The Language of Fashion: Which language is best to study?

Mandarin Chinese is gradually becoming a top language in business. You don't need to know it in order to succeed in your career, but I'm just saying.

However, I think the true answer really depends on where you're working. In certain parts of the United States, for example, it can be a necessity to have a moderate knowledge of Spanish. But that's not the case for everywhere around the world.

English, French, Italian and Mandarin.

I don't know why people are saying Cantonese.. that language is only spoken in HK & Singapore.

uhm...... and the whole of Guangdong? the chinese province with the highest growth in migrants over the past 10 years and THE booming textile industry there?

but it's true, business language in China is mando.

i think italian is SO important. though i could also be thinking so cause it's the only language out of the liste ones that i don't know :lol:

Cantonese, as a dialect, originates from Guangdong. Hong Kong used to be a part of Guangdong, thats why HKers speak canto.

don't tell me you live in HK and never set foot in Guangdong :shock:

I'd say French!
And then maybe Russian too.
Aaaaand Japanese.

(Basically the languages I speak, haha. Except for French! I speak German instead...)

^ Don't they speak Mandarin in Guangdong?

Yeah they do, and well Cantonese is pretty much useless out of HK as you said earlier. And they speak mainly mandarin in Singapore as well. So if we're talking most useful, then of course it will be Mandarin because all of China speaks it while Cantonese is more limited.

But ultimatel i'd say French is important even if alot of people speak English because if you work out of Paris fluent French is extremely helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
the latest foreign language that's creeping up to the list of "must-know" is Portuguese. one word: Brazil + Fashion = bright future together...

The most important languages are where the clients are likely to come from.

English is the dominant language, but if you want to work with couture and blue-chip houses Arabic and Russian have been strongly recommended because of the extreme wealth in those regions and their dedication to the purchase of fashion.

Portuguese? Nah. Models come out of Brazil like cockroaches, but top fleet designers internationally? A few breaking through onto the NYC scene (English), but the clients don't come from there.

Liaising with clients is the most important aspect of the business. The business itself is run in English when you eject the models (who are all instructed immediately in English, but most learn French and Italian on top of their native tongue and the English - of course, some are awful at all except their mother tongue) and truthfully, models are clothing hangers, not that important: always expendable and replaceable. So if clients make the industry thrive? I can confirm three major houses recommend them, as well as Cantonese (Hong Kong, yeah?).

If you want to impress in the industry one of those three will get you places.

as far as emerging markets is concern, Latin America especially Brazil , has money being poured into and yes, Portuguese , will soon be a must-learned foreign language in ones resume.

Really? Cos I just have applied at about six places and been asked on three interviews for top fleet houses what languages I know and at no time was Portuguese mentioned at all.

I highly doubt it will be a must-learned foreign language for at least ten years. It doesn't have the same wealthy consumer base that Russia and the Arab states do. Period.

And right now, Russia is the emerging state. More and more Russians are being admitted to the couture federation and being seen front row at the top shows. In PR for example, one of the rolodexes I just saw was about 40% Russian customers. Ridic how much they will spend.

.^..and this is not just for designer houses, it's for all facet of the industry (that correlates with fashion).

French is still a foreign language that is still important. first and foremost.

Dubai don't necessarily have you learned Arabic for many of them speak English well since majority of them have British education or have residences there. It's only for terrorism will arabic is a mandatory foreign language that needs to be learned. But if you have some knowledge of Arabic it certainly won't hurt.

Dubai don't necessarily have you learned Arabic for many of them speak English well since majority of them have British education or have residences there. It's only for terrorism will arabic is a mandatory foreign language that needs to be learned. But if you have some knowledge of Arabic it certainly won't hurt.

Wow. You just took the most rapidly spreading language and reduced it to terrorism. I'm stunned.

It's the language of the largest religion in the world, the core of the fastest growing demographic in international wealth, and with certain areas finally opening and being more receptive to western influences: a key area of western business expansion, mostly in relation to the obscene and fabulous wealth.

As I said before, but will restate, English is the unofficial language of the entire industry: by far. My friend is in Paris at Chanel and doesn't speak more than 'no', yes, and where's the bathroom, basically, in French. She uses English at all times.

Arabic has been asked of me in two interviews, both for luxury brands, but not couture because the spread and desire to go into Dubai and Jordan is pinnacle right now.

.^..and this is not just for designer houses, it's for all facet of the industry (that correlates with fashion).

In general, I have seen more Russians and Arab up front and on the front rows of the shows recently than any other nationality. They're coming to equal representation as British, American, French, and Italian fashionistas, and almost more willing to spend. This is true at brands like Chanel, Dior - both in RTW and HC, but also very intimate at brands like Bottega Veneta, Pringle of Scotland, Simonetta Ravizza - the last two for their very fine winter wears or furs on SR's part.

So I wasn't addressing just designer houses, but in general working in the industry. In PR Arabic and Russian are being stressed. In marketing, also. On the practical side of business administration those two are key languages with English, French, and Italian - but French and Italian depend on where you work.

i'm not here to compete who has more of an influence, associates, degrees, education ,knowledge of such prestige. I too have friends and closed ties in Paris as well... globally ,if you will. however, I'm not discounting Arabic, but i won't put them as a must learned language at this time. IT certainly help if you speak it. in fact if you're multi-trilingual it helps. period.

And as far as terrorism, if you applied to any government jobs with high pay a knowledge of Arabic is a must in ones resume.

Wow. You just took the most rapidly spreading language and reduced it to terrorism. I'm stunned.

It's the language of the largest religion in the world, the core of the fastest growing demographic in international wealth, and with certain areas finally opening and being more receptive to western influences: a key area of western business expansion, mostly in relation to the obscene and fabulous wealth.

As I said before, but will restate, English is the unofficial language of the entire industry: by far. My friend is in Paris at Chanel and doesn't speak more than 'no', yes, and where's the bathroom, basically, in French. She uses English at all times.

Arabic has been asked of me in two interviews, both for luxury brands, but not couture because the spread and desire to go into Dubai and Jordan is pinnacle right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SailorMoon1993
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->