Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising (FIDM) Los Angeles

tangiblelove

Reaction score
I am applying to FIDM and I was hoping if anyone has gone to FIDM or is attending now that they could give me some advice. I'm having my interview in a month and I really want advice on what goes on there, things to say, what to wear and what to bring. I'm also extremly worried about my sketches and was interested on how good they have to be and how to make mine better. Thanks to anyone who replys!

tangiblelove said:
I am applying to FIDM and I was hoping if anyone has gone to FIDM or is attending now that they could give me some advice. I'm having my interview in a month and I really want advice on what goes on there, things to say, what to wear and what to bring. I'm also extremly worried about my sketches and was interested on how good they have to be and how to make mine better. Thanks to anyone who replys!

dpn't go there their school is horrible their idea of an internship is folding clothes at the gap

well again i am just applying, i havent decided to go there yet. i may choose a different school to attend but either way im going to apply to FIDM if for nothing else at least practice for other schools. So again if anyone has any advice on the interview and sketches i would greatly appreciate them! thanks!

Eshatorres said:
dpn't go there their school is horrible their idea of an internship is folding clothes at the gap

well to get to the top you have to understand all aspects of the business so yes you may start off folding clothes at the gap but at the same time you gain experience on what it is like, how they are treated and you gain a better understanding of the whole picture.

Like in hotel business, even though you're working to be at the top as a manager, you still have to work in the laundry room, as a maid, in the kitchen, and as a bell boy. that way you understand the whole industry, broadening your knowledge of the business, not being narrowminded and just focusing on being a manager.

To be at the top, you need to understand the needs, and what people in lower ranked jobs do as their job. Working as a sales assisstant doesnt just involve folding clothes. Theres a lot more to it and thats why you intern there. You gain an understanding of how a clothing shop runs, ideas start springing to mind like how you like or dont like the lay out of the shop and what you would change if it were yours.

I say, dont just think of it as "folding clothes at the gap" think of it as an experience... and theres nothing wrong with that. oh and by the way, you cant judge a university and say its "horrible" just because of working at the gap... That is a GOOD thing.

kettlin said:
well to get to the top you have to understand all aspects of the business so yes you may start off folding clothes at the gap but at the same time you gain experience on what it is like, how they are treated and you gain a better understanding of the whole picture.

Like in hotel business, even though you're working to be at the top as a manager, you still have to work in the laundry room, as a maid, in the kitchen, and as a bell boy. that way you understand the whole industry, broadening your knowledge of the business, not being narrowminded and just focusing on being a manager.

To be at the top, you need to understand the needs, and what people in lower ranked jobs do as their job. Working as a sales assisstant doesnt just involve folding clothes. Theres a lot more to it and thats why you intern there. You gain an understanding of how a clothing shop runs, ideas start springing to mind like how you like or dont like the lay out of the shop and what you would change if it were yours.

I say, dont just think of it as "folding clothes at the gap" think of it as an experience... and theres nothing wrong with that. oh and by the way, you cant judge a university and say its "horrible" just because of working at the gap... That is a GOOD thing.

thanks for the feedback! Good point on the positives of working at the gap lol i would work anywhere if it helped me get to the top of the fashion community, so i guess if anyone needs some kackis give me a call. if anyone else has anymore advice please give it, thanks!

does anyone have any actual advice on applications, sketches or interview? i really need any help i can get and i hope some of you could share your experiences abour applying to fashion college, thanks again!

I'm posting again to try to keep this post alive, I have my interview in a couple of days and I'm freaking out and I would really, really love any advice you have to give!

i went to FIDM, but i was probably the oldest in my classes.i think i was
24 at the time, so i was more focused than the other students.
FIDM is great when you actually take advantage of their resources, such as
their library and predictives, but otherwise... eh...
their job placement is a joke. do you want to major in fashion design?
if so, some of the instructors are excellent and i really did learn a lot from them... but its really what you make of it, like any education.

don't get me wrong, but i wish i took out a bigger loan and
went to otis!

