What to wear to fashion school interview

tangiblelove

Reaction score
I had an interview with FIDM the other day and was shocked when I saw the way everyone was dressed! Everyone had on jeans and tshirts, I know this is california but come on people flip flops are just not a responsible look at least in my opinion...I wore a nice skirt and a conserative top with personality and these new great marc jacobs shoes I just bought...My question is what does everyone reccomend you wear to a fashion school interview? Should you show your personal style? How conserative or dressy should you dress?...I have my final interview at FIDM in about a week and I was going to wear this pencil skirt I just bought with a nice shirt, blazer and heels. Any opinions?

:o No one should go to an interview in a t-shirt, jeans, and flip flops! No matter what the interview is for!

Seriously, what to wear to an interview is the thing puzzling me most about going to fashion school. If you think about it, all successful designers dress themselves like clowns! I'm totally at a loss for how to look creative enough and still onoffensve.

When I went to visit FIDM in San Francisco a few months ago, everyone was dressed in the typical San Francisco hipster style. Example: tight black pants/jeans, band t-shirt, Converse All Stars. When I did talked to the admissions lady, I wore a printed Betsey Johnson dress, blazer, and boots. You won't be turned down just because you aren't dressed well. Wear what you're comfortable in but try to make a good impression. You'll probably get in as long as you have the money. That's the impression I got.

i have friends in art/fashion school and from what i can see, it is a completely different ball game......
t-shirts and ripped jeans dont offend....
sandals arent a crime.....
you can have spraypaint all over yourself and piercings coming out of everywhere..... bright colours in your hair and mismatched shoes and whatever else may have hit you that particular morning.....

they are about inspiration and creativity.....
from what i can see, they appreciate that vibe....
which is not to say they wouldnt appreciate it if you dressed up in a suit, or wore something more conservative....
but you're there to be yourself and allow your creativity to flourish.....it isnt going to be like going to a business meeting......

i'm not going to tell you how to dress because i myself am not in fashion school and dont want to give you false advice....
you would definitely be better hearing some first hand opinions....
but good luck, and just relax and be yourself....

:flower:....

i think you should wear what you feel comfortable in, something that reallys brings to the table what your all about, what your personality is and so forth

i'm not in fashion school so i really wouldn't know..but i do agree with what adorefaith wrote..especaially the abit about it's not like goign to a business meeting...just be yourself..otherwise you may look liek your trying too hard

:flower: :flower: :flower:

oh..and GOOD LUCK!!! ^_^

Thanks for everyones input! At my last interview I did wear an outfit that I think showed what I'm all about and was creative just a little toned down since I tend to like pretty extreme fashion and I am planning on doing that again so it sounds like I'm doing the right thing. Although, if anyone still has any opinions feel free to post because its still not for a week and I would love any other ideas and maybe this post can also help other people...

Fabulyss said:
:o No one should go to an interview in a t-shirt, jeans, and flip flops! No matter what the interview is for!

Thanks Fabulyss, I'm very greatful someone agrees with me that jeans, tshirts and flip flops is an obvious bad choice. Not that I appreciate anyone elses opinion any less I was just beginning to think I was crazy or something for not understanding the beach bum look at an interview.

I personally think, that you should wear whatever's comfortable. If you're in comfy clothes, your personality will shine through during the interview. Also, you should definitely wear something that reflects on your style.
Maybe. casual. a bit feminine. preppy. cute. just, not too rough. like flip flops...

Something fashionable, of course :lol: But not take it too far, you should make it pretty simple, but take som elements of the runway. And it's not negative if you try to look more classy and muture !

it doesn't matter where you go for the interview, you are what you wear...that's the impression you make. being neat and on-time are incredibly important and neither dampers creativity...it's about respect, self and towards others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rearjepaj
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->