashion stylists, and came up with alot of names. (I would do searches with phrases like, "styled for Scarlett Johansson" or "Usher's stylist".) Then I searched those people's names that came up and found some of their websites (even myspace pages), some even had an email or contact # on them.

I left mssgs (or sent emails) to a couple of stylists telling them that I admired their sense of style, read about them from whatever websites, and told them that I had some accessories I had designed that they could use for free in photoshoots.

Within a week I had my accessories featured in a shoot with a well-known producer/hip-hop artist here in Atlanta (and these were just prototypes, lol), but they liked them alot and used them on their female models in the shoot.

Off topic: This thread has made me realize yet again how much I really would like to be in this business full-time. I hope to start off with a very small line of accessories this winter to be marketed next spring.

^^That's a really good way.

Another thing is if you ever get a chance to meet a celeb, let them know you design and you'd love to send them something. Whenever I meet people, even if they're not that "big" but still in the buisness I let them know what I do and 90% they seem pretty interested. Never hurts to try.

Where to send fashion related Press Releases?

Does anyone know if there are specific websites dedicated to fashion related press releases? I plan to send one out through PRWeb.com or PRBusinesswire.com, but Im not really familiar w/ any others. I did a search for fashion related ones but I'm not sure which are credible and which are not.

If anyone can give me any tips about what to do with mine, it would be much appreciated!

Hmm what sort of Press Release is it? I'm not quite sure, but you might be able to send it to somewhere like Women's Wear Daily or Fashion Wire Daily... someone correct me if I'm wrong :flower: I'm just taking a stab here :unsure:

It's for an online boutique opening. I'll probably send it there, but I was just wondering if there was like some site similar to PRWeb but dedicated to fashion. Thanks for your help!

Product Placements in Magazines

I own a business and I'm trying to get my accessories featured in magazines articles - particularly celeb glossies such as People Style Watch and teen mags such as Teen Vogue. How should I go about doing this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Options:

Make friends with the relevant editors running the Front of Book and BoB sections.

Make friends with stylists directing fashion shoots for the magazines in question.

Become a regular advertiser.

Bribe models to wear your stuff.

PK

marketing

In todays market buying ads in paper print magazines, many of which are closing their operations. it is not a good use of funds or a realty for most. Read Seth Goldin, he's the genius of internet marketing and marketing strategies in general. http://sethgodin.typepad.com/

You can also hear him speak on the TED talks www.ted.com

You are better off placing ads, if you choose to experiment with that on blogs that are popular. The price can start at $45 per month vs $5,000 and up for magazines.

Be practical, educate yourself and keep as much cash in the coffer as possible.

Getting bloggers to promote your wares is certainly worth considering but there is a need to be very selective. And you will also find that the top 5% of fashion and luxury-oriented bloggers are rather selective themselves.

Advertising on their web pages is only cheap because top flight fashion and luxury brands tend to view advertising on the internet in general as akin to buying space on a billboard overlooking a Third World shanty town. This is why they are still allocating most of their advertising budgets to well-established print media. A $50k page in one of the leading editions of VOGUE or Bazaar could be described as preaching to the converted but it is really more about sending a message to the punters and the competition that one is in good financial shape.

A fringe benefit of stumping up the money for these ad rates is that the magazine is pretty much obliged to ensure exposure of your products or brand in their editorial pages. This leads to celebs wearing them because the stylists who dress them for red carpet events tend to work for the top titles and this in turn leads to punters imitating their idols.

For five grand, you might get a page in some grubby wannabe Indie magazine, or a DPS if you call them up on the last Friday before the issue goes to bed, but it is a waste of time because most of the print run is usually dumped in the nearest recycling bin by the distributors shortly after pick-up and the actual readership is often no more than 10-20% of the claimed readership.

Coming back to the blogosphere, choose your ad sites very carefully. Begin by checking the blogger out to see if (a) they can write coherently and (b) they have any profile exposure other than their blog page. In other words, do they get invited to half-decent events, launches and parties? If they do, they'll write about it. Do they contribute to print media? For a group of people who are always anticipating or promoting the demise of print media, they are always very happy to appear in 'proper' magazines.

If you're producing something that really is good, getting press is not too much of a problem as long as you understand the rules of the game. So you can't spend five-figure sums on ad pages? OK...why not identify the editors you need to be talking to and send them some 'samples', which they can keep. If they think your stuff is cool, they will use it and the chances are that people will ask them where it came from and that it will end up being featured.