I finally had my interview the other day and it went fabulous! I still don't know what school I'm going to for sure, I'm thinking maybe the art institue in san francisco or f.i.t. but if anyone wants any advice on their interview w/fidm I would be happy to give it!

about fidm

Hi Esha,

About FiDM
I think you should let your experience speak for itself. Your visit to FiDM is your answer.

People can say anything they want. The key is always ask advice from someone who looks happy or is happy with their work and/or life.

I'm a FiDM grad and I love FiDM. I wouldn't trade it for the world. I work for a fashion trade publication and we just finished doing media coverage of FiDM LA campus.

I already knew how wonderful it was. Everyone is just so nice there. To me that's enough and it's comforting to know that they are willing to help you. The rest is up to you.

This is the place you need to be if you want to succeed in fashion. I've also had a chance to check out Otis before. It's quite nice and appropriate. but I can only speak from my experience. FiDM LA campus is definitely a good start for a student who is looking to be in fashion. It's a lot easier if you're a FiDM grad.

There are enough resources here at FiDM to satisfy the most toughest & pickiest fashion research experts.

Oh, their LA campus building is just great too. There is the design studio, production room, costume gallery, and if you like fashion and clothing and accessories you would probably be enjoying the folding.. (as you're blabbering with your co-workers and/or possibly talking to a customer at the same time and having fun with it!)

It helps to have good sketches but at the end it's really your passion that will help you. Remember that's why you're going so you can learn. They'll teach you and help you get even better at your passion.(hopefully it's fashion related)

Thank you for listening & all the best.

malkaus

Your so right, im graduating from FIDM soon and I love that school!

by the way

about blabbering with your co-workers and helping a customer at the same time.. Please try not to be rude. I just meant have fun with what you're doing and not be self absorbed. well just be nice.

thanks again & it's good to hear different viewpoints -malkaus

If you're a fashion student, e-mail me at [email protected]
I would be glad to e-mail you back with a list of online resources for fashion and related industries(mainly LA fashion industry) incl. fashion, beauty, entertainment

Fidm

I just got accpeted into FIDM
and I wanted to know a little more about it....
I think I will major in visual merchandising or product development and I was just wondering if the school is as good as it appears.....

^Rtwprincess, congrats on getting accepted! I graduated about two months ago with a degree in prod dev. What is it that you ultimtely want to do? Because choosing your major will be crucial and both of those are VERY different. Prod dev prepares you for ton of different careers but with visual merchandising you'll be a bit more limitd.

Whether the school is as good as it seems will just depend on what you're expecting. I was happy with everything there...the professors, the campus, the curriculum, etc. Housing is a different subject, lol. If you have specific questions feel free to ask me!

I am getting my associate in fashion in about a year and i am planning on apply at FIDM, within two years will i get my bachelor if i attend there?

i think a better question to ask would be how many students here have actually been rejected, because I could bet that they accept 100 percent of the people who apply, and actually finish the application process.

that school is so bootleg that they accept everyone and anyone who completes the whole interview portfolio process, and that's that you don't even need to have a good portfolio, grades, etc.

thats not true! lol i applied there and didnt get in ! no wonder my grades in high school sucked! well they didnt turn me down but the told me to go to a community college to bring up my GPA its really not a bad skool again i think its what you make of your expirience! i dont think they offer a bachelors program.

FIDM doesn't offer B.A. degrees, only A.A. degree. The only b.A. they offer is for some some sort of Business major. Make sure you check everything out before you decide to go there!

Im in the process of applying ( my interview via phone is this week) and I'm planning on majoring in Merchandise Marketing, anyone have any advice, stories, etc? I know that math is a big part of the curriculum but is it incredibly difficult?

^No, it's not because the professors are really good at explaining things to you and some of the professors have take home exams which helps. Not to say that I got a great grade in any of the math clases :innocent: but Im terrible at Math so its a miracle I even passed.

And if anyone wants any info about FIDM, do ask someone who has actually attended and graduated from there instead of people just running their mouths with hearsay ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->