Fashion Design Software

i have a friend who does it in photoshop, on a tablet pc, so you can just 'draw' directly onto the 'canvas', without having to bother about scans and such. however the learning curve for photoshop can get a little steep, particularly if you intend on rendering special effects, so i'm not sure if it's the best programme at such short notice :unsure:

to the best of my knowledge, the pen tool is used for curves. (at least, that's what i use when i'm doing digital art in photoshop)

this thread might prove a little more helpful, because i'm still relatively new to the program myself :smile:

By Monday?? :shock: oohh.. I wonder if that'll be enough time.. Anyway, let's look on the bright side: (I'll tell you what I use and hopefully it'll give you some insight)
1. I use Corel Painter 8 (mostly for coloring in) & Photoshop Elements (for touching up).. both programs are expensive, (I only have the trial version of Corel Painter which you can download of the net) and I got Photoshop for free with some software.
2. I preferably scan my images that I have drawn, because it's time consuming to draw them on the computer if you're not a pro. And I'm certainly not a pro, so scan away to save time.
3. Use a tablet to color your things in, it'll be like drawing on paper and much easier than a mouse. I use a Genius tablet. Wacom tablets are the best though but reeaallyy expensive.
4. I open the scanned images with Corel Painter, and "paint" the scanned image, there are tons of brushes that you use. I tend to use the 'Oils: Fine Camel brush' and blend the colours together with the 'Tinting: Diffuser or Softener'. Use 'layers' to paint your image, because if you don't like something, you can just delete that layer. Save the picture as a jpeg. image (it's the most common one) and make sure the settings are on excellent so your picture doesn't turn out looking grainy.

I hope some of this made sense to you, coz I know it must all be very confusing. I hope I was of some help. Just an example: Below is a picture I drew and scanned, colored on corel painter. It took about 5 hours (I try to be a perfectionist) but you can always rush to get your collection done by Monday. Good luck!

pi.jpg

what?!?! :o have my eyes deceive me? am i really reading this? a true fashion designer use sketches. just like a true artist use canvas and OIL paint.

unless you're referring to graphic designs?

kinkexplosion said:
Which Software To Use for Fashion Designing in PC?

Hey guys, I need help, I am currently applying as a designer for a local brand and they have asked me to do a collection If i can make them on Photoshop or Corel, it would be better as the client prefers them to be computer-rendered.

How will I do it? Is there a specific Corel or Adobe program?

Do I draw using mouse?

Waaaah! Im gonna die!

People, I need your help I need to submitt this collection by Monday. Thanks in advance, everyone!

fashion design softwear

Hi,

Me & a friend are launching our own clothing line consisting of mens t-shirts & shirts. We have our final designs sketched up on paper, but we want to find a way to transfer them onto the computer & then even possibly transfer them design onto an image of a male body, click the link for an explanation for what I mean www.ebooksresellonline.com/test.jpg (obviously we would not use the dolce & gabanna image, but our own instead, I just used it as an example)

The reason we want to do is so we can get an idea of how the product is going to look in real life and mix & match color swatches and possibly send the designs to friends & family for their opinions before we go ahead and pay a couple of thousand dollars on samples. I know there is certain software that can do this, such as www.cdesignfashion.com & www.optitex.com. But all of these put design onto a 3D figure instead of a real life person.

Does anyone know of any software that can do this???? I did a fashion design course back in 2001 for two and a half years but they never covered anything software related.

Best software for making your own designs (to be silkscreened on clothes later)?

Hi, do you guiys think Photoshop is goof enough to make designs on, that would later be printed out and silkscreened onto clothing for my fashion label? Or the photoshop softwear is good enough to use, and send it to the company who makes the clothes and they would do the rest? Or should I just hire a graphic designer to make my designs?

Can you use a program to make your flats, or pay someone?

Hi, is it better to use a computer program to make all your fashion flats, or could you pay someone to make them for you? Whats better.

Whats the best computer software for making flats?

Hey, I plan on making my fashion flats with the help of computer program, whats the best to use? thanks.

^ please dont flood the forums with the same questions over and over again..
thanks

I suggest using Illustrator and Photoshop, CAD, programs like that.

Design Software? Anyone use PAD?

I'm learning how to use PAD Master Pattern ( http://www.padsystem.com/en/master_pattern_design.html ), and REALLY I'm impressed at how primitive it is; and how much it costs. But hey, it's easy to learn if you can do Illustrator.

Anyway, does anyone here know how to successfully import an Adobe Ill file? I've been exporting as .DXF but it's never consistent. Any ideas?

What other software is used in the industry?

At my school we use Adobe CAD, U4ia (which I hate), and Mikalis... of the 3 my fave is Adobe, it just works best for what I want to do and I find it the easiest to figure out how to use.

Actually, I prefer Illustrator, because you still get some blur with Photoshop, and that is eliminated and crispier with Illustrator, even though they are both vector-based.

I think it all depends on what designs you want
One good reason to use Photoshop is that you can alter photographic imagery (photos of people's faces, these kind of highly detailed things) and be able to use it as a silkscreen.
This problem about blurring natalieharris is mentioning can be fixed by doing the same thing you would to photographs on Photoshop (because the gradients in photographs will cause problems-- you have to change them to 'halftone')

Actually I was doing just this earlier today :P
I made both hand drawn prints for silk screen, as well as monoprint/found object and photograph silk screen

Last edited by a moderator:
You can use a photocopy machine if need be. Draw your design black and white, and then photocopy onto transparency paper (if you're doing it by hand and by yourself). You can take care of the areas that aren't dense enough with a brush and some black acrylic paint.

Or do your design in Photoshop, high resolution, please, and then either print on trans again, or send it out to be digitized.

Or do it in Photoshop and use the magic wand/export clipping paths to export to Illustrator in EPS. format. Or just do it in Illustrator.

My point is there are many methods to do it and my methods above are listed from easiest to hardest and roughest to sharpest. And if you're doing it yourself, blurring should be the last of your worries. How else are you going to get that hand-rendered one-of-a-kind look? Most silk screeners will want a vector file for mass production.

^Ah oui
With the transparency fourboltmain is talking about, the process is called photo emulsion
And you put this gunk on your screen, lay the transparency with your design on top, and expose it to light (I heard you can use regular sunlight but we have a giant machine with a lot of light bulbs that does it automatically--you turn it off after 20min)

Then you wash your screen in water and the parts exposed to light will be rinsed off and the rest (the design) will keep intact

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
l3db3l
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"