Fashion Design Software

asta

Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips as to what the best computer aided fashion design software is? Which one do people use? Which has the best options? The best efficiency? Has anyone used any of them?

Thanks ahead for any help!

there is a number of great high tech professional programs
but those that i know are very specific and each does
only on ejob well.. (pattern design and grading, fabric design, etc)

Lectra is supposed to be the best provider of professional
fashion related programming but it's quite expensive
since it is targeting big production companies needs
and not start up or indie designers.

there may be more though, if anyone has details,
please post :flower:

lectra

Lena said:
there is a number of great high tech professional programs
but those that i know are very specific and each does
only on ejob well.. (pattern design and grading, fabric design, etc)

Lectra is supposed to be the best provider of professional
fashion related programming but it's quite expensive
since it is targeting big production companies needs
and not start up or indie designers.

there may be more though, if anyone has details,
please post :flower:

yes, lectra has a comple sistem for fashion and apparel.

- modaris (pattern desing and grading) this software has 6 levels (basic,prograder,styler,expert,fitnet,bodyclick)

basic and prograder are the most common levels for digitalizing and grading.
styler is excellent if you want to make patter into the computer.
expert makes easier the patter into the computer and it has funtions to cuttings machines.
fitnet is for made to measure.
and body click works if you have the body scanner.

i don`t know how much are them, but if you want to buy them; basic, prograder and styler are those you must have.

-diamino
diamino is a marker creation software, it has lavels, too, basic, flash market and expert, expert makes the best market but this is very expensive, i don`t know the price.

-kaledo (fashion desing)
kaledo is the best sofware for fashion desing, this has features for creative and technical desing, you can draw any kind of drawing, also it works with photos, and it allows you to insert or export (modaris and diamino files, microsoft files as word,excel,etc..)
the price is about $4.000 u.s. dllrs. it`s the most cheap lectra software

-gallery and mikallis
both of them are similar, but gallery has advanced funtions for huge companies, with them, you control the process of your products, (quality process, patter, production, exports,cost etc...)

gallery is about $7.000, but you need to buy also kaledo, and mikallis is about $8.000, but mikallis has two softwares spect and sketh (but the spect has lesser funtions than gallery).

-primavision
primavision is for textiles applications, you can make waves,knitts, jaquard,prints.
this software is something complicated, because you should know everything about fabrics, and it has levels, i don`t know how much is it, but the whole software is about $40.000 dlls.

-4uia
i don`t know anything about it, but this is the most expensive lectra`s desing software about $70,000 or more.

-catalog
it makes a virtual catalogue, for sales.
this is very cool, it has 3 (drapper, builder and viewer), if you want to buy it, you shold have one drapper and one builder, and the viewers are for each store that you have.
i don`t know the price.

-3d visual merchandising
i think it`s one of the most expensives softwares, about 200,000 or more, this allows you to control you stores in the world, for example louis vuitton, zara, gap, and huge chains have it.

-optiplan
it`s for cutting machines, i don`t know how to use it yet.

also lectra has more softwares for clothes, shoes, furniture, luggage, aerospace, cars, etc.

cournalie_clash said:
wow u know so much!

If you live in america you can request a demo at international advanced technology centers in Atlanta, USA or Mexico City, Mexico.

i know who are the managers in mexico city, if you have any doubt feel free to ask me^_^

trendoid said:
Is there anything available for under $1000?

i dont think so, maybe the software who converts modarisfiles to gerber, but i`ll ask :wink:

here a quotation (special price for more than 10 licenses of each product:(

all in US Dollars

softwares:

kaledo style: $3,100
diamino mark pack: $5,400
modaris mode pro: $6,100
digitalizing table: $2,100
alys 30 plotter: $12,989
flex id key: $80

services for each computer:

intallation of hardware: $880
installation of net: $280
installation of software: $300

also the training courses are about $1000 for a whole week, but it depends what software do you need the training.

Another option is to learn to use AutoCAD or any other CAD program. Essentially pattern CAD softwares just have things built into them to make your job easier, such as automatic grading or predone slopers. But if you know how to use CAD you can do this all yourself. It will take a bit longer as you are doing it instead of using the predefined information but it's way cheaper and if you want to just practise you can easily download AutoCAD for free from a file sharing program. (legally of course you can not do this and use the patterns but honestly if you like it enough and have your own business you will eventually buy it anyway as it is not that expensive). I also think there are a few CAD programs out there that are totally free but I use AutoCAD so I'm not sure what they are, try doing a search.