PK

5k for grubb

This is partially true and in a down market with advertising sales slow one can negotiate price. I see yo live in Ireland and perhaps it is very different than how it works in the fashion biz in California. There are some good glossies in the USA but it's a wanning trend now. You could buy an ad and the publication fold before the ad comes out.

The person's question comes from NYC. I am assuming and possibly incorrectly or not. If someone is writing for information here they do not necessarily have a budget to spend 50k on an ad. If one did they would also have a PR firm in place.

Spending money to let ones 'competition' know you are solvent is dated, in my opinion and others.
There are sellers on Etsy pulling down 6 figures designing, making and selling accessories.

Exactly, the blogs are not necessarily going to even answer your request.
And above all you are 110% spot on. You need to know people in the industry.

I was just off to bed when this popped up again.

Dublin is small but has some pockets of sophistication. I would agree that the Dublin fashion scene is probably very different to your scene in California. Dubliners have to wear more clothes, for one thing. I actually live in Paris but spend a lot of time in Dublin (my native town), New York, Maine and other places.

I don't think that having a budget in place for advertising and promotions necessarily means that one will engage a PR firm or ad agency to spend it on one's behalf.

Spending big money on ad space to impress clients and competitors is certainly dated but the big firms and more than a few middling firms carry on doing it because they either believe it to be effective or see no viable alternative.

After all, the internet remains an elusive marketing tool for 'blue chip' enterprises because it is viewed as so downmarket. There have been a couple of promising ventures, indicating that there is a future in internet advertising at AB level but they were hampered by ill-considered factors such as the use of state-of-the-art Flash technology that proved incompatible with iPhones etc etc...

The problem of magazines folding after selling space in future issues is not confined to the States. It has been happening here in Europe too. I suppose one could seek solace in Darwinism and the whole survival of the fittest philosophy but people tend to look at one sideways when one expresses such sentiments. Regarding the waning quality of US glossies, your comment gave me pause for thought and, you know, sad though it is to say so, you are right.

US Vogue is very successful but it is also very 'commercial'. It doesn't have the class of, say, Russian Vogue. Bazaar hasn't been much good since Liz Tilberis died. Nylon was OK in the early days but lost its edgy creative momentum. Details was good once. US Vanity Fair isn't as good as it used to be: far too many Dominick Dunne retrospectives and overlong articles about mummified socialites fed on dogfood and cartoon industry executives I try to avoid on the beach in Harbour Island every year. But they really lost me when they portrayed the late boxer Max Schmeling as a Nazi. One can't libel the dead, of course, but it was bad journalism.

Mind you, this is subjective on my part. I've only written for a few US magazines and newspapers. But I keep up with them because my agents always have a good selection on their coffee table. Mind you, as the States emerges from its real life Planet of the Apes experiment of the past decade and homo sapiens gets a handle on government again, we might see a recovery in terms of print media quality. After all, there have been some great movies coming out of the States. Hard times always stimulate creativity.

Coming back to the topic and the questions posed by the author of the thread, I am just expressing my personal opinions. However, these opinions are based on experience that includes print media, the internet, advertising and branding in London, Paris and New York. And a few other places. If I seem a bit offhand or cynical about magazines sometimes, this is probably because I know how it works. Amongst other things, I was a Vogue contributing editor and a Vogue Hommes features director, as well as head of 'special projects'. My advice to Jihanemo is actually very serious.

PK

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. Thank you guys. You brought up some important things for me to consider!

Thanks for asking! I created my own press release back in February and sent it in to a popular celebrity/fashion glossy. Along w/ the press release, I mailed in a product sample. I haven't checked the latest issue of the magazine so I don't know if it has been featured yet.

Thanks for asking! I created my own press release back in February and sent it in to a popular celebrity/fashion glossy. Along w/ the press release, I mailed in a product sample. I haven't checked the latest issue of the magazine so I don't know if it has been featured yet.

Could you not send a sample to the celebrity or their agent who you would like to see wearing your designs. So many young designers do this. I know a jewellry designer who lives near me who sent some silver bangles she made to Kate Moss, she then wore them on a photo shoot, then took them home again. They were credited by the magazine and in turn she picked up sales.

It costs you money and it is a risk as to whether they will wear it but it is worth a try. Good luck :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->