You should be able to take a CAD program at a local technical college, or even highschool in some cities, for pretty cheap and get your way around any CAD program. Remember that you have to know how to draft patterns to use any computer program first unless you want only basic clothing items and alterations that are already defined in the program so don't think that you can just buy a program so that you don't have to learn the manual method. If you don't know how to do it manually you will not be able to create exactly what you want through a computer program.

Now, if you are just looking at having a pattern making software for yourself, to make very basic patterns or alter the fit of ones that are predefined in the program, I recommend Wild Ginger.
http://www.wildginger.com

Their programs range in price from free to $675.

Design software

I was just surfing around looking to see if someone had created a fashion forum and landed here.

I think I can fill in some gaps to the answers provided so far.

The amount you spend will depend on what you want to do with the software.
If you are looking to design artistically you need little more than adobe Illustrator and Photoshop, which is what most of the industry primarily uses and wants.

When you get into larger well to-do companies in the industry they tend to have more off the shelf software such as Lectra, Primavision, Nedgraphics, Sophis, Pointcarre, etc. All very expensive and used for engraving to print purposes, woven and knit design.

Lectra, Gerber (in partner with Ned Graphics) also produce software for (PDM) patternmaking, and grading. "Technical Design"
I've worked with Gerber but not extensively. Others turn to cheaper alternatives such as AutoCad industry standard software.

I can't give you any recommendations for PDM, but if all you want to do is design collections with flare and style, be very comfortable with Adobe Illustrator, it can be used to develop silhouttes, fabric patterns, special effects. It's the bread and butter of the industry in my opinion. Know a little photoshop, understand it enough to be able to follow a tutorial in a forum to develop you're desired special effects.

It's worth mentioning that Macromedia Freehand is used by many including myself. It has it's upsides and downsides like Illustrator. It's particularly useful if you plan on taking to the web with Macromedia Flash.

A good place to check out peoples work is http://styleportfolios.com/
It's a good variety of skill levels and techniques people are using to develop different product.

seems ok, but i dont like their sketch templates, they seem a bit rough and kind of non-professional, like a drawing someone could do at school..

but then, it's very economic..
and like you said, not too bad for sportswear..

yea, I guess it's for people who really can't draw templates its an ok program ... I dont own it though

i'd like to know about more design software..
please post links if available :flower:

I think there was a thread about this before, maybe under CAD software? Or patternmaking? I just remember getting info here about a number of different programs before.

thanks for bringing this up rockit,
merged with older thread :wink:

Hello everyone.

I'm trying to find some information for a friend of mine. She's very interested in fashion, very creative and wants to be a designer. As she has some free time at the moment, she is keen to learn about the fashion industry, which brings me to her main question..

What software (if any) do fashion designers use to create their work? Is it even done using computers? If so, could you let me know what software would be best for her to learn / become acquainted with.

Many thanks

I think that Jekylls reply brings it to the point best, you have to divide between the technical and the creative side. For the technical side you really need a proper education as pattern maker for example. But to be a Designer it is not implicitly necessary to know all about these things, of course you should know how you want to construct a jacket, a skirt or whatever (nevertheless its an advantage to cumulate as much knowlegde as you you can from both sides). I use Photoshop for the Illustration part and Illustrator for the technical drawings, it is useful to buy a wacom graphic tablet (www.wacom.com) because you can do color gradiations in Photoshop and of course it is a much more natural feeling to use, I'm working with the small Graphire tablet which is about 45$ at Amazon. If you want to spend more you can get an A4 or even A3 size tablet, so you can copy your sketch you made on an A4 sheet in scale 1:1 to Photoshop or Illustrator/Freehand. So if you have more questions feel free to ask!

Last edited by a moderator:
Which Software To Use for Fashion Designing in Computer?

Which Software To Use for Fashion Designing in PC?

Hey guys, I need help, I am currently applying as a designer for a local brand and they have asked me to do a collection If i can make them on Photoshop or Corel, it would be better as the client prefers them to be computer-rendered.

How will I do it? Is there a specific Corel or Adobe program?

Do I draw using mouse?

Waaaah! Im gonna die!

People, I need your help I need to submitt this collection by Monday. Thanks in advance, everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->